Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 02-06-2010, 13:04   #16
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger2339 View Post
I have no desire to be in the guard anymore, I want to go active. I have a family now (wife and child) so I need them to be covered, financially and medically when I'm gone.
Families are covered, same as AD. NG SF gives you options, like the pipeline.

Will you enjoy AD, if SFAS or Q do not come to fruition?
Old 02-06-2010, 13:30   #17
ranger2339
SF Candidate

Not making it hasn't even crossed my mind, its something that I dont think about. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
ranger2339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 13:59   #18
CoolT
Asset

I'm going back in as an E-4. I asked if I could get an age waiver and they said no. I may have been getting the run around though. There's no doubt that i'll be proactive about the subject during OSUT or Jump. But back to my original question. If I have to wait until I get to my duty station, from the time I talk to an SF recruiter until the time i'm at SFPC, does anyone know approximatley how long that is on average?
CoolT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 14:08   #19
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Quote:
Big Teddy,

I was under the impression that once we were in the "pipeline", we should sterilize our info.?

Thanks,
Josh
This is well out of my lane, however; a QP has asked you to fill out your bio/profile, as all of us have, and IAW site rules. Your response should be, "Thank you greenberetTFS, will do". I note you bio/profile is still missing.

Back to my lane.

RF 1
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 14:18   #20
ranger2339
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Flag 1 View Post
This is well out of my lane, however; a QP has asked you to fill out your bio/profile, as all of us have, and IAW site rules. Your response should be, "Thank you greenberetTFS, will do". I note you bio/profile is still missing.

Back to my lane.

RF 1
My profile is filled out.

Thanks,

Josh
ranger2339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 17:52   #21
Scimitar
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolT View Post
I'm going back in as an E-4. I asked if I could get an age waiver and they said no. I may have been getting the run around though. There's no doubt that i'll be proactive about the subject during OSUT or Jump. But back to my original question. If I have to wait until I get to my duty station, from the time I talk to an SF recruiter until the time i'm at SFPC, does anyone know approximatley how long that is on average?
Things are changing all the time, I'd recommend talking to the SORB guys again, but my understanding is once you have reached E4 you can drop the packet. You're probably looking at no longer then 3-6 months + around a 3 month delay between SFAS and the Q.

May want to think about your plan to communicate the fact that you're going SF with your new unit. Response isn't always friendly. They can't really stop you from going but they can make life difficult as many reports have suggested they don't appreciate losing a good guy. Also be aware that a deployment could possibly significantly stretch out this time line.

There are others on this board who have been in your situation who can comment from experiance but I hope this gave you some things to look into further.

Cheers

S

P.S. I'm not to sure you'll get SOPC, there was a time where soft MOS where getting some sort of prep course, not sure if this is still happening, as an 11B though their gonna assume you're ready, although I have heard reports that if you request SOPC at SORB they may be able to give it to you under the assumption that you may not have the experiance that most non-18X line soldiers are bringing into play.

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying

Last edited by Scimitar; 02-06-2010 at 17:56.
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 18:12   #22
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

There are a lot of opinions being bandied about here. The most ridiculous is that the Army is going to put someone back through the Basic Airborne Course because it has been a long time since they jumped.

The next person who fails to read and comply with the stickies at the top of this forum, to include this one http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=22758 is going to have some issues.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 19:01   #23
Dozer523
BANNED USER

23 posts.
12 GO's
11 NoGO's
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:46   #24
Defion69
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I'm an E-5 right now, I graduated Honor Grad at WLC (that course was a joke) About 75% of the "leaders" there should of been sent back to basic, or kicked out of the Army. I dont mind going back to ABN training at all, I welcome the challenge of any schools,it would be nice to hit up the Bragg Pre Ranger course before SFAS.

Im only 28 years old, not to old IMO. I was 19 when I went to Ranger school, pushing well into the extended scale on my APFT, my goal is to be in that shape before SFAS.

Thanks for all the advice guys,

Josh
Alright I extended some advice and will do so once more.

I don't think it is wise to go around calling a professional military school "a joke" regardless of your personal opinion about the instructors and the instruction. That kind of banter just isn't professional or mature (what SF is looking for...maturity).

I never mentioned anything about going back to airborne training (all). What I did write is Airborne REFRESHER. As an NCO who is airborne qualified (YOU), look up in the appropriate Army regulation regarding refresher training. Also, hit up Bragg Pre Ranger? You are already Ranger qualified according to your post...unless you went and failed.

Be the NCO that you are and read your regulations. The majority of your answers are in some AR...find them.

Take care
Defion69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:57   #25
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

If you get back in on the 18X contract you will report to SOPC then head to SFAS from there. If selected you will attend BAR (Basic Airborne Refresher-not the entire 3 weeks) and begin the SFQC to include PLDC/BNCOC.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:53   #26
Acholin
BANNED USER

t

Last edited by Acholin; 05-30-2010 at 21:09.
Acholin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:25   #27
LOA
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
If you get back in on the 18X contract you will report to SOPC then head to SFAS from there. If selected you will attend BAR (Basic Airborne Refresher-not the entire 3 weeks) and begin the SFQC to include PLDC/BNCOC.

Crip

Has this changed since 2010?

I'm finalizing plans for keeping my truck and personal items stored and want to be as considerate as possible to those nice enough to store my property.

If I'm headed back to OSUT for a while, I would like to tell those that are helping me out that it will be a few months longer until I can pick up my things.

(Recruiter has no idea and reservation has me bouncing back and forth between Benning and Bragg a few times which I don't see happening.)

Background- 11C airborne qualified NG to 18x via conditional release.

Thanks.
LOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:27   #28
LOA
SF Candidate

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOA View Post
Has this changed since 2010?

I'm finalizing plans for keeping my truck and personal items stored and want to be as considerate as possible to those nice enough to store my property.

If I'm headed back to OSUT for a while, I would like to tell those that are helping me out that it will be a few months longer until I can pick up my things.

(Recruiter has no idea and reservation has me bouncing back and forth between Benning and Bragg a few times which I don't see happening.)

Background- 11C airborne qualified NG to 18x via conditional release.

Thanks.
Update: Word from a prior service SF candidate who just went through 30th confirmed that a soldier which is already infantry MOSQ'd and airborne qualified (been through OSUT and BAC) will head directly to SOPC hold after 30th.

V/R
LOA

Last edited by LOA; 01-02-2012 at 14:01. Reason: To be more clear.
LOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:52   #29
lonetlan
Asset

My $.02

If anyone would know it would be these guys!

Last edited by lonetlan; 01-03-2012 at 02:31.
lonetlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 15:18   #30
Mako
Asset

Prior Service Question

This thread came closest to answering my question. I am a prior service guardsman (11B) E4. I recently signed an 18x contract and ship June 7th. My Career Adviser at MEPS couldn't provide sufficient clarity on my training pipeline as the system has seemed to change. I was advised that my SOPC course would be facilitated under the new mountain warfare school at Benning. It was to my understanding SOPC is at Bragg and acts as an administrative hold for SFAS. After SOPC I was told I would report to ABN. Once ABN is complete I would fall into an OSUT class to do an "11B refresher course". My training pipeline on my reservation sheet from MEPS looks like this:

PREREQ BENN 20170616 8WKS 0DAYS
PREREQ BENN 20170811 3WKS 4DAYS
OSUT. BENN 20170905 2WKS 3DAYS

My questions are, does this seem correct? Can someone define the "PREREQS"? Any clarity on what to expect upon reporting to Benning would be greatly appreciated Gents! I'm a new guy here and I am very thankful for the wealth of knowledge that is available on this forum. Thanks!

VR

Last edited by Mako; 04-10-2017 at 19:18.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote