Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > National Guard SF Groups > 20th Group

Old 06-08-2011, 14:24   #31
BKKMAN
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US View Post
Not so...

My response had nothing to do with your OEF-P document...

It was posted in response to:

I stand corrected...

It is not inequality which is the real misfortune, it is dependence. Voltaire
BKKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:28   #32
Ironmike
Asset

I was in the 2-20 Hq. and Co. B a long time ago when both were in Jackson Ms.
At that time everyone in the Unit wore the S.F. patch, and if ABN qualified the Abn. tab. We all wore Green Bretes, S.F. Qualified wore a full flash, unqualified wore a half flash. Combat patches were wore on the right, what ever patch that might be Marine or what ever. There was no S.F. tab at that time. The Beret was the identifier. The Rangers wanted black ones but they had the Ranger tab as an idenifier. Then the Air Borne wanted a red beret.
Now everyone in the Army has a beret and a tab. And so it goes it kind of like jump boots everyone just about wanted a pair.
Ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:13   #33
VVVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike View Post
I was in the 2-20 Hq. and Co. B a long time ago when both were in Jackson Ms.
At that time everyone in the Unit wore the S.F. patch, and if ABN qualified the Abn. tab. We all wore Green Bretes, S.F. Qualified wore a full flash, unqualified wore a half flash. Combat patches were wore on the right, what ever patch that might be Marine or what ever. There was no S.F. tab at that time. The Beret was the identifier. The Rangers wanted black ones but they had the Ranger tab as an idenifier. Then the Air Borne wanted a red beret.
Now everyone in the Army has a beret and a tab. And so it goes it kind of like jump boots everyone just about wanted a pair.
No one should have been wearing the SF patch without the Airborne tab. one. The tab is an integral part of the SF SSI.

The Green Beret was unit head gear until it became an individual award sometime in the '90s (?)

What tab does everyone in the US Army have now?

Last edited by VVVV; 06-10-2011 at 06:44.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:23   #34
Don
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKKMAN View Post
There was an update that came out from the Army G-1 IRT this. As long as his TDY orders had him in support of OEF-P, he is entitled to wear the SSI-FWTS.
Thanks, Brother. There has been a couple of times I have caught him misspeaking about his time with Group. I have his ERB...but no mention of deployment time in the PI in the OS Depolyment/Combat Zone section. It does reference IZ for a combat tour...but not PI.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:39   #35
18C4V
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbour13 View Post
I've seen more people this last trip wearing the Regiment's patch and that damn Commando patch. Our Commando ODA didn't wear them because they couldn't get them.......because everyone else was apparently a commando. I'm not sure if it was the same for you VG, but everyone wanted to be part of the commando brigade.
Lol,
What we did was go to the Commando sew shop and buy the individual company patches. So one side was the Commando patch and the other was the company patch the the guys were assigned to.

Our snipers who were assigned to the ICTF wore the ICTF patch and whatever troop patch that they belonged to.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 15:09   #36
stfesta
Quiet Professional

Combat Patch

It has been that way for years. Not a big deal. They are not given SF Tabs.

As far as bragging goes, the second that Special Forces became Spec Ops, everyone became a hero.

"I'm in Spec Ops"

"What do you do in Spec Ops?"

"I am a Spec Ops Cook."

"Well I guess you need to sneak up on those eggs to scramble them"

And so on. I have always said, you either have a tab or a story.

sf
Old 06-09-2011, 15:26   #37
Pete
Quiet Professional

My response was about "He"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US View Post
Not so...

My response had nothing to do with your OEF-P document...

It was posted in response to:
My response was about "He" as in "He" in the Phillipines. To be eligible he had to have all three.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 16:21   #38
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by stfesta View Post
"I am a Spec Ops Cook."
A lowly, lowly cook?
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 18:00   #39
alright4u
Quiet Professional

Re: Cook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stfesta View Post
It has been that way for years. Not a big deal. They are not given SF Tabs.

As far as bragging goes, the second that Special Forces became Spec Ops, everyone became a hero.

"I'm in Spec Ops"

"What do you do in Spec Ops?"

"I am a Spec Ops Cook."

"Well I guess you need to sneak up on those eggs to scramble them"

And so on. I have always said, you either have a tab or a story.

sf

I have a lot of respect for those cooks, clerks, and especially the chief scrounger. I'd be dead without the SF medic.
alright4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 21:02   #40
stfesta
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by alright4u View Post
I have a lot of respect for those cooks, clerks, and especially the chief scrounger. I'd be dead without the SF medic.
I never said I don't respect what support does. I do. What I am saying is you should be proud of the job you do, not the one I do.

sf
Old 06-15-2011, 18:48   #41
Ironmike
Asset

tabs

016.jpgLets see. Ranger , S.F., Sapper, Sniper recon do, commando, tater fryer. If you drop back to the 1960’s there just were not that many who wanted the patch. Being less than 10 years since John F. Kennedy gave the Special Forces the Beret. S.F was very unconventional. Spooks training training was a big part of training. The Army did not care much about the S.F. there was a lot of professional jealously about the S.F. S.F. did not have a quartermaster to draw equipment from. Where did we get log. support. We saw three colors, white, gray, and black. My team had an Nuro Surgeon , a Highway Patrolman, we all civilian careers in addition to military. Where our money came from I don't know. But when we lost that source everyone in S.F. knew it. I waited for money to go to the Q. course, Path Finders school, HALO we didn't have the money. People that went to the schools came back and trained the ones that had not been to the schools. I never got S.F. qualified or a full Flash as we called S.F. qualifications. That did not keep me off of a TEAM, when I got busted up on a night jump MC1-1 into the middle of some mountains I was with my team and they roped me off of the mountain. I made a few jumps after that but just not toe the line in a high speed unit. That patch was on my shoulder when I crashed and burned. I have not had it on my shoulder since that time. We had one of our guys killed in training. Would you have ripped the patch off his arm? No I am not S.F qualified. I just got to hang around a bunch of guys that were, and I would not take anything in the world for that privilege. Enough said

Last edited by Ironmike; 07-02-2011 at 06:39.
Ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote