Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Technical FAQ Forum > KnuckleDragger Questions

Old 04-02-2011, 06:12   #1
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

connecting to net gear

I'm trying to connect another Computer to my wireless router. It keeps asking for a network key (WEP) I'm typing in all the numbers on the bottom of the router. But no luck. It reconizes the router. But no luck.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:41   #2
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
I'm trying to connect another Computer to my wireless router. It keeps asking for a network key (WEP) I'm typing in all the numbers on the bottom of the router. But no luck. It reconizes the router. But no luck.
Wait until JJ finds your post,he'll settle your problem for sure................

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:53   #3
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

it keeps asking for a WEP. I typed every number on the bottom of the router with no luck.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:27   #4
Sten
Guerrilla Chief

The WEP key is generated by the router.

link to help
( http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/de...2-(recommended))

You should be able to get the WEP key on the security options page. If it is not your router the owner can get you the WEP key.

TJ

- Team Sergeant

"It is a right. If they screw it up, you take it away from that individual. Not the group and not because you think you are smarter than they are."

- NousDefionsDoc
Sten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 14:48   #5
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

No security settings tab on that link.
Old 04-02-2011, 15:24   #6
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post

Sounds like you(or whom ever set it up) may have used a customized WEP password when you set up the router initially.
Papa Zero Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 16:19   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Are you leeching on your neighbors' wireless signal?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 16:30   #8
Stras
Quiet Professional

There is a way to reset your Router.

Instructions are in the owner's manual. You should be able to download the manual from NETGear website as well.

You'll need a paper clip as I recall, when I redid mine. At least i needed it for the German one we reset.

Recommend that you write down the new info and keep in a safe place.

Luckily I mailed mine to Germany, so it survived the Big Fire, but you'll have to wait a couple of months till I can read the instructions for you.

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 16:35   #9
Stras
Quiet Professional

Are you running Windows 7 or Vista on the computer ??

There may be a compatability issue. it is resolvable.

We had a similiar issue here with guys computers not recognizing the router.

I R 18B.. there was a page that we had to reset on the computer for the wireless to find and accept the router. IIRC it was a different fix for WIN 7 and Vista.

sorry I'm not computer savy enough to talk you through the solution.

De Oppresso Liber
Old 04-03-2011, 00:28   #10
ksboi
Asset

netgear

First are you logging into the router with the web link? I think it is something like 192.168.x.x and it should have all different tabs to set up the security. Personally I would not use WEP it is the weakest encryption. I would use WPA2if your operating system is compatible. PM if you have any question. I have played with net gear routers since I tend to forget the passwords. Also may want to change the password for the log-in. Back to lurking.
ksboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:59   #11
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
The router has WEP (security) turned on and at some time a WEP KEY was created. You need to use that key on all your wifi computers.

Down load the net gear set-up pdf file and follow the instructions.

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/rp...tup_manual.pdf

There may be a user pass word for the router command menu, other then the default. If so, you need to use the reset procedure.

Then recreate a new wep key.

I use full 64 bit keys, that's is 64 characters long. I copied the key into a file and hid the file.

After you verify that you have the correct key, you just copy and past from the text file your put the key in.

When we have new gear or a friend visits, I get them a copy of the key.

After the 1st time you use the wep key to access the router, your laptop will save it forever.

My laptop has 5-6 wep keys for our in-laws & out-laws. When we visit, we are GTG.

As Stas mentioned, If you have win 7 or vista you could have comparability problems. Call net-gear and find out what they are doing to fix it..

Hope this helps??

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:28   #12
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

See just like I said,wait till JJ sees the post............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:47   #13
Hand
Guerrilla Chief

Here's a simplified version of all the techno speak in those links.
You need to add the wep key to your computers wireless settings , this key is already configured in the router, to do this;
1- log into the router from your computer by opening IE and typing 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.0.1 or some iteration of that ip address. The correct one (which is specific to your router) will open the configuration page of the router.
2 - you may need to log in if the password has been configured already to mofigy the security settings. If it has, and you either dont have it or don't remember it, its best to factory reset the router.
3- if you are able to login, look for a tab labelled. 'Security', "wireless security", or some variation of that term (again, this is netgear specific). When you find thjs tab, look for security settings/ network encryption options.
4- look for wep settings, (if you see an option to generate a key, don't do this!) You are looking for a set of 16 2 digit pairs of numbers. Thjs is your wep key. Write it down or copy and paste into a text file.
5- open the wireless settings on your computer. (Right click the wireless icon on your toolbar)
Now, depending on your computer, another program may be managing your wireless nic, if so you will see a message that says 'windows is nkt managing your wireless config. If this is the case, click advanced and in the window that opens (I think its the middle tab) check 'allow windows to manage wireless'. Now go back tk the first tab in that box, and go to search for networks. Select the one you want, click on security/ configure network/ wep encryption then enter the key exactly as you copied it, then click connect.

These are essentially (with minor variations) what must be done.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions , I am honored to be able to contribute something to this honored community of men.
Respectfully

Ps(I'm submitting this from IHOP with my Droid - please forgive any spelling/grammar/process deviations)

Last edited by Hand; 04-03-2011 at 09:50.
Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 14:51   #14
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand View Post
Ps(I'm submitting this from IHOP with my Droid - please forgive any spelling/grammar/process deviations)

Hand, thanks for the assistance.

Could you pick up a "to go" order from IHOP for my guys here in the box?

De Oppresso Liber
Old 04-03-2011, 14:54   #15
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand View Post
Here's a simplified version of all the techno speak in those links.
You need to add the wep key to your computers wireless settings , this key is already configured in the router, to do this;
1- log into the router from your computer by opening IE and typing 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.0.1 or some iteration of that ip address. The correct one (which is specific to your router) will open the configuration page of the router.
2 - you may need to log in if the password has been configured already to mofigy the security settings. If it has, and you either dont have it or don't remember it, its best to factory reset the router.
3- if you are able to login, look for a tab labelled. 'Security', "wireless security", or some variation of that term (again, this is netgear specific). When you find thjs tab, look for security settings/ network encryption options.
4- look for wep settings, (if you see an option to generate a key, don't do this!) You are looking for a set of 16 2 digit pairs of numbers. Thjs is your wep key. Write it down or copy and paste into a text file.
5- open the wireless settings on your computer. (Right click the wireless icon on your toolbar)
Now, depending on your computer, another program may be managing your wireless nic, if so you will see a message that says 'windows is nkt managing your wireless config. If this is the case, click advanced and in the window that opens (I think its the middle tab) check 'allow windows to manage wireless'. Now go back tk the first tab in that box, and go to search for networks. Select the one you want, click on security/ configure network/ wep encryption then enter the key exactly as you copied it, then click connect.

These are essentially (with minor variations) what must be done.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions , I am honored to be able to contribute something to this honored community of men.
Respectfully

I did this. But it only let me generate a WEP Number. It was 10 digit's. I used the WEP number and it still didn't work. I ll pick up a new router.