Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 05-07-2005, 21:29   #31
alphamale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver
Watch and learn, just how to handle that "other" species known as WOMAN. (taking notes myself)
Alas, Sdiver, there are certain subspecies of Femme types that can't be handled .

*Somewhere* in PS.com, the Team Sergeant said that he would rather wrestle with a naked alligator (or was it an oiled alligator?) then try to control me, and Mr. Harsey said something interesting along those lines as well, but all my Search-Fu for 10 minutes will not turn it up. It might have been in one of those threads that that rascal Ambush Master scuttled. ::sniff::

But I swear he said it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Hey, FS! Got your answers yet?
No. I have yet to complete the needed consult before giving my Final Answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
Hold on there, Skippy. Just because I'm away learning new and aneurysm-inducing space geek stuff doesn't mean you're my new spokeschick.
Oh yes it does!!

Just ask Mr. Harsey! We have a similar agreement! He takes a weekend off. I take control. He has no worries!!!

FrontSight
Old 05-07-2005, 21:37   #32
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontSight
He takes a weekend off. I take control. He has no worries!!!
Thanks...you're a regular Buddy Pine.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 21:45   #33
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Just ask Mr. Harsey! We have a similar agreement! He takes a weekend off. I take control. He has no worries!!!

FrontSight
I am not sure that I would go that far.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 22:46   #34
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:

FrontSight
(looking up from notebook)

For some reason, I find it hard to imagine Mr. H relinquishing control to anyone....esp one of "them's".

(back to taking notes)

AJ.....you getting this down too ?
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 01:17   #35
alphamale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
Thanks...you're a regular Buddy Pine.
?? I think you are scheming with The Reaper for ways to bring up obscure references.

Quote:
I am not sure that I would go that far.
When Mr. Harsey wakes up in the morning, he will set the record straight

FrontSight
Old 05-08-2005, 06:20   #36
alphamale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver
(looking up from notebook)[...](back to taking notes)
And, to mark a serious note, the first sentence in the first reply from The Reaper:

Quote:
This lamentable error in judgement is going to continue to haunt you for the rest of your life.
made me think of decisions that were seemingly inconsequential at the moment, yet have the result of something suddenly going very wrong.

That's why a simple question of "Want to go camping?" from my buddies Julia and Bryce warrants a "Yes, and have you thought of all the things that can go wrong and ways you can get killed on 3-day a camping trip?"

I think it's harder to consciously realize when a situation is slowly going wrong or getting slowly worse. One way is to take a mental checkpoint and assess, "If [this situation] were to get worse, what would it be like?"

And vice versa, so you can try to make it go in the opposite direction. Thinking about that always helps me to take action whereas otherwise I might just adjust to the new [worse] situation and rationalize that it's not actually worse.

FrontSight
Old 05-08-2005, 06:44   #37
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Quote:
I think it's harder to consciously realize when a situation is slowly going wrong or getting slowly worse. One way is to take a mental checkpoint and assess, "If [this situation] were to get worse, what would it be like?"

And vice versa, so you can try to make it go in the opposite direction. Thinking about that always helps me to take action whereas otherwise I might just adjust to the new [worse] situation and rationalize that it's not actually worse.

FrontSight
I'm going to go drink like 3 more cups of coffee and re-read this.

[Walking away, shaking head, asking myself, WTF was all that about?]
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 07:33   #38
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:

FrontSight
And here I thought you had your MBA all sewed up. We military types use a variety of tools (operations estimate, intell estimate, troop leading procedures, METTTS, area studies, area assessements and NDD's favorite OODA) to think thru stuff like this. I would have thought that you could use a similar tool from your marketing course or strategic planning course to do the same thing. Just change some of the parameters to identify where you currently are and then plug in the variables that impact on where you want to go.

Jack Moroney-cautioning that any plan is locked in jello and has to change as the variables that impact it change. Also recommending the acronymn PACE (Primary, Alternate, Contingency, Emergency) from my non-technical commo days.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:17   #39
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
?? I think you are scheming with The Reaper for ways to bring up obscure references.
Haven't seen "The Incredibles" yet, have you?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:45   #40
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:

FrontSight
Just a little study in situational awarness here...
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 14:17   #41
ActionJackson
Asset

Sdiver- Yes, sir. Getting every bit, sir!
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 15:34   #42
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

No matter how bad things are, they could always be worse.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:37   #43
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Quote:
No matter how bad things are, they could always be worse.

TR
AMEN!!
Old 05-10-2005, 17:48   #44
alphamale

Sir Reaper, in response to my comment:

Quote:
Although I am in an aggressive mood. I'm going to find a gun range where I am this weekend and bet an XY out of his gun.
You stated / asked:
Quote:
I would remind you of the unsuitability of the term "gun".

"This is my rifle, this is my gun.

This is for fighting, and this is for fun!"

Did you mean handgun or pistol?
Therefore, here is:

Answer Part 1) (courtesy of someone who caught the reference)

From the movie Full Metal Jacket.
"This is my rifle! This is my gun! RECRUITS This
is for fighting! This is for fun!"

The rifle is a firearm.
The gun is not a firearm, it's for (late night) fun. Go impress TR.

Main Entry: hand·gun
Pronunciation: -"g&n
Function: noun
: a firearm (as a revolver or pistol) designed to be held and fired with one hand

Main Entry: pis·tol
Pronunciation: 'pis-t&l
Etymology: Middle French pistole, from German, from Middle High German pischulle, from Czech píst'ala, literally, pipe, fife; akin to Czech pistet to squeak
: a handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel; broadly :

Main Entry: re·volv·er
Pronunciation: ri-'väl-v&r, -'vol- also -'vä-v&r or -'vo-v&r
1 : one that revolves
2 : a handgun with a cylinder of several chambers brought successively into line with the barrel and discharged with the same hammer

By the definitions, a pistol and revolver are handguns. A pistol is not a revolver and vise versa.

Answer Part 2)

Therefore, to answer your question, my actual statement should have been: "... and bet an XY out of his handgun.

FrontSight