Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 08-17-2015, 09:08   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I'm sorry what were you saying about Mr. Trump? "Can't Win"?

I'm sorry what were you saying about Mr. Trump? "Can't Win"? Could you say that a little louder, I can't hear you over the millions that want Mr. Trump as President.

And it will take a Mr. Trump to undo Zero's years of destruction. Will Mr. trump make mistakes, maybe but let's remember "Solyndra" and how a kenyan gave them $500,000 million of the "taxpayers" money.

I'm tired of morons running this country into the ground. This country needs a Donald Trump.

Yes, Donald Trump can win, but here’s what it will take
By Edward J. Rollins
August 17, 2015

Since Donald Trump’s June 16 announcement that he is running for president, the billionaire developer has dominated the national media and the political conversation on a daily basis. Against one of the strongest Republican fields since 1980, Trump leads virtually all state and national polls — and seems oblivious to accepted rules of presidential politics.

What happens now?

No modern campaign has started as quickly or with as much drama as Trump’s. With 15 months to go before the 2016 vote, no one can tell you what’s going to happen. But with the largest audience in U.S. primary history watching the first Republican presidential debate, there is obviously interest in this election. And one thing is for sure: Trump is not going away, and millions of his supporters may stay with him to the bitter end. Many believe this is not a protest campaign but a winning campaign — and they like their man!

I am a veteran of five decades of U.S. politics, and I feel something different going into this election cycle. Polls show deep unhappiness with our elected officials, whether Democrat or Republican.

I ran President Ronald Reagan’s 1984 re-election campaign and served as his White House political director. I also managed the first phase of the Ross Perot campaign in 1992. Perot, like Trump, jumped in front of a political movement when voters — like today — were unhappy with the status quo and wanted change.

Perot ran as an independent, and in June 1992 was leading both President George H.W. Bush and Arkansas Governor Bill Clinton, with 39 percent of all voters. After that poll, Perot was treated by the media as a serious candidate and scrutinized like any other serious candidate running for president. Perot didn’t like the criticism, his poll numbers dropped dramatically and he quit the race in mid-July.

The day before he quit, he fired all the professionals in the campaign, including me.

We had been trying to make him run a professional campaign — he was taking on not only an incumbent president but also both political parties. A daunting task. But I had recruited a team of top-notch Democrat and Republican talent, who all wanted to participate in a change election. We had laid out a campaign strategy that would have made Perot a contender. Every day I gave him a decision package of things he needed to decide and do. He just couldn’t do it!

The day he fired us, Perot announced that he wanted to make it an all-volunteer campaign again. He was ridiculed from one end of the country to the other. Those most unhappy about the firings were actually the volunteers, who wanted to run a winning campaign. There was dissent in the ranks and no one in charge. Perot decided to end the campaign the next day. He quit!

He returned several months later. But he was never a viable candidate again.

The difference between Perot and Trump is that the Texas billionaire couldn’t deal with bad press or the continuing rough and tumble of presidential politics. When it got tough — Perot quit. Trump, however, thrives on it! And quitter has never been a term associated with Donald Trump.

Part of his advantage is that voters are fed up with the status quo. Many think the other candidates, mostly former or current elected officials, are part of the problem. Just more of the same.

cont:

http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debat...-it-will-take/
Old 08-17-2015, 09:14   #2
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Sounds like Ed is looking for a job.

I don't think Trump will do what it takes, as Ed has put it.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:13   #3
MR2
Quiet Professional

Emphasis added:
Quote:
With 15 months to go before the 2016 vote, no one can tell you what’s going to happen. But with the largest audience in U.S. primary history watching the first Republican presidential debate, there is obviously interest in this election. And one thing is for sure: Trump is not going away, and millions of his supporters may stay with him to the bitter end. Many believe this is not a protest campaign but a winning campaign — and they like their man!

I am a veteran of five decades of U.S. politics, and I feel something different going into this election cycle. Polls show deep unhappiness with our elected officials, whether Democrat or Republican.
Ed has always been perspicacious, but he has been out of the trenches for several cycles. I fear he does not have a true grasp of the almost primary importance nor the extreme level of detail that data has become in campaigns since 2007. State GOPs grasped the concept in 2010, implemented it in 2012-2014, and now the RNC has swooped in just in time to fumble in 2016. Business (Trump) clearly understands it. The masters - Dems have moved on to another new secret weapon to spring upon us. Checkers vs. Chess vs. Go. Damn our feet of clay.

Each and every contender, on both sides, should never be discounted.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:12   #4
rubberneck
Area Commander

Donald Trump is Michael Bloomberg without the intelligence. I can't support a life long democrat as the Republican nominee. I personally hopes his candidacy ends like the Hindenberg.

Last edited by rubberneck; 08-17-2015 at 11:22.
rubberneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:45   #5
Pericles
Guerrilla

As I have posted elsewhere, I was on the Perot 1992 campaign, and was fired with the rest of the staff. I stayed on as a volunteer and was back on staff for the thunder run.

Ed is part of the political class and the volunteers hated his ass.

When Perot passes from the scene, I will speak more freely about the events of 1992.

Trump will appeal to people who otherwise would not vote, as did Perot. I'd suggest to the candid observer, that if the Republican party wants to win national elections, it needs to appeal to people who don't ordinarily, vote, rather than try to peel votes off of Democrats.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:09   #6
rubberneck
Area Commander

I have great respect for Perot, the man, but all his misguided candidacy managed to do was to ensure the American public has had to deal with those low life, scum sucking Clintons fro the past 23 years. Without Perot sucking support away from Bush there's no way slick Willie wins that race. That's Iwhat I fear most about Trump. He's an outspoken egomaniac who only cares about his bottom line and being the center of attention. His candidacy will ensure then next President is a Dem and that means the court likely turns liberal. Thanks but no thanks.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:45   #7
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberneck View Post
Donald Trump is Michael Bloomberg without the intelligence. I can't support a life long democrat as the Republican nominee. I personally hopes his candidacy ends like the Hindenberg.
That's ok, everyone has an opinion. More than half this nation thought placing a drug smoking, liar, loser and spineless coward in the White House was also a good idea.

Even I once thought "live and let live" Not any more. Those days are gone.
Old 08-17-2015, 13:22   #8
rubberneck
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
That's ok, everyone has an opinion. More than half this nation thought placing a drug smoking, liar, loser and spineless coward in the White House was also a good idea.

Even I once thought "live and let live" Not any more. Those days are gone.
Trump is the Manchurian candidate. A lifelong liberal who's pro late term abortion, was for universal health care, and was pro gun control, etc. He's also the same guy that said in an interview on MSNBC two years ago that Bill Clinton was his favorite President and that he would support Hillary if she ran. if I wanted to vote for a Democrat I'd vote for Jim Webb before I'd vote for Trump.
Old 08-17-2015, 14:24   #9
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberneck View Post
Donald Trump is Michael Bloomberg without the intelligence. I can't support a life long democrat as the Republican nominee.
Funny you should say that, seeing as who you have as your avatar.

Quote:
Moving to Hollywood in 1937, he became an actor, starring in a few major productions. Reagan was twice elected as President of the Screen Actors Guild, the labor union for actors, where he worked to root out Communist influence. In the 1950s he moved into television and was a motivational speaker at General Electric factories. Having been a lifelong liberal Democrat, his views changed. He became a conservative and in 1962 switched to the Republican Party.
It's still early in this election cycle. We've got a long ways to go.

Trump is saying what people want to hear, that they're fed up with the status quo of how things are being done in DC, especially with the GOP.

We gave them the House to control Barry's purse strings, but they put a crying, whining, sniveling, no back boned SOB in as Speaker of the House.

We then gave them the Senate and strengthened their position in the House, but still, have seen NOTHING from them.

What Trump brings to the table is what We The People have been screaming about for the past six years ... we need a change !!!!

Yes, Trump is an egomaniac and might just be in it for himself, but IF he is nominated as the GOP's candidate and runs against who the Dems choose, it'll send a message to the GOP establishment that we're sick and tired of how they're doing things, and if they don't change their ways and start listening to us, they might as well start drafting out their resumes to the talk shows on FOX, CNN and MSNBC.

But as I mentioned above .... We've got a ways to go yet.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 14:56   #10
Guy
Quiet Professional

The silent majority are reaching out....

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 15:57   #11
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
The silent majority are reaching out....
Trust me Brother, I'm ready to go Loud if necessary.....
Old 08-17-2015, 16:40   #12
Go Devil
Guerrilla Chief

Voting will not affect any change in the status quo.
Voting for Trump is a passive aggressive way of saying "Let it all Burn."
Voting for president is currently political entertainment akin to participating in a fantasy football league.

This is a rigged system.
Old 08-17-2015, 17:13   #13
spherojon
Guerrilla

Honestly, I think the change starts with well educated votes. This community brings that to the table. All we have to do as a group is to encourage others to make well educated decisions. Impress upon those that each election is like an exam...like a once in every 4 year exam that has a direct impact.
Old 08-17-2015, 17:19   #14
echoes
Area Commander

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Devil View Post
Voting will not affect any change in the status quo.
Voting for Trump is a passive aggressive way of saying "Let it all Burn."
Voting for president is currently political entertainment akin to participating in a fantasy football league.

This is a rigged system.
I must disagree with your sentiment! Passive aggressive is not to vote, IMHO.

My normally political views are kept quiet here on PS, but I 100% agree with The TS on this about Trump! Good on Him for saying it loud and proud, and not bowing to Megan what's her face from the debate, fwiw.

JMHO.

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 18:02   #15
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
Funny you should say that, seeing as who you have as your avatar. .
Beat me to it! I couldn't believe what I was reading in Rubberneck's post staring at The Gipper as I read it.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote