Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Edged Weapons

Old 02-09-2015, 09:33   #136
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Just a hypothetical thought; my son is not pursuing that course. The important thing would be to have a serialized blade in line with his classmates. Kind of like class rings.

Pat
I thought you said you would like to buy him one. That option is still available, as of now.

If not, he would need to be an honor graduate, and about 95% of his friends from the course will not have one either, so the sequence of the numbers will not matter.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 22:24   #137
bushmaster11
Guerrilla

Availability of "Y"

I missed the last iteration of old guy issue. So, I bought one with name and dates.

Wondering if they have started up again or is it still current?

J R sends
DOL
bushmaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:37   #138
kalanis
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmaster11 View Post
I missed the last iteration of old guy issue. So, I bought one with name and dates.

Wondering if they have started up again or is it still current?

J R sends
DOL
Email Roxanne Merritt at the Museum to find out: merrittr@soc.mil
Old 12-30-2015, 11:58   #139
Mycroft
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILDOT View Post
Sad news! Just talked to an SF Trooper that graduated from the "Q" Course yesterday. They are no longer issuing the Yarborough Knife to the graduates.

This was a fantastic tradition and I hate to see this way of honoring Luitenant General Yarborough and our troops going away. While I didn't receive one when I graduated I was always happy to see new troopers get one. It was a way of letting the troopers know that they were now a part of the Regiment.

With all the fraud waste and abuse that goes on and the fact that this guys give so much in a time when not all are required to serve, I find the situation very sad.
I'm sad I missed this update. But I will now send a delayed irate letter to Congress.

If anyone has an official source I can quote for the letter, I'd appreciate it.
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 19:19   #140
Lblanch40
Asset

In SF back in the 70's and saw this thread. Inquired about the Yarborough Knife and have gotten vetted to receive one. Purchase made! Excited to have this in my possession, as it is one more reason to be proud of the service to my country and have once been a member of the 7th Special Forces Group! DOL.
Lblanch40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:10   #141
Chucko
Guerrilla

I never heard of the Y knife until a day or so ago from postings on this forum. It sounds like a very nice gift for myself.

I don't know for sure if it is still available so I sent an email to yarboroughknife@soc.mil if it is at the museum to find out. I got the address from a couple year old post so I hope it goes through. "It did not go through." I tried a personal name from a few posts back and that got kicked out also.

Does anyone have an email address or phone number or location that is good yet to make this happen? I would want one that has a personal SN tied to a DD214 and diploma from the Q course.

Depending on the hoops I have to jump through maybe I will get it for my 50 year anniversary from the Q course, 1970.

If anyone has any tidbits or late concerns that I should know about or that might help the process. let me know.

Chuck

Last edited by Chucko; 05-28-2018 at 17:50.
Chucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:32   #142
gwbarnes
Asset

Applied for mine

Yesterday I sent my DD214 and graduation certificate from SFOC Class 4-70, in the hope the Yarborough knife is still available.
“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.”

John Stuart Mill
gwbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 20:08   #143
Dame
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucko View Post
I never heard of the Y knife until a day or so ago from postings on this forum. It sounds like a very nice gift for myself.

I don't know for sure if it is still available so I sent an email to yarboroughknife@soc.mil if it is at the museum to find out. I got the address from a couple year old post so I hope it goes through. "It did not go through." I tried a personal name from a few posts back and that got kicked out also.

Does anyone have an email address or phone number or location that is good yet to make this happen? I would want one that has a personal SN tied to a DD214 and diploma from the Q course.

Depending on the hoops I have to jump through maybe I will get it for my 50 year anniversary from the Q course, 1970.

If anyone has any tidbits or late concerns that I should know about or that might help the process. let me know.

Chuck

Chuck,

I am trying to find a contact as well. Both e-mail addresses are bouncing back to me as of today (Aug 19, 2019), but I have a request in to the JFKSWCS. I will post again if I hear anything useful.

Dame
Old 08-22-2019, 13:46   #144
Chucko
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dame View Post
Chuck,

I am trying to find a contact as well. Both e-mail addresses are bouncing back to me as of today (Aug 19, 2019), but I have a request in to the JFKSWCS. I will post again if I hear anything useful.

Dame
This is the lady I contacted to get things rolling, then all went quick. She works at the SF bookstore or museum, I forget.
Good Luck

<merrittr@socom.mil> Merritt Roxanne MS (USAJFKSWCS)
Old 08-22-2019, 21:58   #145
Dame
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucko View Post
This is the lady I contacted to get things rolling, then all went quick. She works at the SF bookstore or museum, I forget.
Good Luck

<merrittr@socom.mil> Merritt Roxanne MS (USAJFKSWCS)
Good Sir,
This is the gal I tried today with the address I received from Bill Harsey and Anne Reeve. It bounced. The other two bounced as well. Yours looks different so I will try that right now. I would really like to get this before Christmas, or at least before our impending nuptials. LKSteve and I are planning the date around 2020 SHOT show. Hope to see some of you fine folks there again.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:04   #146
Lblanch40
Asset

Roxanne was the POC when I inquired about getting a Yarborough knife. This is the info that I have:

Roxanne M. Merritt
Director, JFK Special Warfare Museum
910-432-4272/DSN: 239
910-432-4062 (fax)/DSN: 239
merrittr@socom.mil

Good luck and would be interested on how it works out for you.
Lblanch40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 15:47   #147
W9er
Asset

I was just delivered my new Yarborough by mail, and when I opened it it had two blemishes in the coating. Chris Reeves offered to receive it back, strip it, recoat, and resharpen for free if I pay the shipping back.
I fear it will cheapen the knife I I do this, so I’m looking for recommendations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8A0D23AB-CA5E-4D9A-ABF2-661E54F861B1.jpg (52.0 KB, 54 views)
W9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 17:13   #148
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9er View Post
I was just delivered my new Yarborough by mail, and when I opened it it had two blemishes in the coating. Chris Reeves offered to receive it back, strip it, recoat, and resharpen for free if I pay the shipping back.
I fear it will cheapen the knife I I do this, so I’m looking for recommendations.

I don't know why you'd assume it would de value the knife. If you send it to them it will come back looking factory new. Cosmetics aside, its a serial number knife, so it will always have an intrinsic value the commercial knives will never have. Send it in, I'm confident you won't be disappointed when you get it back.
Papa Zero Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 18:14   #149
W9er
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Zero Three View Post
I don't know why you'd assume it would de value the knife. If you send it to them it will come back looking factory new. Cosmetics aside, its a serial number knife, so it will always have an intrinsic value the commercial knives will never have. Send it in, I'm confident you won't be disappointed when you get it back.
Like a car, after it gets its first dent, it never feels the same. That being said, I’ve been working on this purchase since August, and now that I finally have it, I’m hesitant to part with it. Frankly the Acquisition was almost as difficult as earning it.
W9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 18:59   #150
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by W9er View Post
now that I finally have it, I’m hesitant to part with it.
1)if it's destiny is to be a safe-queen, send it in

2)if it's going to be used as designed, it has started it's the journey

Personally, I don't do safe queens..

My $00.0000002

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote