Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 06-28-2020, 08:25   #31
Swoop
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge2 View Post
I'll certainly be praying for "excellent" results!
X 2. Best wishes to you Gypsy.
Swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 13:37   #32
Gypsy
Area Commander

Thanks everyone, appreciate it!
Old 06-30-2020, 12:51   #33
Gypsy
Area Commander

First eye is done! The procedure was easy enough, They numbed my eye and gave me an IV to take the edge off. Didn't feel a thing except a bit of pressure now and then.

Currently feels like I have a pound of sand in my eye and vision is blurry/filmy but this is all normal according to the doc. Have a followup with them tomorrow morning and hope to see/feel some improvement by then.
Old 06-30-2020, 13:32   #34
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
First eye is done! The procedure was easy enough, They numbed my eye and gave me an IV to take the edge off. Didn't feel a thing except a bit of pressure now and then.

Currently feels like I have a pound of sand in my eye and vision is blurry/filmy but this is all normal according to the doc. Have a followup with them tomorrow morning and hope to see/feel some improvement by then.
Excellent. Pretty similar to HH6's experience here. Do what they tell you & kind of zone out till the followup.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 14:15   #35
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:

Glad to hear you made it through your procedure, one down one to go. Hang in there I shall continue to wish you the best!
Old 06-30-2020, 15:38   #36
tonyz
Area Commander

Good news so far !

Rest, heal and be a good patient and take your drugs !

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 18:29   #37
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
Excellent. Pretty similar to HH6's experience here. Do what they tell you & kind of zone out till the followup.
Thanks. I was a bit worried, thought maybe I would have had clearer vision within several hours.
Old 06-30-2020, 18:32   #38
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
Glad to hear you made it through your procedure, one down one to go. Hang in there I shall continue to wish you the best!
Thanks B, I did schedule the right eye for mid-July but now may hold off a few more weeks until I see how this one heals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
Good news so far !

Rest, heal and be a good patient and take your drugs !
Roger that!
Old 07-01-2020, 11:18   #39
Gypsy
Area Commander

I ignored my number one rule yesterday, always trust your gut.

Turns out my pain was not normal at all. It felt like I had glass in my eye, I could not blink without pain and my eye was irritated and tearing up constantly. When I called the surgery center yesterday I was told the "discomfort was normal and to rest and use the drops." I really should have insisted they see me.

This morning i could not open my eyelid without excruciating pain. Saw the surgeon for follow up first thing this morning, turns out my cornea was scratched during the procedure.

Numbing drops alleviated the pain, now I currently have a temporary non-prescription contact lens in and have been pain free since.

My gut is also telling me the lens may not be positioned correctly, looking straight ahead the right corner to mid-eye area seems clear enough, the left half of the eye is quite blurry.

Since my eye was so extremely irritated for for the past 24 hours I'm letting things be for now, we'll see if more healing takes place and if things improve.

I am scheduled to go back on Friday to have the contact removed, hopefully the scratch will be healed.

All of this is disconcerting, I went to one of the best eye surgery centers and my surgeon has an excellent rating with over 500 procedures performed. Guess it's just my dumb luck.

Oh yeah, I decided the procedure for my right eye is not happening any time soon.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:41   #40
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
I ignored my number one rule yesterday, always trust your gut.
Damn, that sucks in a major way ma'am. Not making light of your plight but I bet the surgeon used words like the cornea "got scratched" versus, "Sorry, I scratched your cornea."

I'm glad you have a 'punchlist' of topics to take up with him on Friday.
Damn.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 16:23   #41
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
This morning i could not open my eyelid without excruciating pain. Saw the surgeon for follow up first thing this morning, turns out my cornea was scratched during the procedure.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune! Keep on top of that tear they can be very stubborn to heal. I had a tear in my cornea that would not heal, the problem is it would mend overnight but the minute I opened my eye it would tear again. It took 6 months for it to completely heal and a lot of trips to the eye doc. I hope that your tear is not as bad and that you return to normal sight as quickly as possible. Trust your gut!
Old 07-01-2020, 16:43   #42
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
Damn, that sucks in a major way ma'am. Not making light of your plight but I bet the surgeon used words like the cornea "got scratched" versus, "Sorry, I scratched your cornea."

I'm glad you have a 'punchlist' of topics to take up with him on Friday.
Damn.
You are correct, Sir! Yeah so I responded I certainly didn't scratch it, touch it or rub it. Matter of fact I asked for a shield as one was not even offered to me. (I wore it all day and all night) He said oh I didn't mean you did this, it's just I am usually aware if it happens so I can tell the patient and I don't recall that happening. I said..well it did.

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your misfortune! Keep on top of that tear they can be very stubborn to heal. I had a tear in my cornea that would not heal, the problem is it would mend overnight but the minute I opened my eye it would tear again. It took 6 months for it to completely heal and a lot of trips to the eye doc. I hope that your tear is not as bad and that you return to normal sight as quickly as possible. Trust your gut!
That is terrible, I certainly hope mine does heal quick. Did they put a contact in for you?
Old 07-01-2020, 17:30   #43
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
You are correct, Sir! Yeah so I responded I certainly didn't scratch it, touch it or rub it. Matter of fact I asked for a shield as one was not even offered to me. (I wore it all day and all night) He said oh I didn't mean you did this, it's just I am usually aware if it happens so I can tell the patient and I don't recall that happening. I said..well it did.

That is terrible, I certainly hope mine does heal quick. Did they put a contact in for you?
They did initially in fact I was in Canada on a motorcycle trip when it tore open, ended up in Vermont at a Univ. hospital on July 4th. Head eye doc was called in and treated it, he was not too comfortable with my resuming the trip with the contact. I had to agree to see an eye doc within days and get the eye rechecked. Had that done in PA. The doc that saw me had done his fellowship at the U of Iowa and when he found out I was from the Iowa City area he said no charge, he liked Iowans. It still took a long time to heal, when I tore mine I swore I had blinded myself for life, a clamp slipped in my shop and headed directly into my eye. I was wearing safety glasses at the time but they did no good. Best wishes to you !!
Old 07-02-2020, 12:53   #44
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
They did initially in fact I was in Canada on a motorcycle trip when it tore open, ended up in Vermont at a Univ. hospital on July 4th. Head eye doc was called in and treated it, he was not too comfortable with my resuming the trip with the contact. I had to agree to see an eye doc within days and get the eye rechecked. Had that done in PA. The doc that saw me had done his fellowship at the U of Iowa and when he found out I was from the Iowa City area he said no charge, he liked Iowans. It still took a long time to heal, when I tore mine I swore I had blinded myself for life, a clamp slipped in my shop and headed directly into my eye. I was wearing safety glasses at the time but they did no good. Best wishes to you !!
Yikes that is quite the experience. Hopefully I'll hear some good news tomorrow morning.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:48   #45
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quick update, met with the surgeon again on Friday. The scratch has healed so the contact was removed. No pain since, he suggested I use Refresh PM at night before bed for a couple of weeks as it keeps the eye from drying out. So far so good on that front. He also suggested a lubricating drop (I'm using Refresh Optive) as needed during the day if the eye fells dry.

He said everything I am experiencing is normal, basically since the eye was scratched the trauma and irritation takes me back to "square one" from Friday. I find it hard to trust him since he "didn't recall scratching my eye" but I'll keep an open mind.

In general my vision is finally less blurry today! I can tell my eye (both top/bottom lids) are a bit swollen. I'll give it another 3-5 days to see if that annoying refraction of sight (which I am experiencing in bright light) and fuzziness in the left corner of my eye clears.

Unless there are any set backs or a lack of improvement I'm done. Probably will get the right eye done this fall. NOT with him.