Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 05-23-2012, 16:52   #1
MR2
Quiet Professional

Female Soldiers Sue U.S. in Challenge to Combat Limits

Female Soldiers Sue U.S. in Challenge to Combat Limits
By Tom Schoenberg, David Lerman and Sara Forden - May 23, 2012 3:35 PM MT

Two female soldiers asked a federal judge to throw out the U.S. military’s restrictions on women in combat, claiming the policy violates their constitutional rights.

U.S. Army reservists Jane Baldwin and Ellen Haring, in a lawsuit filed today in Washington, said policies excluding them from assignments “solely because they are women” violate their right to equal protection guaranteed by the Constitution’s 5th Amendment. The complaint names Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and Army Secretary John McHugh as defendants.

“This limitation on plaintiffs’ careers restricts their current and future earnings, their potential for promotion and advancement, and their future retirement benefits,” the women said in the complaint filed by Christopher Sipes of Covington & Burling LLP in Washington.

The Pentagon in February announced a change in policy that opened more than 14,000 additional positions to women across the armed services, most of them in the Army. Still, it stopped short of allowing women to serve in so-called ground combat assignments, including special forces and long range reconnaissance operations.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...at-policy.html

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 16:59   #2
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

All well and good until females start getting dead in large numbers.
Old 05-23-2012, 17:06   #3
Richard
Quiet Professional

Well...I pooped today.

If it works, don't fix it.

And so it goes...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 17:19   #4
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Well...I pooped today.

If it works, don't fix it.

And so it goes...

Richard
Am I misunderstanding, or do you actually believe the education system is working as it should?
Old 05-23-2012, 17:25   #5
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Am I misunderstanding, or do you actually believe the education system is working as it should?
Huh? I thought this thread was about the roles of women in combat and the push to change them.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 17:26   #6
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Huh? I thought this thread was about the roles of women in combat and the push to change them.

Richard
I...I...I

Cross thread points?
Old 05-23-2012, 17:48   #7
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
This limitation on plaintiffs’ careers restricts their current and future earnings, their potential for promotion and advancement, and their future retirement benefits,” the women said in the complaint filed by Christopher Sipes of Covington & Burling LLP in Washington.
Umm, what?

Don't we have female generals? Don't women earn hostile fire, combat zone pay, and tax free pay while in theater?

Not sure how the above can be a valid claim.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 17:51   #8
head
Quiet Professional

As for physical performance...

If I saw fewer fatasses and beanpoles that can't do a pullup in combat arms, I might be upset about this.

Get rid of the Male/Female standards.

Implement two sets of standards for weight and physical capabilities, Support and Combat.

Allow units to supplement standards (at Division/Regiment level) - they can "add to but can't take away" - ie higher standards (or additional events) for USASFC combat soldiers. The unit standards would be evaluated and approved so not to be biased against one gender, race, etc, but a no-shit standard that needs to be met in order to do a job. Frankly, I could give a damn about a soldier who can get a 350 on the current PT test if he can't run 200m with his 230lb buddy over his shoulder. 100 pushups never saved anyone's life.

These standards need to be enforced - regardless of gender, and commands need to have the legal ability to swiftly remove a soldier and place on worldwide assignment (or QMP) for not meeting the standard.
Old 05-23-2012, 17:55   #9
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
I...I...I

Cross thread points?
That's it Dusty,No more sipping Jamason when writing posts on this forum...........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII

Last edited by greenberetTFS; 05-24-2012 at 03:06.
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 17:57   #10
cbtengr
Area Commander

When the big reduction in force starts how many women are going to be filing suit because they were wrongfully put out of the military? Where does it end? Their, their, their, its all about them. Losing ones job definitely restricts current and future earnings. What do they want? Rumor has it that RS is opening up to some of them.
Old 05-23-2012, 18:54   #11
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
That's it Dusty,No more Jamason when writing posts on this forum...........

Big Teddy
lol It would make absolutey zero difference if I tried to explain.
Old 05-23-2012, 19:09   #12
plato
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by head View Post
As for physical performance...

Frankly, I could give a damn about a soldier who can get a 350 on the current PT test if he can't run 200m with his 230lb buddy over his shoulder. 100 pushups never saved anyone's life.
A vigorous Amen.

It was irritating to see women whine their way into West Point. However, when the officials there dropped the requirement for female cadets to become able to carry an equipped soldier of equal weight to safety, as an absolute requirement for graduation, it pushed me over the edge.

Been a 2LT, and granted, being of actual value to their unit takes some growing time and "adoption" by their NCOs. But, fer Chrissakes, not to be able to help your own when they're hurt? Beyond absurd.
Old 05-23-2012, 21:20   #13
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I have found the best way to get along with women is to give them what they want. Send them.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 21:39   #14
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

history's deadliest soldier was a russian woman...train them and send
them...just my 2 ct...
twistedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 23:20   #15
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedsquid View Post