Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hall of Heroes > Attention to Orders

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 17:44   #31
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Good call Top.

I believe most of us would certainly buy the beer. Some people are Naturals and she appears to be one. with total respect, Blitz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 12-01-2008 at 21:12.
Old 05-07-2009, 13:01   #32
brianksain
Guerrilla

Texas and Tennessee ...
Old 05-29-2009, 06:03   #33
SFWPNSSGT/SPC
SF Candidate

Outstanding

I was pleasantly surprised in the quality of the female medics I met in Afghanistan. She is a shining example of such. Line medics there (in most areas) seem to better understand their importance, and she stepped up when called upon. I wanted to comment on the calls for promotion to sergeant. As a line medic, promotion is a bitter sweet thing. Being a medic NCO can significantly decrease your opportunities for "line" interaction. Award her the Silver Star, and re-institute a SPC-5 for her and others who show great proficiency (and cajones). It could help keep good medics on the line for a little bit longer.
Am I off target here?
-Mike
Old 07-13-2010, 13:55   #34
Cool Breeze
Quiet Professional

Eating my words...

Whenever people used to ask me about women in combat, my standard reply was always,

"I am sure there are many women who can shoot better than me, hump a heavier ruck, run 2 miles faster, but that said, they should not serve in combat."

Time for me to be more open minded.

Sincerely. Thank God you were with your fellow soldiers, SPC Brown when the IED detonated. There are five soldiers who will get to go home to Mama because you were there and went above and beyond. I only hope that there are many more young troops that are just like you.

Primum non nocere
Old 07-13-2010, 14:01   #35
Cool Breeze
Quiet Professional

You are on the money about promotions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewhodoc View Post
I was pleasantly surprised in the quality of the female medics I met in Afghanistan. She is a shining example of such. Line medics there (in most areas) seem to better understand their importance, and she stepped up when called upon. I wanted to comment on the calls for promotion to sergeant. As a line medic, promotion is a bitter sweet thing. Being a medic NCO can significantly decrease your opportunities for "line" interaction. Award her the Silver Star, and re-institute a SPC-5 for her and others who show great proficiency (and cajones). It could help keep good medics on the line for a little bit longer.
Am I off target here?
-Mike
Mike, As an 18D, I ran the TMC at SFQC Phase 1A in 03-04. Working for me was an outstanding 68W. I got him promoted to SPC in 04. Just spoke with him on Skype and with three Iraq tours, no negative spot reports, no article 15s, etc., he is now, still a SPC. He is another great medic who is getting out when he hits his ETS because he sees no future in the Army.
Old 07-13-2010, 14:04   #36
akv
Area Commander

A brave American soldier, great job!
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
Old 07-13-2010, 16:56   #37
Green Light
Quiet Professional

I'm glad someone bumped this thread - I hadn't seen it before. She's something else. I'm going to show this to my daughters. They're tough and they need to see that there's nothing they can't do if their heart is there.

I hope she's an NCO by now. She's a soldier who can stand as an example of what it is to be a warrior!

"If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference does it make to me?"
TJ
Old 07-14-2010, 05:32   #38
J8127
Auxiliary

I can see the argument that her story was hyped up because she was an 18 year old girl. What did the soldier that helped her pull the bodies out or who drove the pickup truck to the evac site get? Awards are not always what they should be and it is very unfortunate. She acted with bravery and did her job very well, I don't want to sound like I am taking away from what she did, nor is it her fault. Sometimes people just get turned into something they never asked for.

A soldier I was with in that same province ran into a burning mrap and cut out the driver who was stuck in his seatbelt, he then dragged him out of the seat and carried him back down the ramp. By the time he got out of the truck they were both on fire and he put his driver out, then himself. This occurred while under SAF/IDF attack. He too was an 18 year old PFC, he got an ARCOM-V.

The one soldier who declined an interview because women have no place in combat should be reprimanded for his unprofessional behavior with the media.

I would think it isn't so much that this soldier does not deserve a silver star, as there are way to many other soldiers, marines, airmen, and sailors who never get the recognition they deserve for doing their job with honor against an enemy that has none.
Old 07-15-2010, 22:13   #39
MasterOfMyFate
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Light View Post
I'm glad someone bumped this thread - I hadn't seen it before. She's something else. I'm going to show this to my daughters. They're tough and they need to see that there's nothing they can't do if their heart is there.

I hope she's an NCO by now. She's a soldier who can stand as an example of what it is to be a warrior!
^^According to the AFN commercials, she was promoted to SGT, but is no longer a Soldier.

"If you are not hungry, YOU WILL NEVER EAT"
Old 07-16-2010, 10:10   #40
Blender
Asset

I have to say, our awards system is pretty fucked up. Unfortunately that means that when someone does finally get recognized by their command for a job well done, it stirs up resentment among those who didn't.

I don't know how it used to be done, but today awards are pretty much rank and/or profession based. If you're x rank with x time in country you get x award. When I left my last deployment my partner in crime and I had done the exact same things and had the exact same award write up. We both got put in for BSM's. He got a BSM, I got a JSCOM. They flat out told me it was because I was an E-5 and that's the award E-5's get. Commies.

The idea that someone "is just doing their job" also comes into play. If an admin clerk happens to be in a convoy that's ambushed and he/she returns fire, they may get a Bronze Star with V. If a Ranger or 18 series shoots 50 muj in the face, caries his buddies to safety, and saves a puppy on the way out, he may get ARCOM with V, because "he was just doing his job".

Then you add the perception that women may get recognized as an EO ploy of some sort, and it ramps up the bitterness. Unfortunately that bitterness sends the wrong message to our commanders. When they finally pay enough attention to recognize a young soldier and it stirs up resentment among their troops, they will remember that reaction when the next award request is sitting on their desk.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:02   #41
Irish_Army01
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
That soldiers is in need of some SERGEANT stripes!

Well done Spc. Monica Lin Brown.

Team Sergeant
lol, I was just thinking that. Will this up her in the list for promotion?
Old 07-17-2010, 08:11   #42
MasterOfMyFate
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Army01 View Post
lol, I was just thinking that. Will this up her in the list for promotion?
She was ALREADY promoted a few years ago, but she is not in the Service anymore, according to the AFN commercial with her in it. "Former Army SGT......"

"If you are not hungry, YOU WILL NEVER EAT"
Old 07-17-2010, 09:00   #43
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by J8127 View Post
I can see the argument that her story was hyped up because she was an 18 year old girl. What did the soldier that helped her pull the bodies out or who drove the pickup truck to the evac site get? Awards are not always what they should be and it is very unfortunate. She acted with bravery and did her job very well, I don't want to sound like I am taking away from what she did, nor is it her fault. Sometimes people just get turned into something they never asked for.

A soldier I was with in that same province ran into a burning mrap and cut out the driver who was stuck in his seatbelt, he then dragged him out of the seat and carried him back down the ramp. By the time he got out of the truck they were both on fire and he put his driver out, then himself. This occurred while under SAF/IDF attack. He too was an 18 year old PFC, he got an ARCOM-V.

The one soldier who declined an interview because women have no place in combat should be reprimanded for his unprofessional behavior with the media.

I would think it isn't so much that this soldier does not deserve a silver star, as there are way to many other soldiers, marines, airmen, and sailors who never get the recognition they deserve for doing their job with honor against an enemy that has none.
You don't get it, read the post below, Blender get's it.

Had an 11B or any "Combat Arms" soldier done what she had done they might not have received anything but a pat of the back. It's what we do. But you're right when an Air Force type or female does the same thing it would be considered a courageous act well outside their military training and then they should receive an award.
If you wish to bitch about awards go somewhere else and do so your complaints are falling on deaf ears here.

Team Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
I have to say, our awards system is pretty fucked up. Unfortunately that means that when someone does finally get recognized by their command for a job well done, it stirs up resentment among those who didn't.

I don't know how it used to be done, but today awards are pretty much rank and/or profession based. If you're x rank with x time in country you get x award. When I left my last deployment my partner in crime and I had done the exact same things and had the exact same award write up. We both got put in for BSM's. He got a BSM, I got a JSCOM. They flat out told me it was because I was an E-5 and that's the award E-5's get. Commies.

The idea that someone "is just doing their job" also comes into play. If an admin clerk happens to be in a convoy that's ambushed and he/she returns fire, they may get a Bronze Star with V. If a Ranger or 18 series shoots 50 muj in the face, caries his buddies to safety, and saves a puppy on the way out, he may get ARCOM with V, because "he was just doing his job".
Then you add the perception that women may get recognized as an EO ploy of some sort, and it ramps up the bitterness. Unfortunately that bitterness sends the wrong message to our commanders. When they finally pay enough attention to recognize a young soldier and it stirs up resentment among their troops, they will remember that reaction when the next award request is sitting on their desk.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:32   #44
J8127
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
You don't get it, read the post below, Blender get's it.

Had an 11B or any "Combat Arms" soldier done what she had done they might not have received anything but a pat of the back. It's what we do. But you're right when an Air Force type or female does the same thing it would be considered a courageous act well outside their military training and then they should receive an award.
If you wish to bitch about awards go somewhere else and do so your complaints are falling on deaf ears here.

Team Sergeant
I do get it, and I don't agree with it. Are you saying that you think ones job should come into play? I don't think it should, I think awards for valor are aligned with a certain amount of bravery, and what job you are, what is between your legs, or what service you are in should not matter. Of course this is going to lead to an imbalance where Combat Arms personnel are receiving awards that the support types will probably never see, but that's how it should be.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:19   #45
Big Boss
SF Candidate

Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets. (Luke 6:23)

Great story, thank you for sharing.