Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 02-15-2017, 07:57   #1
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Understanding Trump and Trumpism

A friend sent me this link to a six-part series of talks Newt Gingrich presented at the Heritage Foundation.

http://www.heritage.org/understandingtrumpism

Gingrich makes a compelling case that this is a watershed moment in US history and draws strong parallels to the inauguration of Abraham Lincoln in 1861. No matter your political philosophy or whom you supported in the recent election, this is a very good series and I guarantee you will come away with a much better understanding of the times we are experiencing and the dynamics that are in play.

Situational awareness is critical and I for one gained a great deal of clarity and a more granular SA from listening to Gingrich's thoughts.

After listening to this series, I suggest re-reading Prager's paper posted in the Second Civil War thread.

Cross-thread points please.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:20   #2
tonyz
Area Commander

Just got through first vid - interesting - thanks for posting.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:42   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
A friend sent me this link to a six-part series of talks Newt Gingrich presented at the Heritage Foundation.

http://www.heritage.org/understandingtrumpism

Gingrich makes a compelling case that this is a watershed moment in US history and draws strong parallels to the inauguration of Abraham Lincoln in 1861. No matter your political philosophy or whom you supported in the recent election, this is a very good series and I guarantee you will come away with a much better understanding of the times we are experiencing and the dynamics that are in play.

Situational awareness is critical and I for one gained a great deal of clarity and a more granular SA from listening to Gingrich's thoughts.

After listening to this series, I suggest re-reading Prager's paper posted in the Second Civil War thread.

Cross-thread points please.
Situational awareness, common sense and logic is not a part of the left-wing character traits. The left-wing sheep would rather be "ruled" by internet billionaires/global "elites", aka rich liberals.

I find it very amusing that internet "nerds" that invent billion dollar websites have become "experts" or "leaders" on global affairs.

Or are they just rich liberals that want/demand their way?????
Old 02-17-2017, 11:49   #4
VVVV

America first, bring back jobs for Americans.

http://origin-nyi.thehill.com/homene...gn-help-report
Old 02-17-2017, 14:28   #5
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Situational awareness, common sense and logic is not a part of the left-wing character traits. The left-wing sheep would rather be "ruled" by internet billionaires/global "elites", aka rich liberals.

I find it very amusing that internet "nerds" that invent billion dollar websites have become "experts" or "leaders" on global affairs.

Or are they just rich liberals that want/demand their way?????
And that is why I refuse to honor them with term Liberal. What they represent (either actively or passively), in fact, are the neo-fascists!

That's only part, but a very critical part, of the expanded SA IMO.

Know the enemy and name the enemy.
Old 02-17-2017, 22:07   #6
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post

Compelling indeed, but I see positive spin for every qualities. Also reminded me of Gladwell's Blink
I wonder which Trumpism would Newt describe the news conference antics with bbc reporter

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:32   #7
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
Compelling indeed, but I see positive spin for every qualities. Also reminded me of Gladwell's Blink
I wonder which Trumpism would Newt describe the news conference antics with bbc reporter
I take it from your choice of adjectives that you disapprove of the way in which he conducted the news conference. Yes it was very, very different. But, that doesn't mean it was wrong, or bad, just different.

Some have said it wasn't "Presidential". "Presidential" meaning not comporting with the demeanor of past Presidents. And that is a bad thing? Trump is an entrepreneur and a doer not a thinker (an intellectual idiot as Gingrich puts it). Trump is different and he is POTUS, therefore how he conducts himself is "Presidential" by definition. It's just different - a realist's perspective for a change.

No he does not conduct himself in the manner of previous Presidents. As an entrepreneur he is measuring success by outputs not inputs. In this case the input is the manner and form of conducting a Press Conference for example. The output is the behavior of the media.

Bannon is correct, they are the opposition. Trump is baiting the media and they are falling for it. He has them culled out and they are in the spotlight. The disingenuous reporting (fake news) and bias is becoming obvious as evidenced by the most recent polls. More people trust Trump than the media. This trend will continue IMO because of his confrontational style.

Others have said this is a sign of the chaos in his Administration. I say it's a reflection of his entrepreneurial management style. Most observers have no clue what that is and from their naive vantage point it appears chaotic - far from it. They should attend one of my management meetings.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:36   #8
frostfire
Area Commander

not disapprove, but concerned of the 2nd, 3rd order. His approach, while unconventionally "presidential," feeds the narcissistic, unfit narrative.

FWIW, I approve and was delighter to see the White House calling out the media on their shenanigans. Too often and too long these political activists hide behind journalism integrity and pass themselves as beyond reproach and untouchable.
Unfortunately, Spicer did not keep it just plain facts and thus giving the activists ammo to fire back and Conway's "alternative facts" feed the 1984 hysteria.

If all of these are well-crafted strategy and not plain blunders, then I guess I will be surprised when it all comes together in a historian record decades from now.

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:40   #9
PSM
Area Commander

Whether on purpose or accidentally, Trump is employing several tenets of Rules for Radicals:

“Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.”
“Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.”
“A good tactic is one your people enjoy.”
“Keep the pressure on. Never let up.”
“Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.”

If he keeps it up, this is a winning tactic as the Left in this country has shown over the last 70 years or so.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 13:31   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Who is John Galt?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 15:55   #11
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Who is John Galt?

TR
and where is John Galt?