Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 05-13-2014, 13:53   #1
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Eduardo Jany legit?

Being from Florida, I keep up with local stuff and came across this: LINK

Seems a little shady. Democrat candidate not living in the district for which he is running with embellished education claims on resume.

The article mentions he is prior Army SF that went Marine Corps Reserve Officer and police officer.

Quote:
In the three decades since he joined the Army, Jany has bounced between Reserve and active military duty, first with the Army, where he received special forces training and eventually became a Green Beret. Then he transferred to the Marines, climbing the rungs of leadership. Jany is retiring from the Marine Corps Reserve by this summer.

His military career includes some of the most prestigious assignments open to service members, including a stint at the Marine Command and Staff College and command of the Marine Anti-Terrorism Battalion. He came to Florida in 2009 and was assigned to Special Operations Central at MacDill Air Force Base.
Jany, a married father of two, also has worked as a police officer in between active military stints starting in Orlando in 1989, then Minnesota and Washington state, where he rose to the rank of captain. He has more than 20 years of police experience.

In Washington, Jany was accidentally shot in the arm and hand by another officer during a raid in which a violent felon was shot and killed.

The shooting was ruled justified after an inquest.

Jany said he decided about 10 years ago that he wanted to complete his degree. He said Marine Corps educational advisers suggested Madison as an appropriate distance-learning school.

"If it was good enough for the Marine Corps," Jany said, "it was good enough for me."

Madison, located in Mississippi, is not accredited by any legitimate authority and essentially sells degrees, diploma mill experts say. School officials did not return a message seeking comment.

The Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation lists Madison on its "nonapproved entities list," which means it does not meet state educational standards.
So is this guy receiving a political hatchet job for an education technicality or there fire under the smoke? I'm inclined to think that he wouldn't drop out so quickly if there wasn't merit in the accusations.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 05-13-2014 at 14:09.
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 14:01   #2
PRB
Quiet Professional

In Washington, Jany was accidentally shot in the arm and hand by another officer during a raid in which a violent felon was shot and killed.

The shooting was ruled justified after an inquest.

So shooting Jany was justified.....obviously he didn't practice proper 'don't shoot me I'm not the perp' training.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 14:05   #3
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Being from Florida, I keep up with local stuff and came across this: LINK

Seems a little shady. Democrat candidate not living in the district for which he is running with embellished education claims on resume.

The article mentions he is prior Army SF that went Marine Corps Reserve Officer and police officer.

So is this guy receiving a political hatchet job for an education technicality or there fire under the smoke?
"In Washington, Jany was accidentally shot in the arm and hand by another officer during a raid in which a violent felon was shot and killed.

The shooting was ruled justified after an inquest."

So, I guess he deserved to be shot?
Old 05-13-2014, 17:09   #4
Beef
Quiet Professional

He does sound fishy...... I lived most of my life in Mississippi and have never heard of a Madison College/University, ever. And I'll bet that I can name most of the legit ones, including CC/JUCOs.

As far as the SF to USMC, done that. But I'll bet he never attended Command and General Staff, or if he did, it was as coffee boy.

Maybe the other officer had some extra rounds after killing the felon.
Force Recon Assn #2100
2d Recon Bn Assn Life Member

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

"So you have enemies. Good. You must have stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Winston S. Churchill
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 18:49   #5
PRB
Quiet Professional

Rough day when your partner shoots you....twice
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:48   #6
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

I am with Beef, having been a Mississippi resident most of my life, I have not heard of Madison College either. I too have heard of pretty much every college in Mississippi, even the historically black ones.
TrapperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:08   #7
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Madison University : LINK....Yep, that is all there is for a website now.

More context: LINK

I bet they are shutting down...I find it unlikely that he did not know the accreditation status of the 'university' and took the easiest path to commission and only the Marine Corps Reserve would commission him.

So did this guy serve as SF?

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 05-14-2014 at 08:11.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:44   #8
rubberneck
Area Commander

According to this bio he also completed a senior executive course Harvard's Kennedy School of Government, as well as the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I just can't picture either school accepting a student for graduate studies from a non-accredited school. If this gentleman is real his background is really impressive. If not....

http://lawenforcementanddefenseservices.com/team/
rubberneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:53   #9
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

The Harvard program is not a degree. It seems to be a 2 week program: LINK

Quote:
OVERVIEW

A career in the upper echelons of the national and international security community requires effective interaction among military officers, senior civilians, political appointees, Congress, the media, leaders of industry, and international organizations. It is crucial for their success to understand and appreciate the roles of others in the broader environment in which policy is made.

The program provides a setting for senior executives to deepen their understanding of current security issues, exercise their evaluation and decision-making skills in a group of their peers, and contribute their own ideas and perspectives.
It appears he holds no accredited degree.

I ask if he actually served in SF because all his bios mention either earning his Green Beret, tab, etc, there is no mention of service with SF teams or Groups. while he mentions more specifics from his Marine Corps units.

Things he says in the Tampa Times article are alarming without more context:

Quote:
"I did a stupid thing," he said. "I went on active duty and ended up spending more time with the Army rather than going back to school to finish."
Going on active duty was stupid?

Quote:
In 2004, Jany earned a Bronze Star in Yemen, records show. Jany declined to discuss details of the service that earned him the medal, saying it involved a classified operation.
I wonder if the citation is available for review. No mention of "V"....

Quote:
Jany said his Madison degree "was good enough" for the Harvard University Kennedy School of Government, where he attended the senior executives fellows program in 2013.

A brochure for the four-week program, which teaches skills for effective leadership, says it has "no formal educational requirement."

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 05-14-2014 at 09:09.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:55   #10
Kasik
Quiet Professional

Training

Rumor is that his partner was directed to undergo remedial firearms training after the incident -

With emphasis on pistol marksmanship
Old 05-14-2014, 11:36   #11
ZUG_master
Quiet Professional

Jany drops out....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...pt-off-ballot/

But in Florida, the party for the moment appears to be left without a candidate after Ed Jany, an independent running with Democratic support against Republican Rep. David Jolly, dropped out.

The decision by the Marine and former police officer comes days after The Tampa Bay Times published a story questioning whether he padded his education credentials on his resume.

In a statement, Jany made no reference to that report, and cited difficulty balancing the campaign with professional work he was doing in Brazil.

"In my professional capacity, I am responsible for coordinating some of the Command and Control for Security at the World Cup in Brazil this year, something I committed to doing some time ago," he said in a statement, according to The Tampa Bay Times. "I wrongly assumed that I could maintain my professional work requirements while running for office, just as I was able to work full-time as a police officer while pursuing a full-time education and balancing my military service in the past."

DCCC Executive Director Kelly Ward issued a brief statement on the decision. "We respect and appreciate Ed Jany's ongoing efforts to continue serving his country and wish him the best in his future endeavors," Ward said.

But the development undoubtedly stings for Democrats, whose candidate Alex Sink narrowly lost to Jolly in a special election in March for the Tampa-area House seat. They have another chance to win the seat in the fall, but it's unclear whether the party will rally behind a new candidate.
ZUG_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:52   #12
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
.....an independent running with Democratic support against Republican Rep. David Jolly, dropped out.
He was a Republican but claims to have switched to Democrat due to opposition to sequestration. It is the state campaign laws that require a candidate to be a member of a party for 1 year before running for office with the new party affiliation.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:34   #13
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Pretty sure this guy was our liason when we went to Brazil in 2003. Laison was SF, ex Marine and ex cop who got shot in the arm and hand in Washington. Has to be the same guy. He was sqaured away and helped us out a lot.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:56   #14
CSB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Eduardo Jany – Director LEADS

Eduardo Jany
Eduardo Jany

EDUARDO JANY is the Director of LEADS- Law Enforcement and Defense Services for Mutualink, Inc. providing advisory, training and equipping services and solutions to military, police and security organizations worldwide. Eduardo was born in São Paulo, Brazil and is fluent in Portuguese and Spanish and functional in French and Italian.

He retired as a Police Captain in the metropolitan Seattle, WA area and is an accomplished law enforcement professional with experience in police leadership, management and operations serving more than 20 years in Minnesota, Florida, and Washington States. He has held assignments in SWAT, canine, patrol, homicide task forces, narcotics, training and investigations, and implemented numerous key programs several of which earned awards at the state and local levels and continues serving as a Reserve Police Officer with the Tampa Police Department Mounted Unit.

He also serves in the United States Marine Corps Reserve as the Commanding Officer of Anti-Terrorism Battalion, 4th Marine Division and was recently selected for promotion to Colonel. He began his career as an enlisted soldier in the Army at 17 years of age and has 30 years of combined active and reserve service in Marine Reconnaissance and the US Army Special Forces with extensive experience in special operations. His assignments include contingency operations with Special Operations Command Central (SOCCENT), Joint Special Operations Task Force, Plans and Operations Officer- Latin America, Marine FPEP-Liaison Officer to Argentina, Counter-Narcotics and Counter-Terrorism Officer – Brazil, Coalition Forces Team Leader during combat operations, Recon Company Commander, Company Executive Officer, Infantry Officer, Civil Affairs Officer, Special Operations Instructor and in a wide-variety of assignments including task forces, NCIS Foreign Area Investigations, Anti-Terrorism/Force Protection Officer, overseas advisory and staff billets.

Eduardo completed the Harvard University – Kennedy School of Government National and International Security Senior Executives Program and additional graduate study in Criminal Justice through the University of Wisconsin. He is also a graduate of the United States Marine Corps Command and Staff College, the Inter-American Defense College Course on Diplomacy and Conflict Management, Madison University BA in Law Enforcement Administration; and attended the University of Minnesota completing four years of baccalaureate and graduate level work in Latin American Studies.

He is frequently sought after as a lecturer and guest instructor at numerous courses and conferences worldwide including the ASIS International Security Conference, ViEX Americas Airport Security Conference, the International Symposium on Police-Community Relations, the National Tactical Officer Association, the International Association of Chiefs of Police Conference, the INTERSEG Public Safety Conference, the International Police Canine Training Conferences, the Latin America Regional Conference on Community Policing, Conference of Americas on Non-Lethal Weapons and the Florida SWAT Association and SWAT Round-up-International.

Additionally, he is on the Advisory Board of the National Tactical Officer Association and has been cited and quoted in studies and publications by the RAND Corporation, the US State Department, and the Army War College and recently published articles on effective policing through civic action. He holds over a dozen certifications and instructor credentials and is the recipient of numerous military, local, state, and foreign awards including the Bronze Star Medal, Joint Service Commendation Medal, Joint Service Achievement Award, Army Achievement Medal, Presidential Unit Citation, Meritorious Unit Citation, Joint Service awards, Overseas service awards, Military Free Fall and USN-USMC Parachutist wings, Special Forces tab, WA State Traffic Safety Commission Community Relations Award, FL State Criminal Justice Board of Trustees Award, Police Officer of the Year “Excellence in Service” Award, and the Police Medal of Valor.
http://lawenforcementanddefenseservices.com/team/

A Marine Corps LTC(P) with a degree from a diploma mill?

He is claiming a Special Forces Tab, Military Free Fall (and USMC/Navy wings).
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 21:28   #15
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Eduardo Jany

Eduardo Jany has joined the forums. I will clear him hot to post here.

As I sent you in a message and an email tell me the dates you attended the Special Forces Qualification Course. It's that simple and I will verify you as a real "Green Beret".

Serving in the National Guard in a Special Forces position does not make you a Green Beret. It seems the NG used to do that quite often, ask David Oh...... we exposed him as a liar and a fraud.

When did you graduate the Special Forces Qualification Course? Tell me the dates and I'll verify it.