Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > Mindset

Old 08-16-2008, 10:15   #1
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

2nd Amendment

Since this is my mind set,I've decided to pass this on.
"When a government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take everything you have"..........Thomas Jefferson

2nd Amendment!
The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. (waiting for attack)

The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

3. I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him 'Why do you carry a 45?' The Ranger responded, 'Because they don't make a 46.'

6. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm.
'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?'
'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

7. Beware the man who only has one gun. HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

But wait, there's more!

I was once asked by a lady visiting if I had a gun in the house. I said I did.
She said 'Well I certainly hope it isn't loaded!'
To which I said, of course it is loaded, can't work without bullets!'
She then asked, 'Are you that afraid of someone evil coming into your house?'
My reply was, 'No not at all. I am not afraid of the house catching fire either, but I have fire extinguishers around, and they are all loaded too.'
To which I'll add, having a gun in the house that isn't loaded is like having a car in the garage without gas in the tank.

I'm a firm believer of the 2nd Amendment!
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 18:15   #2
Lothar
Auxiliary

AMEN

AMEN! And pass the ammunition.

We must protect our second amendment rights. If we don't then who will? Certainly not a liberal/leftist media who believes that guns are evil. Are guns for everyone? No. That is the beauty of our constitution. It assures us certain inalienable rights that we can enjoy as long as our rights do not prevent others from enjoying their rights.
Old 08-17-2008, 19:23   #3
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

I lived in the Denver, CO area back in the '88-89 time frame when some nut-case went on a rampage. It ended with him "holed up" in a condo and Arapahoe County deputies, and the sheriff himself, surrounding him. A deputy got shot at the door, and the sherriff drove an SUV through a fence to extricate him. Several people were killed or wounded during the day, which started with the "perp" breaking into a house to steal a car. There was a 911 call from the homeowner, in which the bad guy can be heard breaking into her house over several minutes as she waited for the arrival of the police. Had she had a weapon she knew how to use, all of the day's drama would have ended right there. Alas, she did not.
Old 08-17-2008, 20:22   #4
Paslode
Area Commander

AMEN to that!

"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

-Samuel Adams

"We have four boxes used to guarantee our liberty: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box."

-Unknown

"Our safety, our liberty depends on preserving the Constitution of the United States as our fathers made it inviolate. We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution"

-Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-17-2008, 20:30   #5
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

"The 2nd amendment guarantees that the people at large will retain the means to quash any rebellion which may come from their elected/appointed servants."
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:37   #6
Onuma
SF Candidate

"The Second Amendment guarantees the rest." This is why it is so crucial that we uphold it to its fullest.

That being said, I could go for some trigger time. Can't wait to build on my SEI M14 receiver!
Old 09-22-2008, 15:00   #7
BlackDragon0311
Asset

amen

God bless the 2nd amendment. I cant recall her name, but back home in Texas we had a Texas congresswoman who helped in getting the concealed carry law passed...woman had her parents shot infront of her in a denny's by a former employee...she didnt have her gun on her at the time because of not wanting any trouble with the cops. After that she became one of THE biggest pro-gun advocates in the state....we need someone like that in every state legislature, the house, the senate, and in the white house. Remember, guns dont kill people, people kill people :P

~JohnnyBoy

Cicero
BlackDragon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 17:22   #8
Abu Jack
Quiet Professional

Quote:
3. I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
The only person responsible for protecting my family is me. So, if the worst case is an individual threatening my family with a gun, I'll have one too... and make the effort to ensure I am ready to use it if needed.
Abu Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 17:31   #9
morolen
Auxiliary

Admittedly the attribution of the quotes to their prospective owners can be called into question but regardless.

"Exitus Acta Probat"- Dictum Vindicare
morolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 17:36   #10
Debo
Quiet Professional

Whenever I am asked why I need "x" (big scary rifle gun), I just reply that it is the Bill of Rights, not the Bill of Needs.

D.
Debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 18:23   #11
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

morolen,

I like it!!

Never would have thought of Gandhi.

RF 1
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 14:47   #12
Penn
Area Commander

One of the definitive statements ever written with regards to the second amendment was penned by Sanford Levinson, a Professor of law at the University of Texas Law School. A self admitted card carrying member of ACLU, Professor Levinson presents an argument based in historical reason, defining if you will, what the founders meant by the words “Militia,” and the “right to bear arms” and finally, the 2nd amendments place in society today.

I found it to be enlightening and find myself rereading the essay often.

The Article can be found here:
http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/embar.html

Sanford V Levinson
W. St. John Garwood and W. St. John Garwood, Jr. Centennial Chair
Professor of Government

JD 1973, Stanford
PhD 1969, Harvard
AB 1962, Duke University

Sanford Levinson, who holds the W. St. John Garwood and W. St. John Garwood, Jr. Centennial Chair in Law, joined the University of Texas Law School in 1980. Previously a member of the Department of Politics at Princeton University, he is also a Professor in the Department of Government at the University of Texas. The author of over 250 articles and book reviews in professional and popular journals, Levinson is also the author of four books: Constitutional Faith (1988, winner of the Scribes Award); Written in Stone: Public Monuments in Changing Societies (1998); Wrestling With Diversity (2003); and, most recently, Our Undemocratic Constitution: Where the Constitution Goes Wrong (and How We the People Can Correct It)(2006). His edited or co-edited books include a leading constitutional law casebook, Processes of Constitutional Decisionmaking (5th ed. 2006, with Paul Brest, Jack Balkin, Akhil Amar, and Reva Siegel); Reading Law and Literature: A Hermeneutic Reader (1988, with Steven Mallioux); Responding to Imperfection: The Theory and Practice of Constitutional Amendment (1995); Constitutional Stupidities, Constitutional Tragedies (1998, with William Eskridge); Legal Canons (2000, with Jack Balkin); The Louisiana Purchase and American Expansion (2005, with Batholomew Sparrow); and Torture: A Collection (2004, revised paperback edition, 2006), which includes reflections on the morality, law, and politics of torture from a variety of disciplinary perspectives. He has taught a course on "Torture, Law, and Lawyers" at the Harvard Law School. He is also a regular participant on the popular blog, Balkinization.
He has visited at the Boston University, Georgetown, Harvard, New York University, and Yale law schools, as well as the law faculties at the University of Paris II, Central European University in Budapest, and the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. He is also affiliated with the Shalom Hartman Institute of Jewish Philosophy in Jerusalem. A member of the American Law Institute, Levinson was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2001. He is married to Cynthia Y. Levinson, a writer of children's literature, and has two children, Meira, a member of the faculty at the Harvard Graduate School of Education (after teaching in the Atlanta and Boston public school systems), and Rachel, a lawyer with the American Association of University Professors in Washington, D.C.

Last edited by Penn; 11-01-2008 at 14:58.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 16:14   #13
Paslode
Area Commander

'NRA could be brought to understand the real fear that the currently almost uncontrolled system of gun ownership sparks in the minds of many whom they casually dismiss as "bleeding-heart liberals."? '

Jesus, it takes more info to get a gun or a library card than it does too vote, and as we can tell voting is pretty much un-controlled. So what's more dangerous without controls a gun or voting? As for the fear instilled bleeding heart liberals, you fear what you don't know or understand....go visit your local gun range and take some training, go through the process of purchase and then then you can have educated opinion fo the 2nd and the right to carry.
Old 11-01-2008, 16:41   #14
Penn
Area Commander

I understand your rant. However, what the essay explores is the right to own based in historical fact and reference. It is in my opinion, the benchmark for all arguments concerning those rights.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 17:15   #15
Paslode
Area Commander

It was a good post Penn and I hear what your saying.

As long I as can remember 'The People' were guaranteed the right to have and carry guns, they taught us that in school. My only issue/concern is that you get a bunch of lawyers together and they can pervert/subvert just about anything to suit their needs or wishes.

And in the end the People should make that decision, not lawyers/politicans catering to lobbies and special interests.