Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 12-22-2018, 19:05   #1
Tandem
Asset

Nabbing 18x While on Sand Hill

Hey guys, tons of awesome information here, have been training, and doing research for roughly two years on the processes and joining etc, but have seen mixed answers on this question.

Currently I am processing in, or trying to process into the Army, I was upfront about having taken ADHD medicine until my sophomore year of high school, thinking that I am 26 and graduated college without it, it should be no big deal, turns out I was wrong. This has now disqualified me from having airborne in my contract, thus disqualifying me from the 18x contract. In hindsight I probably should have just omitted it, however I am comfortable where I am but would like to explore possible options.

I was told the best route would be to take 11x and try to nab an op.40 or 18x while in basic, but I am not sure this is even feasible because I've seen mixed responses online. I was going to make a call to the SF recruiting station on Sand Hill but wasn't sure if that was appropriate so figured I would try to check here first.

I have also looked into exception to policy (ETP) waivers, I think i have a good case for the exception, however I know the Army may think differently. I've read that it has taken a lot for some people obtain ETP waivers, letters from members of congress etc.., so I wasn't sure how frequently, if at all, the Army hands these out.

One of the important factors about SF for me is the language training, I've considered going 35M getting the language training, doing the required 18 months at my first assignment there then going to selection. However I have heard great things about SOPC and that they prepare you quite well (tips and tricks etc) for selection which is why I would really like the 18x.

I appreciate the help gents.

All the best.
Tandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 20:24   #2
Tandem
Asset

Gentlemen, I Have gotten great advice from members of this board and finally go to MEPS next week to physical and sign on the dotted line.

Unfortunately I am unable to obtain an 18x, that being said I have decided to go the 11x route and try to pick up an 18x while on Sand Hill. In the end if I’m not able to pick up the 18x, I will be the best 11b/c I can and continue to train hard and attend selection when my time comes. I know there have been much better men than me to serve as infantrymen before transitioning into Special Forces, and I look forward to serving and becoming a better version of myself.
Old 04-08-2019, 20:17   #3
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Great attitude! Best of luck to you... and remember that no matter what happens, that you are one of the very few in this country that has raised his hand to serve. I salute you.

Tips and tricks?? Lol. One thing to remember is that there are plenty of us that never had the benefit of SOPC. Nor the benefit of yout**e or the internet. Very little to no G2. An interaction like this would have been an almost unbelievable thing! Now there are internet forums and books... That in reality, you don't need.... if you use your brain.

Run, Ruck,Swim, and think about what you need to do to get through the toughest Army obstacle course that you have ever experience... do this and you will be GTG.

Do the best that you can.

DOL!
Old 05-24-2019, 01:16   #4
Tandem
Asset

Recruiting Angst

Bit of an update - incredibly frustrating past month or so. Before I went to sign we found some part of my paperwork had expired, and what that essentially means is that my packet goes straight to the bottom of the pile at MEPS (recruiters words) to restart the pre-screen process. That being said that paperwork was good for 90 days, we’re now pushing past day 40 that the re-submitted paperwork has been up there.

When I first got word of the setback I was initially frustrated but figured, 30 more days of training never hurt anyone, but now my recruiter has not heard back and is essentially powerless in this situation (not a knock on him he is a great guy and has helped me a ton) but it seems there is absolutely no progress being made. A family member just told me ‘welcome to the Army, better get used to it’. I have the next 9 days off, so I will spend that time doing two a days, rucking my bag off, and doing some yoga/stretching and regain a bit of focus.

I can’t help but think I’m far from the only one going through this type of situation. That being said, not everyone looking to join the Army is as driven as the men on these boards, so it would be interesting to see the amount or % of recruits or contacts lost due to timeline issues.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:04   #5
iintc22
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem View Post
I can’t help but think I’m far from the only one going through this type of situation. That being said, not everyone looking to join the Army is as driven as the men on these boards, so it would be interesting to see the amount or % of recruits or contacts lost due to timeline issues.
You're not the only one going through this type of situation, I'm right here with you. Last year I re-enlisted and passed the hearing test at MEPS, but failed at 30th AG. I was medically discharged and barred from re-enlistment for six months. During those months my recruiter constantly attempted to track down my medical records (needed for a med waiver) they were sent to a company to be digitized and that company essentially told him that they lost them. So my six month bar was up as of March this year and we submitted a request to the National Archive in St. Louis. No progress was made at all until last week my recruiter tells me that he might have access to the paperwork he needs and we may not need the full medical records after all. So now it's June and we could've started this waiver process in March.

With your situation, it doesn't sound like there's much you can do to move things along. Be sure to constantly touch base with your recruiter, he might have your case on the back burner of his mind since the ball is now in MEPS' court. But a two minute phone call from you might prompt him to call up to MEPS to hound them a bit and get your packet moving.
iintc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 17:27   #6
Tandem
Asset

Had my heart yanked the other day, was finally able to sign. Signed an 18x, liasons at MEPS were pumped for me, recruiters were pumped, it was an awesome day. I got home and around three hours later I was called and told the contract wasn’t approved by component and I had to sign an 11x. Although this was initially what I thought I’d have to sign it still sucked a bit. I was suppose to leave in Jan with her the 18x but will now leave at the end of October with the 11x, I’ll be pounding the pavement and do 6 weeks of an eight week selection train up.

That being said, I’m thankful Im finally joining the Army. Either way I will try my best to speak with the SF liaisons on sand hill or volunteer for RASP and make the best out of it.

Thanks again for providing this resource.
Old 09-15-2019, 19:22   #7
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by iintc22 View Post
You're not the only one going through this type of situation, I'm right here with you. Last year I re-enlisted and passed the hearing test at MEPS, but failed at 30th AG. I was medically discharged and barred from re-enlistment for six months. During those months my recruiter constantly attempted to track down my medical records (needed for a med waiver) they were sent to a company to be digitized and that company essentially told him that they lost them. So my six month bar was up as of March this year and we submitted a request to the National Archive in St. Louis. No progress was made at all until last week my recruiter tells me that he might have access to the paperwork he needs and we may not need the full medical records after all. So now it's June and we could've started this waiver process in March.

With your situation, it doesn't sound like there's much you can do to move things along. Be sure to constantly touch base with your recruiter, he might have your case on the back burner of his mind since the ball is now in MEPS' court. But a two minute phone call from you might prompt him to call up to MEPS to hound them a bit and get your packet moving.
Hearing tests are finicky....you should know that from your prior service time but lets say your hearing is degraded can you function in a denied environment or a hide site where noise and light discipline are paramount, not to mention trying to communicate in a new language you will be taught where having solid concentration with good hearing will be critical to picking up the sounds in the new language.....I recommend that you sleep with earplugs in at least 2-3 times a week to allow your eardrums to rest and regain sensitivity
Old 03-14-2020, 16:48   #8
Tandem
Asset

I received a few PMs from others on this question on my luck of picking this up while on Sandhill. Currently on week 18 and on a Sandhill pass and figured this would be a great way to provide this information.

I was fortunately able to switch over to 18x while here. The liaison came down to our CTA asked for volunteers and came back a few hours later with the volunteer statement.

It was a super seamless process. As long as your GT is 110+ and your APFT is 270+ you will be in position to pick one up. The liaisons will usually come by your CTA around week(s) 13-15. They are incredibly helpful and very willing to provide any information, very professional. I kept my drill sergeants informed of my interest, enough for them to be aware, but not enough to annoy. Closed mouths don’t get fed, in my opinion.

I hope this helps a few of you guys having trouble picking up the 18x from your recruiter.

All the best!
Old 03-15-2020, 06:38   #9
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem View Post
Closed mouths don’t get fed, in my opinion.
Open Eye's keep arms and necks out of static lines also, keep your feet and knees together and good luck.

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote