Gun Pilot

Razor:

Great post:

Terry
Old 01-27-2004, 20:44   #17
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Well done
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 22:58   #18
lrd
Area Commander

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/

This site was recommended to me by a friend I hike with. The content is based on U.S. Army Field Manual 21-76.

In spite of the fact that they sell Ranger Rick's "Special Ops Survival Necklace," I've found the site to be a good resource.
lrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 13:25   #19
Razor
Quiet Professional

Anyone have a good source for potassium permanganate crystals in quantities less than a quarter pound?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 23:35   #20
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
Good job, Luke!!

"Panel Marker, Survival, Aviation Personnel"

36"x36" Blaze Orange signal panel on a very fine silk or rayon type material, compresses down to about the size of a golf ball in its packaging. VERY visible, and VERY small when packed. Could probably fit in a film can or stow loose over everything else to minimize rattles.

Beats the heck out of a VS-17 Panel for personal survival use.

NDD, just kidding, and wondering where to get them and how much. But if you do start up the sweatshop idea, I want in!

"Built for Survival by People Practicing it Everyday!"

TR
If you any of guys run across a 10th Group guy that happens to leave one or two of these laying around...Feel free to confiscate unsecure equiment and send it this way for safe keeping.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 03-07-2004, 02:25   #21
BadMuther
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Razor
Anyone have a good source for potassium permanganate crystals in quantities less than a quarter pound?
I was just in a store the other day that had a shitload.......I'll remember which one and get back to you!
Old 03-07-2004, 08:22   #22
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
If you any of guys run across a 10th Group guy that happens to leave one or two of these laying around...Feel free to confiscate unsecure equiment and send it this way for safe keeping.
Are you in need, my 754/756 brother?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:48   #23
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Always Boss. I just checked, their 550 cord and 100 MPH tape is local. Its 549 cord and 99 MPH tape. LOL

"Situation desperate, all surrounded, am attacking. Out"
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 03-24-2004, 20:52   #24
Razor
Quiet Professional

New information for an old thread. It seems that Doug Ritter from www.equipped.com teamed up with the folks from Adventure Medical Kits to create a basic, pocket-sized survival kits that is commercially available. Its called the Pocket Survival Pack, and contains some very basic but essential items of very good quality. It supposedly weighs just under 4oz. and is contained in the same heavy-duty ziplock bag that AMK's pocket kits use. I've only found one source for it so far:

http://www.aeromedix.com/index.php?_...b29bb49668c9e5

Alone, its a bare bones kit, but with some user-added items (meds, iodine tablets, matches, 550, maybe a better outer container) its the base for an excellent pocket survival kit. The price seems a bit high at first, but when you consider the cost of buying some of these items separately (Starflash mirror: $6, decent compass: $6, Fox40 whistle: probably $5, Spark-Lite: $8, Fresnel lens: $2), you can see that its a pretty good deal.

Just wanted to keep everyone updated.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:19   #25
gagners
Asshat 6

I know it's a necro-post, but:

Panel, Marker (the silky aviation one, not VS-17)
NSN: 8345-00-140-4232
$3.60 each
Class 2
Expendable

Ordered through normal supply channels. It's a great item.

Last edited by gagners; 01-06-2009 at 12:26.
gagners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:24   #26
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagners View Post
I know it's a necro-post, but:

NSN: 8345-00-140-4232
$3.60 each
Class 2
Expendable

Ordered through normal supply channels. It's a great item.

Panel Marker?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:30   #27
gagners
Asshat 6

Roger sir. Edited above post to add nomenclature.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:33   #28
MAB32

Razor,

You can get that item from your nearest household water purification store. It shouldn't be that hard to obtain from them and also should be a cheap item. Remember my experiments show around here that the temperature needs to be above 60+ degrees for the chain reaction to work.
Old 01-08-2009, 20:20   #29
Monsoon65
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
IRT a question about the uses of the signal panel, here is one of them (and the requisite "Glint Tape" to keep Spectre off your ass.

An excellent tip from the recon guys, and this panel breathes much better than the VS-17.

TR

That looks familiar! When I was on active duty and wore BDUs all the time, I had a piece of orange cloth sewn into my patrol cap when I was home on leave. Ain't moms great?
With no vain sighs for moments gone
Monsoon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 14:21   #30
Joe Hawkins
Asset

This is the survival tin i use alongside one i made myself, im a keen fisherman and i find the fishing kits in survival kits poor to be honest , the hooks are blunt as coat hangers compared to a packet of chemically sharpened hooks bought from a fishing tackle shop, just my 2ps worth

http://www.bestglide.com/milsurvtin_info.html