Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > The Aid Bag

Old 06-24-2008, 18:47   #61
Doczilla
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatsurgeon View Post
I guess it depends how you come to obtain the medical tape....
What tape do I have access to that is waterproof???? I don't think any of them are.
ss
I think foam chest tube tape is.

'zilla
Old 06-24-2008, 19:04   #62
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doczilla View Post
I think foam chest tube tape is.

'zilla
you might be right...it stands the best chance of being waterproof...problem is it is bulky and a bitch to use correctly...not a good choice for field (combat) use.

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 19:31   #63
Doczilla
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatsurgeon View Post
you might be right...it stands the best chance of being waterproof...problem is it is bulky and a bitch to use correctly...not a good choice for field (combat) use.
I'm with you on that. I like it for the sidelines at the football games, though, as well as our sustained operations bag for SWAT, which rides in the truck. As I digress from the thread.

'zilla
Old 09-22-2008, 17:24   #64
AF Doc
Asset

SS --

Great thread, thanks. I don't have any experience providing 'care under fire' and appreciate the input from those who do. But I got the impression from reading through this that you had more to add, e.g TQ review. Any more thoughts? What would your kit look like?

ALCON --

After reading through this thread, anyone change his/her personal kit contents or recommendations? If so, what and why?

Thanks in advance.
AF Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 18:26   #65
LavaDoc
Asset

The bag I have on my MTV is a North American Rescue casualty response bag. It came with all sorts of straps, which I promptly cut off, and use the clips in the back to put it on the flak.

Contents:

Top (under flap)

4x 14g, 3 and 1/4 inch needles for chest decompression
Roll of duct tape- for securing bandages, IV tubing, casualty cards, extremities, tube, etc
Finger pulse oximeter- O2 sats and pulse
3 sizes NP airways/surgilube packs- for maintaining airway
2 sizes OP airways- for maintaining airway
Hemostat clipped to loop- various reasons (clamping vessels, hanging IVs, securing gear)
Durapore tape slid through hemostats- for IV tubing, bandages, tube, etc.
2x Rubber IV tourniquets- for vascular access
Pen light- to assess EOMI, PERRLA, or as a small back up light.

Main Compartment

In "Football"- 2x 500 cc NaCL bags for fluid resuscitation/eye irrigation/pressure for flail chest/pressure dressing
4x 14g 2 inch needles, 2x IV tubing, alcohol pads- for IVs
2x 4"x16" WaterJel burn dressings- for burns
2x Kerlix- wound packing, dressing/bandage
2x Ace Wrap- bandage
2x Israeli bandage- pressure dressing
2x H and H Gauze- wound packing, bandage, pressure dressing
1x Big Cinch Abdominal Dressing- abdominal wounds
3x CAT tourniquets- massive extremity hemmorhage
All gauze/Kerlix/bandages are in the plastic, with the end opening cut off to prevent last minute "oh shit" moments.

Side Flap

2x QuikClot ACS- massive hemmorhage not controlled by other means
2x Bolin chest seals- open pneumothorax
2x Benzoin Tincture swabs- prn for extra adhesive with chest seals
1x size 4 King LTD/60cc syringe/lube- to secure airway

Outside Pocket

2x Latex free gloves
Sharpie
4x Casualty cards
Trauma shears

It seems like a lot, but the bag fits nicely on my MTV, doesn't get in the way too much. My bulkier gear (BVM, FAST 1, QuikCric, extra everything, meds, C-collar, splints, etc) goes in my large med bag in the truck. I carry a blowout kit with kerlix, ace wrap, Israeli dressing, 14 g needles, and chest seal in a Ziploc bag in my cargo pocket. I also have a CAT on my flak, and one each in a shoulder and cargo pocket, along with 2 10cc morphine injectors. My Marines have the issued IFAK, so I don't worry too much about not having enough basic material.

Great info on this site, I have learned a lot.

BTW

Quote:
I like the Olaes dressings. Received a few for T&E and will be getting some for our next trip to replace the Israelis...
I have just seen these on the internet, and would like to know more about them. Any more feedback about them? Our budget out here is pretty good, I'd like to get some if they are worth it.

Last edited by LavaDoc; 09-22-2008 at 21:16.
LavaDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 21:50   #66
D9 (RIP)
Quiet Professional

I'd like to see a few of the above lists fit into a small pouch. I have my doubts.

I carry this in my first line kit:

2 CAT Tourniquets (all TQs can fit in the outside part of the SOTECH pouches)
1 SOF Tourniquet
2 Quiklots
2 Hemcons
2 Z-pak Gauze
2 6" ACE
3 Asherman Chest Dressings
Small portion of 100mph tape (yes, I was on a team with Crip)
2 14 GA Catheters
8 Betadyne swabsticks
8 Alcohol prep pads
Trauma shears & rescue knife
Laminated 9-Line CASEVAC cards
1 Sharpie
1 Alcohol pen

For me this kit is for "Care Under Fire," which means I am not going to be doing any lengthy treatments out of this pouch.

Therefore:

1. The tourniquets for uncontrolled extremity bleeds.

2. The Quicklot and Hemcon for other bleeds

3. The catheters and Asherman's for developing tension pneumos

The rest of the stuff is oriented towards getting the patient started on the road to definitive care. The 9-Line card and markers are so I can get this process started and do not send my pt to the rear with bad info or none at all.
Old 09-24-2008, 19:21   #67
LavaDoc
Asset

Quote:
I'd like to see a few of the above lists fit into a small pouch. I have my doubts.
Oh, it fits, but your definition of small must not be the same as mine.

Last edited by LavaDoc; 09-24-2008 at 19:24.
LavaDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 20:59   #68
whocares175
Quiet Professional

i know i'm about a year late on this topic but something we carried on everyone when i was in regiment was:

2 cats (obivous reasons, to stop bleeding in a hurry)
1 israeli (can be applied quickly to minor wounds or dress major ones)
1 roll kerlex (to pack wounds)
1 npa (airway access)
1 opa (airway access)
(both sized for that person ahead of time)
1 pill pack (hopefully prevent infxn)
1 3"x3" square of hydrogel (occlusive dressings-sticks to literally anything, better than anything i've ever used)
2 14ga 3" needles w/catheters (needle decompression and if needed in a pinch, needle crics)
1 saline lock kit-18ga, saline lock, tegaderm (used to initially secure iv sites)

this was very small and fit neatly into the little med bag we had.
of course also everyone going through RIP has been trained on tension pneumo's, needle decompression, iv's, needle crics and basic airway adjuncts so none of the equipment in the kit was new. except maybe the hydrogel but once it was explained that it takes the place of the ACS everyone got the idea.
the thinking behind most of this was that initially the most important things are the basics: stopping major bleeding then ABC's. anything beyond that the squad emt carried and anything else beyond him the platoon medic carried.
2008-2011 q course
2011-10th

Last edited by whocares175; 11-01-2009 at 21:03.
whocares175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 16:41   #69
docstumpy
Asset

I keep two pouches on my vest, simply because if you carry the aid bag around out here, youre a definite target. I do my best to look just like my tankers, so I also hand out extra supplies to them, in the way of tourniquets and shears and many other things. Im trying to get my hands on an M9 bag, but until then, Ill continue to dream.

My first pouch is pretty much dedicated to airway:
3 Ashermen Chest Seals
3 packs of Petroleum gauze
3 3.25" 14GA
3 Large McDonald's bendy Straws (Because a full cric kit is too big for this particular pouch)
3 Large Tegaderms
1 Pocket Mask
1 Scalpel
1 Body marker
1 roll of 1/2" tape
and a butt load of alcohol pads

My second pouch is more or less focused on hemorrhage control:
3 ETB's
3 packs of Combat Gauze
3 6" ACE Bandages
3 packs of compressed Gauze

And I have 2 CAT's and 1 SOF Tourniquet on my vest, along with another roll of 1/2" tape and of course my trauma shears. Also, a laminated 9-Line is folded to fit right under my helmet band, just in case I need it for some reason.

Last edited by docstumpy; 11-29-2009 at 16:45.
docstumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 17:36   #70
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by docstumpy View Post
I keep two pouches on my vest, simply because if you carry the aid bag around out here, youre a definite target. I do my best to look just like my tankers, so I also hand out extra supplies to them, in the way of tourniquets and shears and many other things. Im trying to get my hands on an M9 bag, but until then, Ill continue to dream.

My first pouch is pretty much dedicated to airway:
3 Ashermen Chest Seals
3 packs of Petroleum gauze
3 3.25" 14GA
3 Large McDonald's bendy Straws (Because a full cric kit is too big for this particular pouch)
3 Large Tegaderms
1 Pocket Mask
1 Scalpel
1 Body marker
1 roll of 1/2" tape
and a butt load of alcohol pads

My second pouch is more or less focused on hemorrhage control:
3 ETB's
3 packs of Combat Gauze
3 6" ACE Bandages
3 packs of compressed Gauze

And I have 2 CAT's and 1 SOF Tourniquet on my vest, along with another roll of 1/2" tape and of course my trauma shears. Also, a laminated 9-Line is folded to fit right under my helmet band, just in case I need it for some reason.
Do some research here (or elsewhere) on the CAT vs. the SOFTT.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:27   #71
docstumpy
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Do some research here (or elsewhere) on the CAT vs. the SOFTT.

TR
To be honest, I keep both on my vest for multiple reasons, but the main one is that since Im attached to an armored company, my guys arent too familiar on the SOFTT. Ive given classes and held practical exercises, and even though some of them understand how to use it, Im pretty sure that if Im hit and cant do it myself, my guys would reach for that CAT and have an easier time with it since theyve had the most exposure to it.

Me personally though, I like the SOFTT, especially for some of my bigger tankers. That and last time I used the CAT, I definitely snapped that windlass like twig. Better safe than sorry.
Old 11-30-2009, 15:22   #72
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by docstumpy View Post
...Im pretty sure that if Im hit and cant do it myself, my guys would reach for that CAT and have an easier time with it since theyve had the most exposure to it...
Willing to bet your life on it? I wouldnt be...

Something to think about.....

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 00:05   #73
SwedeGlocker
Asset

Are the CATs breaking in training or real world use? I cant find any documented cases where CATs have broken during real world use. During training its more common since the CATs is single use.

A good article to read is:
Practical Use of Emergency Tourniquets to Stop Bleeding in
Major Limb Trauma, J Trauma. 2008;64:S38 –S50.

From the article:
"The most effective tourniquets were the Emergency Medical Tourniquet (92%) and the Combat Application Tourniquet (79%)."

SG note: The SOFT was 66% effective in this study

"Improvised tourniquets were ineffective 67% of the time (10 of 15 limbs, 15 patients, 16 tourniquets) with 10 morbidities (6 amputation injuries, 3
fasciotomies, 1 palsy), and seven limbs continued to bleed."
SwedeGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:46   #74
docstumpy
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
Willing to bet your life on it? I wouldnt be...

Something to think about.....
Mind me asking what youre suggestion would be then?
Its my first deployment as a medic, but Ive been wounded before. If something were to happen to me, I have confidence in my tankers.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:52   #75
docstumpy
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeGlocker View Post
Are the CATs breaking in training or real world use? I cant find any documented cases where CATs have broken during real world use. During training its more common since the CATs is single use.

A good article to read is:
Practical Use of Emergency Tourniquets to Stop Bleeding in
Major Limb Trauma, J Trauma. 2008;64:S38 –S50.

From the article:
"The most effective tourniquets were the Emergency Medical Tourniquet (92%) and the Combat Application Tourniquet (79%)."

SG note: The SOFT was 66% effective in this study

"Improvised tourniquets were ineffective 67% of the time (10 of 15 limbs, 15 patients, 16 tourniquets) with 10 morbidities (6 amputation injuries, 3
fasciotomies, 1 palsy), and seven limbs continued to bleed."
Ive had to use a CAT three times, and a SOFTT once on actual casualties, and never had a problem with either. But yes, Ive had multiple CATS break, and even a SOFTT during training because of multiple use. But to be honest, it happened after 50 or so practice runs with the same tourniquet being used over and over again.