Old 01-31-2013, 18:35   #1
JoeyB
Quiet Professional

Columbia SC

Heading down there Feb -23. Any good fishing this time of year near there? Trout? Fly?
Men have always differed in their capacity to stomach risk. Many shun it, preferring to live circumscribed lives. Others rise to the circumstances when community or country comes calling, shedding day-to-day identifies as shopkeepers, scholars, or farmers to stare down the cannon’s mouth. A very few seek out danger as a matter of course. John F. Ross
JoeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:33   #2
Panda_Peake
Asset

Columbia, SC

I know this is too late for you to use now but maybe for later then. My Grandpa retired out of FT Jackson as a SFC 11B DS in 1967 and my dad was a navy P-3 pilot who graduated from USC-Columbia and has family there so I've been fishing that area for years.

Flyfishing is tough out there unless you like bluegill or white bass and own a boat or Kayak. If this is the case, you can never go wrong with olive or black wooly buggers or when the water gets warm a white or frog pattern popper. Also during the spring on FT Jackson Semmes lake on main post has a good Crappie run. There's a point across from an old gas station that is used for MWR now that has a drain on the right side, Crappie stack there March-April to spawn and can be caught on a fly rod. Just watch out for the old Japanese Oba-chan that are always fishing there...including mine.

Trout are released into the Saluda river and are fly-fishable. These guys can point you in a better direction for that: http://www.saludatu.org/