Old 05-27-2013, 05:07   #1
Shootist
Asset

Personal Electronics in SF Training

Hi all,

I have a question about… wait for it… phones in SFAS and the Q Course.

I've been working overseas for a few years but will be coming home in 2 weeks to enlist and hopefully go to SFAS. I've loved this forum and other sites/books, but one thing I haven't been able to get any info on (even using the search function here ) is regulations regarding personal phones/computers during the SF Training Pipeline. Having been in the bush for a while out here, I'm no stranger to being off the grid. That being said, I would like to sign a contract with a mobile provider when I get home, but if I'll be unable to use that phone for more than 6 months during training, it's not worth it to me.

I fully expect that personal electronics/phones are not allowed in SFAS, but what about during the Q Course and on the job? It would be good to get some info on this… hope I posted this in the right forum.

Thanks,

Shootist
Old 05-27-2013, 05:21   #2
Pete
Quiet Professional

You are never

You are never "in the woods" for six months while in the Q course.

While off duty and at Ft Bragg you are free to use whatever you want.

While in class at Ft Bragg there will be stated restrictions on what can be used - or in your possession.

While in the field there will be further restrictions on electronic devices.

Follow the given requirements at each phase. They have their reasons - you should be able to figure out why - follow the packing lists and rules, you'll be fine. Try and cheat and get caught - Oh, well.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:36   #3
Scimitar
Area Commander

From memory Verizon has a pretty reasonable "vacation" plan, and I believe they're pretty flexible for mil folk.

I know I went on a 6 month "vacation" from my account when overseas, and when I had to stay longer, I was able to extend the break.

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying

Last edited by Scimitar; 05-27-2013 at 13:36.
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:51   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

The question is moot until you have been selected and PCS for the SFQC.

I wouldn't worry about it till then.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 13:29   #5
Shootist
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
The question is moot until you have been selected and PCS for the SFQC.
TR
Understood - just trying to be as prepared as possible, and for me saving a few hundred dollars between arriving stateside and shipping out could make a big difference in my ability to train and study, since I've been working off savings out here and don't have any sort of salary.

@Pete, thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

@Scimitar, that sounds great! I was actually looking at Verizon just today. I used one of their overseas relocation plans before, where they give you a cheap phone and you FedEx/DHL it back to them after 6 weeks. Buuut... the phone sustained fatal water damage while riding with me in a 4x4 that got stuck in the middle of a river crossing. I guess just "Africa" isn't exactly covered in their returns policy.

Last edited by Shootist; 05-27-2013 at 13:35.
Shootist is offline   Reply With Quote