Old 05-22-2010, 20:14   #61
zauber1
Auxiliary

Retirement?

When CPT Castro retires, will he be eligible for regular retirement or will he be medically discharged or receive 100% disability? Will there be any distinction? Was he retained so that he could get in his 20? It seems to me that a full medical disability would pay more than staying in for 20. If this is the case, he is even more a worthy individual to not let financiual reasons sway his decision to remain in harness.

On another note, I proudly served under BG Fred Franks at 7th Army in Grafenwoehr. BG Franks left a leg in RVN and set a precedent of remaining on active duty after his injury. He still ran PT with his prosthesis in the days of not very well designed artificial limbs.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:48   #62
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc View Post
Next MFer I hear sniveling about how hard training is, I'm punching in the neck.

DOL
NDD,

I just love it, the punching in the neck part..............

BIG Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 18:41   #63
Green Light
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by zauber1 View Post
When CPT Castro retires, will he be eligible for regular retirement or will he be medically discharged or receive 100% disability? Will there be any distinction? Was he retained so that he could get in his 20? It seems to me that a full medical disability would pay more than staying in for 20. If this is the case, he is even more a worthy individual to not let financiual reasons sway his decision to remain in harness.
On another note, I proudly served under BG Fred Franks at 7th Army in Grafenwoehr. BG Franks left a leg in RVN and set a precedent of remaining on active duty after his injury. He still ran PT with his prosthesis in the days of not very well designed artificial limbs. That man was a hero.

I was making my 6th jump at the Q course as a strap hanger. He was sitting next to me and noticed that I was nervous (I'd never made a night jump). He elbowed me in the side with that big smile of his and asked me what was wrong. I told him that I hadn't jumped at night in a long time (ever!) He assured me that it was just like jumping the daytime, only darker. He then looked down at his boot and said "damn! It's untied again." He took his leg off and tightened the boot. Then he took out a boot lace and tied from the top of his boot to his belt and said "the last time I jumped, I lost the dammed thing!" Shock and disbelief overcame my nerviousness about jumping at night.

The next time I served with him, he was a our B tm SGM. The unit dropped into Colorado. Carlos decided to aim for the DZ ambulance but landed on the other side. After his PLF, he took his leg and turned it around backwards. He began to yell in pain. A brand-new female, leg 91B medic came running over and saw the horribly damaged leg, completely turned 180 from where it should have been. She blanched and said "oh crap! What should I do? Someone help me!" Carlos looked at her and said "Here's what you do" when he took his plastic leg and turned it back 180 degrees. Her eyes crossed and she passed out. Carlos loved doing that. Last I saw him he was a civilian at SWC but may have retired by now. He was a legend.

"If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference does it make to me?"
TJ
Green Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:51   #64
Gimp
Asset

Hey Zauber...

The key is making it to 20 for retirement; 20 locks you in for the 50%. When he does go to retire he's going to have to do a medboard. Well, let me back up. The way the system works now is everyone who has a serious injury does a medboard. When I say injury I don't mean just combat wounded. IOT stay on active duty you have to submit a COAD (Continuation On Active Duty) packet. IOT qualify for the COAD program you have to fall in at least one of three categories:

1) Combat wounded
2) Critically short MOS
3) Have at least 15 years of service

There has been exceptions to these standards but if you have at least one of the three you're good. You go through the medboard process as you normally would. You get a narrative summary written out by the lead Doc on your case which is what initiates your medboard. The NARSUM list's everything that is wrong with you. Under the new DES system it gets pushed over to the VA IOT make appointments at the local VA facility. The VA Docs evaluate and document all of your problems and after that they push it to the PEBLO (Physical Evaluation Board Liaison Officer). While that's going on you go out and find the highest ranking people in your chain of command and get letters of recommendation to submit along with your COAD packet. Once you have that you give it to the PEBLO and he pushes it all to the MEB (Medical Evaluation Board. From that point, barring any severe cognitive issues, it freezes the process and allows you to continue along your merry way.

We've had well over 200 people in SOF do COAD packets in the last 5 years and only 3 have been denied. The ones that were denied were guys with cognitive issues. Also, IOT COAD you must be able to perform a full days worth of work with minimal assistance (that is variable by Command).

Now with all that being said, Ivan and many others are going to have to do the medboard ALL OVER again when they retire. I understand why they do it but its still a pain in the ass. Since he'll be at 20 or over his retirement is good and won't be affected. It's for guys that are under 20 is where it gets squirrely. Under current law guys who are medically retired with less than 20 get CRSC plus VA disability. CRSC is a confusing system. It's original intent was to give concurrent receipt but got lost in translation on the way to Capitol Hill. Just like disability under 100% there is no rhyme or reason to how much you get.

Now there is a proposal in front of Congress right now to give Chapter 61 retirees, medically retired, individuals both but its probably going to die in debate. For one it's attached to a bunch of other PORK and left wing liberal proposals and secondly if it did pass it would only be in affect for two years. After that Congress would have to re-authorize it or let it die and let roughly 5000 veterans take a big cut in benefits.

Last edited by Gimp; 06-07-2010 at 02:15.
Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:18   #65
Reaper411
Asset

The CPT is still going strong

I just came across this article in Runner's World and read about CPT Castro... Amazing!!!

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...3736-0,00.html

"It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so." - Will Rogers
Reaper411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:16   #66
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

H

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3096434/...14724#43114724
Go Ivan go!!

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol

Last edited by blue02hd; 05-24-2011 at 11:18.
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:33   #67
mcmac61
Asset

I am proud to have worked and served with Ivan back in 3/7th SFG (A). He is a great guy and it is always a good feeling to see someone who is well deserved get promoted.
mcmac61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:06   #68
Dan
Administrators

"I will never quit"

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...-espn-magazine
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:32   #69
head
Quiet Professional

I had the honor to run as his guide for a half-marathon earlier this year. He is an incredible man.