Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hall of Heroes > POW/MIA

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2004, 19:58   #1
Martinez
The Team Sergeants Little Sister

Shriver, MSGT. Jerry Michael

Name: Jerry Michael "Mad Dog" Shriver
Rank/Branch: Master Sergeant/US Army

Unit: Military Assistance Command, Vietnam Studies and Observation Group, Command and Control South, 5th Special Forces Group, 1st Special Forces, Ban Me Thuot, South Vietnam

Date of Birth: 24 September 1941 (De Funiak Springs, FL)
Home of Record: Sacramento, CA
Date of Loss: 24 April 1969
Country of Loss: Cambodia

Loss Coordinates: 165048N 1063158E (XT441913)-Official
1140850 N 10619118E - actual

Status in 1973: Missing in Action
Category: 4
Aircraft/Vehicle/Ground: Ground

Other Personnel In Incident: Earnest C. Jamison (remains recovered); Gregory M. Harrigan; Paul D. Cahill and Walter L. Marcantel (evacuated/recovered)

REMARKS:

SYNOPSIS MACV-SOG, or Military Assistance Command Vietnam Studies and Observation Group, was a joint service unconventional warfare task force engaged in highly classified operations throughout Southeast Asia. The 5th Special Forces channeled personnel into MACV-SOG (though it was not a Special Forces group) through Special Operations Augmentation (SOA), which provided their "cover" while under secret orders to MACV-SOG. These teams performed deep penetration missions of strategic reconnaissance and interdiction that were called, depending on the location and time frame, "Shining Brass," "Daniel Boone," "Salem House" or "Prairie Fire" missions.

During 1968 and early 1969, CCS had been inserting 6-man reconnaissance patrols into the Fish Hook border area between South Vietnam and Cambodia. The hard reality was due to the intense enemy presence continuously operating in the region, if a patrol could be inserted and stay on the ground undetected for three days, it was very lucky. Many teams were discovered within 30 minutes of insertion and forced to be extracted under fire shortly thereafter. Another major factor faced by reconnaissance teams, including the Hatchet Force, was locating an unguarded landing zone (LZ). Locating one large enough for a single helicopter insertion was one thing, however, finding an unguarded LZ large enough to accommodate four helicopters was quite another.

To shift the balance of power and disrupt the NVA's influence in the region, a direct attack on the North Vietnamese headquarters for operations in South Vietnam known as the Central Office for South Vietnam (COSVN) was developed by Military Assistance Command, Vietnam. The headquarters bunker complex was located just a mile inside Cambodia in the Fish Hook area; approximately 14 miles southeast of Memot, Cambodia; 20 miles southeast of Quan Loi and 28 miles northeast of Tay Ninh, South Vietnam.

After receiving his mission days before the Hatchet Force was to be inserted, Lt. Col. Earl Trabue, Commander of Command and Control South, informed OP-35, MACV-SOG in his opinion their plan to attack the COSVN complex was not viable. The plan included the Hatchet Force snatching NVA prisoners as well as reporting on the effects of a B-52 Arc Light air strike against the COSVN complex that was also going to be used to cover the team's insertion. Lt. Col. Trabue fully understood the complexities of the mission and believed it to be too dangerous to insert only an augmented platoon and should be cancelled. Further, he believed the B-52 Arc Light air strike would not stun the enemy as projected.

The size of the Hatchet Force was limited as only 9 US Army Huey helicopters assigned to the 195th Assault Helicopter Company were available for the 10 minute, 20-mile flight from Quan Loi Airfield, MACV-SOG's southern launch site, to the target - 4 Huey transport insertion helicopters supported by 4 Huey gunships and 1 Huey command and control aircraft for directing the overall mission. Because of the flight configuration, only one platoon-sized force could be assigned to this mission.

On 24 April 1969, Capt. William H. O'Rourke, Jr., company commander and ground mission commander; Capt. Paul D. Cahill, assistant ground commander; 1st Lt. Gregory M. Harrigan and 1st Lt. Walter L. Marcantel, then SFC Jerry M. "Mad Dog" Shriver, Hatchet Force exploitation platoon leader; Sgt. Earnest C. Jamison, team medic; and their Montagnard soldiers comprised the augmented Hatchet Force that was to be inserted into Cambodia by helicopter 1½ miles north of the Vietnamese/Cambodian border.
--
You'll have to read the rest here because it wouldn't let me post the whole thing, I got a message that it was too long.

(Just a note here: I have in the past assisted Task Force Omega, Inc. with their bio project. I'm the proof reader. For this particular bio we worked closely with Jerry's Commander, Col. Earl Trabue. Col. Trabue was flying in the C&C ship.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jerry.jpg (11.0 KB, 455 views)
Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote