Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > Mindset

Old 12-23-2009, 14:55   #46
HowardCohodas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Oh come on, the next thing you're going to say is that the former Mayor of Washington D.C., (the captial of the United States of America), is a crack addict and a convicted felon!!!
It could happen
Old 12-23-2009, 15:58   #47
Maytime
Guerrilla

I guess I have a question of semantics, but is displaying your firearm in your holster, with your hand on or off it, a form of brandishing? Such a situation may be where verbal warnings are not enough to diffuse, but lethal force is not yet needed or warranted.

I'm not sure if letting someone know that you have a weapon (and its position on your body) is wise, but if it's a legal way to diffuse a potential hostile situation, should it be used?
Old 12-23-2009, 19:56   #48
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Is anyone here informed as to the hiring standards of the DC Metro Police Department and their generally lax standards for officers, to include permissable arrest records?

TR
I could only find this from the late 90's.

You'll never guess who was Mayor at the time. Well, TS may be on the right track.

There's also a report on Deadly Force in DC. Here's the lead paragraph:

The District of Columbia's Metropolitan Police Department has shot and killed more people per resident in the 1990s than any other large American city police force.

Regarding the situation of the snowball fight: we're living in a crazy world. High schools, colleges, Post Offices, shopping malls, and highways (road rage) have all seen gunfire by wackos. My first thought was that no cop would pull his weapon because his vehicle was hit by some snowballs. My logic tells me that if he isn't a cop (my stereotype is that cops use verbal threats before going to the gun) then he's a wacko. He's angry, he has a weapon in his hand, and is thereby unpredictable. I say he is a threat.

Are there thoughts thwarting my threat thinking? Who brings a snowball to a gunfight anyway?

Here's the reality: Detective Baylor is a LEO who is authorized to carry in EVERY state.

Be safe.

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 20:09   #49
IrishYanksFan
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sten View Post
In DC I have no carry rights
Didn't Heller v. District of Columbia rule their gun laws unconstitutional, or did the DC City Council already replace them with something almost as harsh and technically within constitutional bounds?
Old 12-23-2009, 20:21   #50
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishYanksFan View Post
Didn't Heller v. District of Columbia rule their gun laws unconstitutional, or did the DC City Council already replace them with something almost as harsh and technically within constitutional bounds?
No.

You need to do a search for Heller and do some reading.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 23:16   #51
Defender968
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytime View Post
I guess I have a question of semantics, but is displaying your firearm in your holster, with your hand on or off it, a form of brandishing? Such a situation may be where verbal warnings are not? enough to diffuse, but lethal force is not yet needed or warranted.?
Are you speaking of an LEO doing this or you as a private citizen/CCW?

I'm assuming you mean as a private citizen, it would depend on the state, but it could be.

Quote:
I'm not sure if letting someone know that you have a weapon (and its position on your body) is wise, but if it's a legal way to diffuse a potential hostile situation, should it be used?
Ok first letting anyone know you're carrying especially a threat is a very, very, very bad idea, second showing a weapon is a nearly sure fired way to escalate, not diffuse a situation, do not under any circumstances show a weapon in order to try to bring calm to a heated situation it will not have the effect you want, and you will likely go to jail or end up in a gun fight.
Defender968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:11   #52
Maytime
Guerrilla

Thanks for the input Defender, I appreciate it.
Old 12-29-2009, 00:55   #53
dr. mabuse
Guerrilla Chief

Definitely depends on the state you're in.

If you can talk your way out, do it.

Don't EVER be in a position where an LEO can determine that you escalated a situation so you could wave your gun around.

Generally, you display/present a firearm only if it is legally appropriate to shoot anyway.
"The difference is that back then, we had the intestinal fortitude to do what we needed to in order to preserve our territorial sovereignty and to protect the citizens of this great country, and today, we do not." TR

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke
dr. mabuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:42   #54
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I guess I have a question of semantics, but is displaying your firearm in your holster, with your hand on or off it, a form of brandishing? Such a situation may be where verbal warnings are not enough to diffuse, but lethal force is not yet needed or warranted.

I'm not a Cop anymore. But when I was. If I see a Weapon on you. I am drawing down on you. You will get one warning. If you make one hesitant move or don't obey my commands immediately. You will most likely get shot. This is the mentality of most Cops. Cops are told to do this every day in their roll calls.
Concealed carry means just that. You carry for your protection. Only if your life is threatened. Your job is not to defuse arguments. Or get involved in other peoples arguments or fights. Pull it out in any other situation and you become the threat.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:43   #55
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
You will most likely get shot. This is the mentality of most Cops. Cops are told to do this every day in their roll calls.
Concealed carry means just that. You carry for your protection. Only if your life is threatened.
With regards to the concept of 'concealed' carry:

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, There are states like Virginia in which you may not carry concealed all the time. If you enter into a restaurant that serves alcohol, you must uncover the weapon and expose it only to cover it again upon leaving (strange, I know....).
Other states like Indiana, Vermont (no defined carry laws at all), and Alaska (I believe) permit open carry. Now, tactically speaking, I believe that concealed is the best way to carry so that you are not broadcasting to the world to include any potential threats.
But, in places like Virginia, that's not always possible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:51   #56
Sten
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
I'm not a Cop anymore. But when I was. If I see a Weapon on you. I am drawing down on you. You will get one warning. If you make one hesitant move or don't obey my commands immediately. You will most likely get shot. This is the mentality of most Cops. Cops are told to do this every day in their roll calls.
Concealed carry means just that. You carry for your protection. Only if your life is threatened. Your job is not to defuse arguments. Or get involved in other peoples arguments or fights. Pull it out in any other situation and you become the threat.
Great advise, thank you.

- Team Sergeant

"It is a right. If they screw it up, you take it away from that individual. Not the group and not because you think you are smarter than they are."

- NousDefionsDoc
Sten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 15:22   #57
ChickenMcFuggit
Asset

For non-law enforcement

Most advice on this thread is right on the money IMHO. Good train of thought is, if you can articulate the threat you felt and why, you're in the right ball park self defense wise. LEO's develop a mind set that keeps us on condition yellow most of the time and stands us in good stead when bad things happen to good people. A book I once read might help those of you who don't face threats daily. I reccommend it highly to everyone. Its focus is on mind set and that is half the battle.

http://www.selfdefenseresource.com/g...on-defense.php
"People think it's an obsession. A compulsion. As if there were an irresistible impulse to act. It's never been like that. I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either."
Batman

"Today we have done what we had to do. They counted on America to be passive. They counted wrong."
Ronald Regan
ChickenMcFuggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:51   #58
Arctic
Asset

This is a very well put together thread. The only thing I think was missed was the inclusion of lawyers in the after action. Regardless of your individual rights to carry and the state you live in; as soon as you draw a weapon and fire it in a public space or residence you need a lawyer. You should not talk to the police or anyone regardless of how clean and well defined the shoot was without an attorney. You need to know your Miranda rights; they can’t force you to talk without an attorney. It doesn’t matter if the guy you shot was a meth head raping your mother with a knife to her throat, it is never about what the situation was but what it can be made to be. Consider also that almost everyone on earth has a relative that can come after you in civil court and if they don’t you always have to worry about the DA.

My family has been defending “LEO’s” in California for the last 33 years, my father being a vet turned LEO turned lawyer its one of the things he enjoys most. (Tho he sends lesser mortals to deal with the shots fired at 3 in the morning cases now.)

There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy.
- George Washington, 1780

Last edited by Arctic; 01-14-2010 at 06:54.
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:06   #59
HowardCohodas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
This is a very well put together thread. The only thing I think was missed was the inclusion of lawyers in the after action. Regardless of your individual rights to carry and the state you live in; as soon as you draw a weapon and fire it in a public space or residence you need a lawyer. You should not talk to the police or anyone regardless of how clean and well defined the shoot was without an attorney. You need to know your Miranda rights; they can’t force you to talk without an attorney. It doesn’t matter if the guy you shot was a meth head raping your mother with a knife to her throat, it is never about what the situation was but what it can be made to be. Consider also that almost everyone on earth has a relative that can come after you in civil court and if they don’t you always have to worry about the DA.
As you wish.

Don't Talk to the Police - Part 1
Don't Talk to the Police - Part 2

I show at least part one in the CCW classes I teach.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:38   #60
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Howard, do you ever teach the "castle doctrine", or is that relevant in your jurisdiction?

FWIW, there is a good reason to not discuss matters until you have talked with an attorney(besides the obvious). In court, rules of evidence are used to either admit or deny the introduction of evidence to the court/jury, whether statements, objects, or other. Hearsay is defined as "an out-of-court statement, made by a person, NOT A PARTY, used to prove the truth of the matter asserted. An admission, on the other hand, is an out-of-court statement made by a party(of course used to prove a matter relevant at trial).

So, when Jack Webb was telling people "you have the right to remain silent, what you say can and will be used against you in a court of law", he was essentially explaining to them that if they are criminally charged, they become a "party" and anything they say, at any relevant time, becomes admissible. The conversation about whether the Miranda warnings are constitutionally proper I will save for a later time, but essentially a failure of a policeman to properly Miranda-ize a criminal defendant often forces a court to throw out relevant admissions made by a criminal defendant.

On the other hand, an out-of-court statement made by a person who is not a party (person not charged or sued) is, generally, hearsay, and inadmissible unless it falls within a few narrow exceptions.

In sum---if you experience an instance where you might be charged or sued, shut up. If you are just a witness, help the cops.

My apologies for the hip-pocket evidence class.
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote