Old 03-21-2017, 11:00   #1
Marty
Asset

Stuttering in SF

I have searched the forums and could not find anything directly relating to this question. I am currently talking to a recruiter about enlisting, the only hang up is I have a mild stutter where it occasionally takes me a few seconds to get a word out; most of the time however, I am fluent. I am going to need a medical waiver but my recruiter seems confident in my abilities to get in with an 18x contract.

I understand the need to communicate quickly and effectively to do the job, paired with the need to be able to instruct and lead. In this area I feel confident in my ability to speak but might have blocks occasionally.

My questions are have you ever met anyone in SF with a stutter/speech impediment? Have you heard of someone not getting selected due to stuttering?
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:16   #2
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
I have searched the forums and could not find anything directly relating to this question. I am currently talking to a recruiter about enlisting, the only hang up is I have a mild stutter where it occasionally takes me a few seconds to get a word out; most of the time however, I am fluent. I am going to need a medical waiver but my recruiter seems confident in my abilities to get in with an 18x contract.

I understand the need to communicate quickly and effectively to do the job, paired with the need to be able to instruct and lead. In this area I feel confident in my ability to speak but might have blocks occasionally.

My questions are have you ever met anyone in SF with a stutter/speech impediment? Have you heard of someone not getting selected due to stuttering?
No, and no. And if you do succeed in getting accepted as an 18X, I'll be VERY interested in knowing how well you do in language school.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 13:25   #3
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

At 1-10, my detachment E7 18F had a pretty good stutter. Never impacted his performance. He'd stuttered all his life. This was back in the mid 80's.

At K2 (Uzbekistan), there was a guard bunker on top of the berm directly adjacent to my tent. Just a few meters away. A young USMC NCO often pulled night sentry duty there. He had a raging case of both stuttering & Tourette Syndrome. Given to barking out all manner of uncontrolled profanities at random times. After awhile, I slept through it because I at least knew he was wide awake and watching his sector.

Lots of famous and successful folks are/were stutterers. Winston Churchill. Former VP Joe Biden. USAF BG (Ret) & actor Jimmie Stewart. Renowned stage/film star James Earl Jones. Throw those names at anyone who argues the point.

If your case is mild, I wouldn't expect it to be a show stopper and the waiver would likely be pretty simple to approve (if needed).

I've had guys on teams who could barely speak coherently in public... and they didn't have a stutter. Not unintelligent, just limited in their command of the English language and their ability to speak in front of others. Worse than stuttering actually.

Good luck.

Last edited by Astronomy; 03-21-2017 at 15:16.
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 13:29   #4
FearMonkey
Quiet Professional

Marty,
One of my former teammates had a fairly significant stutter. He was an excellent teacher, mentor, and warrior. He continues to lead a full, exciting, and wonderful career with Special Forces. Don't sweat it! Focus on the things you CAN control; such as your physical fitness, mental fortitude, and moral integrity. Those elements will ultimately be the deciding factor. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2017, 14:11   #5
adal
Quiet Professional

One of my fellow medics has a stutter. License plate says Sssteve. You'll probably do fine.
Old 03-21-2017, 16:03   #6
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

And we use hand and arms signals to back up our voice commands.....

Besides, if we can understand most of our 18B's we'll understand you.
Old 03-21-2017, 17:41   #7
Marty
Asset

Thank you for all the replies, definitely encouraging.
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 22:50   #8
scooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by adal View Post
One of my fellow medics has a stutter. License plate says Sssteve.
That's funny.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:11   #9
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

I've also known a few while I was on AD. One was my 180A that had suffered a severe TBI (outboard hit him in the nugget) and it never affected their ability to do their job. As was already mentioned, your training, competence, and confidence will help you compensate for it.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 22:47   #10
JGC2
Quiet Professional

I've known four stutterers in SF, two very closely. None of them ever had any issues. Those two were top performers. For some reason, none of them had any problems once they were giving a brief. It's as if the stuttering button was turned off.

I wouldn't stress about this one bit if I was you.
Old 03-25-2017, 16:36   #11
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Speech impediment ????

Marty, No & No/ However, I was a SF Delta in Vietnam,1964....But your speech should not matter; Do your best and never quit...TK
Old 03-27-2017, 00:19   #12
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

I had two stutterers in my Falcon (A unit of 8 that filled a Fire Force Puma chopper)
We were once slightly delayed when we were at the canteen counter ordering cool drinks when the siren went off, meaning we should sprint to the choppers for a mission. The chap in front of me was ordering. "Give me a c C C C C, Ggive me a C C C .
Man, Fuck the Coke, Ggive me a Fanta."
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 17:33   #13
Leozinho
Quiet Professional

I took language training for a gov agency with a stutterer. He stuttered in his target language and still passed.

I'm confident the graders didn't hold his stuttering against him, and rightly so.

I can't speak for SF language program graders but would be surprised if they hold it against you. If you stutter in English and the Army doesn't make that a disqualifier, then why would they hold it against you when learning your target language?
Leozinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 16:54   #14
SC Pete
Quiet Professional

Knew a guy who had a pretty good stutter. (18 B). Odd, as he NEVER stuttered speaking his target language. And we, his team-mates, didn't give a f*ck when he was talking to us and stuttered. So don't worry too much.
SC Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:23   #15
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Location: You can't get here from there; you have to go someplace else first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
And we use hand and arms signals to back up our voice commands.....

Besides, if we can understand most of our 18B's we'll understand you.
Good one, Top!

Don't know where I'm goin', but there's no use in bein' late.
I've never been lost. I've been a mite confused at times, but never lost.
I'm not lost! I know where I am; I just don't know where everybody else is.
UWOA (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote