Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 05-09-2014, 16:01   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
FiveFingers,, FYI

I was a skeptic from the start. I have 1st hand knowledge that as you age you lose the padding in your soles.

I can feel every bump in the road, beach, sidewalk, & grass.

Quote:

FiveFingers Maker Will Pay Millions To Suckers Who Bought Its Shoes, Jon Gugala, Filed to: Crimes Against Fitness

Vibram FiveFingers Toe-shoes Fads

Wednesday 12:00pm

The favorite toe-shoe of vegan restaurant servers and 55-year-old men with ponytails has settled a class action lawsuit brought against it by what sounds like every person who ever wore its foot-condoms.

Runner's World Newswire's Matt McCue reports that though Vibram "expressly [denies] and continues to deny any wrongdoing alleged in the Actions, and neither admits nor concedes any actual or potential fault, wrongdoing or liability," the company has agreed to pay a lot of money.
Vibram Agrees to Settle Class Action Lawsuit

Vibram USA, the company that makes FiveFingers running shoes, has agreed to settle a lawsuit that… Read on runnersworld.​com

The initial claim, filed in 2012, accuses Vibram of deceiving consumers by saying that its shoes could "reduce foot injuries and strengthen foot muscles." Unfortunately, Vibram appears to have pulled this out of thin air, really hoping it was true.

It is not true.

Science takes time, and since the advent of Christopher McDougall's best-selling Born to Run (a book based mainly on anecdote that sparked the minimalist footwear revolution), science has discovered that barefoot running can really fuck you up.

"This study showed that increases in bone marrow edema [the precursor to a stress fracture] are more common in subjects who were transitioning to the [Vibram FiveFingers]," concluded this 2013 study.

In penance for its crimes against fashion and humanity, Vibram has placed $3.75 million into escrow. Those funds will go to the fitness idiots who purchased a pair after March 21, 2009, with up to $94 for each in an effort to help your friends and family not shudder when looking at your feet.

http://fittish.deadspin.com/vibram-f...ium=socialflow

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 16:28   #2
PSM
Area Commander

I saw the title of the thread and thought that you had discovered a Kung Fu grip for us FOGs.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 16:40   #3
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

I thought it was about that old vietnam book.

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 16:42   #4
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
I was a skeptic from the start. I have 1st hand knowledge that as you age you lose the padding in your soles.

I can feel every bump in the road, beach, sidewalk, & grass.
Having had fallen arches and knowing the pain and it's cause then going to a podiatrist to get rock hard plastic arch supports to correct it. The podiatrist asked me if I used these five finger shoes and warned me not to because of the injuries he was seeing. Funny enough it wasn't the hardness of the soles that bothered me it was the bedding my foot sat on that didn't support my foot shape. With those rock hard inserts by back pain dissappeared and so did my knee pain.
Everytime I saw someone wearing them I would ask how they felt and funny enough after reading the out of thin air vibram sales pitch about strengthening muscles that is the exact same thing those wearing them told me.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 16:53   #5
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Tab View Post
I thought it was about that old vietnam book.
That's the same thing I thought of

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 19:09   #6
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Lawsuits like this get settled for reasons having nothing to do with the merits.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 20:46   #7
zeke
Asset

The Five Fingers helped me stop heel striking and made my back pain after runs go away. Just have to slow down a bit on rocky ground or you bruise the ball of your foot easily. I found New Balance Minimus to have the same effect also.
zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 20:49   #8
Javadrinker
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
That's the same thing I thought of
and here I thought I was the only person to have read that book ...
Javadrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 22:56   #9
Scimitar
Area Commander

Although it is likely that the article doesn't outline the full legal claim against Vibram, the issue could as easily be caused by people transitioning into them too quickly out of over supporting footwear.

Although I think 5 fingers are creepy as hell, and make me shudder every time I see them, I still argue for the merits of minimalist footwear.

In my uneducated opinion law suits mean little to nothing.

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 23:01   #10
PSM
Area Commander

Anybody remember the Earth Shoe?

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 23:25   #11
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

It seems the only shoes I can run in now are the 5-fingers due to being forced off my heals and thus no more heel striking. With as much knee damage as I have, I can run for 20 minutes on the habit trail without little no knee pain.

I will admit that when I first started wearing them and discovered I could jog again, I got all excited and went to far too soon and nearly wound up with planar fasciitis. Having been unable to run for several years, it took me roughly a year to get used to them before I could run on the habit trail.

My only problem now is my right foot feels like I have Mortin's neuroma in the ball of my right foot. I've had it checked out and was told to wear bigger, not as tight footgear. If my foot strike is too hard, my fight foot has no problem telling me about it.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:02   #12
craigepo
Quiet Professional

As we discussed in an old thread, if you haven't read Born To Run by Christopher Mcdougal, I would encourage you to do so. Heel striking is bad, and is the cause of many hip and knee replacements. I haven't worn the Vibrams, but all of my trail shoes have a very small heel drop, which has done away with my hip and knee pain.

When we are 20, our bodies will forgive some of our foolishness. Getting older reveals many of the sins of our youth.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:08   #13
hotshot
Quiet Professional

Gradual progression

Roguish Lawyers post speaks volumes about this lawsuit. Heres my story.

I confidently say that minimalist footwear has helped me recover from several injuries that had given me problems throughout the years and that hadn't fully healed. Ankle, knee, lower back were the areas of concern that I constantly struggled with. Icyhot, braces, Ice, compression, epidural injections (back), etc

After speaking with a physical therapist (not a salesman at you name the sporting goods store) she gave me a plan of gradual progression in using minimalist footwear. Literally for the first 2 weeks my runs in vibram's were only 1 mile. Little by little I was able to do more and more, and like others have stated heel striking is BAD.

Fast forward about 18 mons, and I run up to 5 miles in vibrams/minimalist footwear with the previously mentioned problems completely rectified. Additionally, I was able to return to lifting again and am able to lift atleast bodyweight in the average lifts (Squat, clean, deadlift, Bench).

I suspect that these people's issues come from otherwise out of shape or injured people going full bore after putting on minimalist(vibram) shoes and causing further complications. There are a lot of things that soldiers do that are horrible for our bodies; wearing combat boots, carrying heavy rucksacks, jumping out of airplanes and many more.

I highly recommend the below series of videos for anyone that has feet, ankle, problems. Kelly Starrett from Mobility WOD knows what he's talking about. The other guy... well, you decide. At the end of the videos they offer simple programs to rehab/rebuild your feet. Additionally, Starrett has hundreds of videos that can help you increase your mobility and overall physical fitness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha6ZxfG6Tz8

CH

Last edited by hotshot; 05-10-2014 at 10:00.
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:35   #14
MR2
Quiet Professional

I'm using the Barkalounger running system. No heel strikes, no arch pain, no joint pain. Highly recommended.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 16:46   #15
Leozinho
Quiet Professional

The new trend is maximally cushioned shoes. I haven't tried them.

http://running.competitor.com/2013/0...ed-shoes_79859

----------------------------------------

I couldn't get the minimalist shoes to work for me. I still lift in some minimalist New Balance shoes, but I can't run in them.

As sort of a compromise, I wear Altra running shoes. All Atra shoes are zero drop (meaning there's no rise in the heel; better for your Achilles tendon), but still have cushioning similar to a traditional running shoe. (They also make the maximally cushioned shoe in one of the attached pictures, but the ones I wear have the regular amount of cushioning as seen in the other picture.)

Altras also have very wide toe boxes on their shoes to let your feet and toes spread out naturally. You can see the wide toe box in the third picture. This has spoiled me since I can wear Altra's most days. I now detest the times I have to wear dress shoes, which pinch my toes.

Worth looking into if you want some characteristics of the minimalist shoe (zero drop, wide toe box) but still have cushioning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Altra-Olympus-561x421.jpg (53.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg instinct.jpg (50.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg A1114-1_Orange_xl3.jpg (40.9 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Leozinho; 05-10-2014 at 16:53.
Leozinho is offline   Reply With Quote