Old 05-06-2012, 13:31   #1
Rosie
Asset

CA to SF

Gentlemen,

BLUF: am I eligible to go to SFAS as a Civil Affairs officer?

Context: I commissioned last year, and I'm a Signal Officer in a Civil Affairs battalion. They are going to send me to the CAQC when I'm eligible, they said sometime soon after I get promoted to 1LT.

I thought going into Civil Affairs would be a good move for me. I like the Civil Affairs mission, I speak Arabic and I figure there would be a lot of chances for missions where I would get to use it, and there's an excellent chance to get into Active Duty through Civil Affairs. The gorilla in the room is that I commissioned into the Reserves because I was pretty low on the ROTC OML.

I admit this to put my question into the proper context. I have always wanted to be in Special Forces but my poor performance in college kept me from AD, and people have been telling me to not even keep SF as a goal. I'm not going to accept discouragement, but from a policy perspective can I try out for Special Forces if I have already reclassed to Civil Affairs? If not, can I go to SFAS as an Army Reservist? Final question, can a 2LT in the Reserves, hypothetically of course, resign his commission and enlist as an 18X?

Thank you for your time.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:24   #2
rsmith569
Asset

Google is your friend
rsmith569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:49   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Gentlemen,

BLUF: am I eligible to go to SFAS as a Civil Affairs officer?
Rosie,,

You have to many questions, you're rambling, you seem to be in a transient state, and need to keep your eyes the the 25yd target.

When you have completed your current commitment,, find a local SF unit recruiter to talk options. Until then be the best CA butter bar in your unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMITH569
Google is your friend
Mr Smith, Stay in your lane.

The QP's will give all the encouragement needed.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:50   #4
head
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith569 View Post
Google is your friend
Maybe you can search for something to contribute.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:56   #5
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

If we knew where Rosie is from we might be able to direct him,but I don't know where "Yup" is,do you?.......

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 16:02   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

You are getting the cart in front of the horse, as JJ said.

You are going to have to find a NG SF unit who will accept you into their program, or try to get SF Branch Officer Assessions to let you have an AD slot to SFAS at the proper time. I think your odds are a lot better with the former.

Meanwhile, stop job hunting before you have complete a year as a SigO.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 15:52   #7
fasteddie565
Quiet Professional

As an officer, you have a commitment to the Army based upon your contractual agreement signed while a cadet. You have a moral and ethical obligation strapped to your legal obligation.

First, learn and strive to be the best Signal officer you can be.

Second, you will have a mission and soldiers in your charge. These are your priorities. I know the officer corps in the USAR / NG does not set a good example for this, however, make it your priority.

Third, you just got done stating that you could not get on AD because you half stepped through college. 18A is no place for a half stepper, I am not sure you have what it takes. How do we know that you will not get to an SF unit, find out its not all COD BO promised it to be and then you decide to leave that unit as well?

From reading on the Internet, which I read in its entirety daily, being SF is not about what the team can do for you, its about what you can do for the team.

As a famous team Sergeant once said, "I can't be no plainer than that."
fasteddie565 is offline   Reply With Quote