Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 08-01-2012, 15:07   #121
plato
Guerrilla

Oopsed.

Last edited by plato; 08-01-2012 at 15:22.
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 17:56   #122
dennisw
Area Commander

Eagle scouts

Michael Malone: A Century of Eagle Scouts
The Eagles' service project is the single greatest youth-service initiative in history, and one that has touched every community in America in an important way.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...=ITP_opinion_0

Great editorial in the WSJ today about the impact Eagle Scouts have had on America and the impact on the scouts themselves.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:55   #123
Quaker
Asset

I was in Civil Air Partol (CAP)--Air Force boy scouts, essentially. Not that I'm special forces but it helped me a lot. Like others have said, I grew up in that program. Joined when I was 12 and was active up until enlisting at 19. Our CAP squadron focused on wilderness search and rescue / survival. They taught me everything from rappelling, rope rescue, hiking, building shelters, fire craft, etc. IMO, CAP kind of sucks unless you are lucky enough to go to Hawk Mt. It is a search and rescue school where most of the above is taught by fellow members.

Even though I'm young, I've been treated like an equal pretty much since day one of arriving at my unit. Yeah, I'm not the best at sports or xbox since I devoted most of my time to CAP as a kid but that choice is paying dividends now.
Quaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:30   #124
Inflexible Six
Guerrilla

I was in Boy Scouts and later Sea Explorers. Both experiences have served me well not only in the military but throughout my life.

I knew my knots and splices, rope bridging, shelter-making, traps, small boat handling and sailing, etc long before I signed up with Uncle Sam. But I have to say I learned a lot of field craft on my own, trial and error, just being in the woods a lot as a kid. I was hunting squirrels every afternoon instead of doing homework.
Inflexible Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:10   #125
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I was in Civil Air Partol (CAP)--Air Force boy scouts, essentially. Not that I'm special forces but it helped me a lot. .
Since you weren't in Boy Scouts it didn't help you. Civil Air Patrol is not Air Force Boy Scouts. No you are not Special Forces Qualified, and Special Forces is capitalzed (so is Boy Scouts). You could start a thread Civil Air Patrol and how it has helped you in the military. Good Luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflexible Six View Post
I was hunting squirrels every afternoon instead of doing homework.
A cautionary tale

Last edited by Dozer523; 08-08-2012 at 10:12.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:35   #126
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
One question I have about US Scouts is:

Was there/is there any patches/badges issued for little more than just showing up?
Plenty. There are close to 130 merit badges, with some taking a day or less to complete if you do the minimum required (e.g., Fingerprinting, Art, Traffic Safety), and others taking at least 3 months (Personal Fitness, Personal Management, Family Life). Some merit badges have pretty strenuous standards; for example, Rifle Shooting requires the Scout to shoot 5 5-shot groups the size of a US quarter at 50 ft. Cycling merit badge includes a progressive riding requirement that culminates in a 50 mile bike ride, and a total of 150 miles of riding overall.

Besides merit badges, there are other awards, such as Mile Swim (pretty much what it sounds like), 50-Miler afoot/afloat, and the various Hornaday conservation awards that require a fair number of nature-related merit badges and planning and conducting from 1 - 3 large scope group conservation projects.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:58   #127
Inflexible Six
Guerrilla

Quote:
A cautionary tale
Yes sir, indeed...
Inflexible Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 16:20   #128
Quaker
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Since you weren't in Boy Scouts it didn't help you. Civil Air Patrol is not Air Force Boy Scouts. No you are not Special Forces Qualified, and Special Forces is capitalzed (so is Boy Scouts). You could start a thread Civil Air Patrol and how it has helped you in the military. Good Luck.
A cautionary tale
Actually I was in the Boy Scouts. I assumed no one would mind if I shared my experience with a similar organization--that was my first mistake. After all, I'm sure some of you have never heard of CAP. I think you meant capitalized.. You are correct, I am not Special Forces qualified which I stated in my post. Honestly, it seems like a waste of space to start a thread for BSA, CAP, the Sea Cadets, etc. Again, sorry for rocking the boat. I'm not accustom to such stringent rules in regard to posting. After all, we all deviate from the thread now and then. I will be more careful next time to follow the thread title to the letter (and double check my capitalization).

Last edited by Quaker; 08-08-2012 at 17:20.
Quaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 17:15   #129
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Plenty. There are close to 130 merit badges, with some taking a day or less to complete if you do the minimum required (e.g., Fingerprinting, Art, Traffic Safety), and others taking at least 3 months (Personal Fitness, Personal Management, Family Life). Some merit badges have pretty strenuous standards; for example, Rifle Shooting requires the Scout to shoot 5 5-shot groups the size of a US quarter at 50 ft. Cycling merit badge includes a progressive riding requirement that culminates in a 50 mile bike ride, and a total of 150 miles of riding overall.

Besides merit badges, there are other awards, such as Mile Swim (pretty much what it sounds like), 50-Miler afoot/afloat, and the various Hornaday conservation awards that require a fair number of nature-related merit badges and planning and conducting from 1 - 3 large scope group conservation projects.
Cheers!

It's valuable for us to get a sense of how the program works in the US compared to our kids in NZ Scouts.

I don't have a problem with a few easy badges or ones for just showing up.....but we're already trying to get our two in the proper mindset that nothing worth having is easy. We've already asked the question of which badge they have do they like the best, fortunately the answer has been the one they had to actually work hard for.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 21:53   #130
Razor
Quiet Professional

Be careful Quaker--continued use of the thinly veiled passive-aggressive response can drastically shorten your stay here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
Actually I was in the Boy Scouts. I assumed no one would mind if I shared my experience with a similar organization--that was my first mistake. After all, I'm sure some of you have never heard of CAP. I think you meant capitalized.. You are correct, I am not Special Forces qualified which I stated in my post. Honestly, it seems like a waste of space to start a thread for BSA, CAP, the Sea Cadets, etc. Again, sorry for rocking the boat. I'm not accustom to such stringent rules in regard to posting. After all, we all deviate from the thread now and then. I will be more careful next time to follow the thread title to the letter (and double check my capitalization).
Old 08-09-2012, 11:31   #131
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Be careful Quaker--continued use of the thinly veiled passive-aggressive response can drastically shorten your stay here.
I like him. I might, even, adopt him.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:12   #132
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
I like him. I might, even, adopt him.
...and hug him and pet him and squeeze him and call him George?
Old 08-09-2012, 14:17   #133
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
...and hug him and pet him and squeeze him and call him George?
It's happened before. But this time I'll be careful.
Old 08-09-2012, 17:43   #134
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Eagle Scouts:

I became an Eagle Scout in August 1954, 10 years later I was a medic on ODA-333 in Camp Plei Mrong II CTZ Pleiku Province, Vietnam. Scouting is a brotherhood that can teach an individual a lot of skills. Scouting is more than earning merit badges; Just like Special Forces is more than a Tab and a Green Beret.
Regard's, TK
Old 09-10-2014, 18:48   #135
2018commo
Quiet Professional

Philmont

The next generation, my son and Eagle Scout candidate at Philmont last month.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.6 KB, 32 views)

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote