Old 02-26-2005, 07:52   #1
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Lights

Steve Yon wrote about the diffirent lights used by the men in Iraq in hiis Iraqi Blog.
Jump on this one and tell me what you think is the best light and why.

BMT
Old 02-26-2005, 09:37   #2
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Surefire L1 WH for everyday use. I didn't realize how often I needed a light until I had one to use. One 3 volt battery lasts over a month of daily use, and the 2 stage tailcap allows you to only use as much light as you need.

I also have/use:
Inova X1: (+)Very compact, uses one AA battery, decent beam for it's size, lockout tailcap. (-) Mine went tits up after about 3 months EDC, the factory will warranty it, I just haven't sent it to RI yet

Inova X5: (+)This light is roughly the same size as the L1 and pretty much does the same job, just a little different. The L1 has One Focused LED, while the X5 has 5 LEDs that are not focused. It puts out a soft diffused light very good for up close work, and will run on 3 volt batteries your High output surefire lights have already drained. (-) Basically outperformed by the L1

Streamlight Stylus: (+)Roughly the size of a long Ink Pen, uses 3 AAAA batteries which last forever and a day. I have two of these, One in red and one in white. (-)Have you ever even seen a AAAA battery?

Surefire G2/Z2: (+)Basically the same light, just different colorful shells. Both use (2) 3 volt batteries and the P60/61 bulb from Surefire, they put out more light than a 4-D cell mag light.(-) Only last one hour, Bulbs are somewhat fragile and bulb life is highly dependant on how rough you are on them.

Surefire M6: (+) This is the largest, most powerful light readily available from surefire(not talking about "The Beast" or "Hellfire" here) Takes (6) 3 volt batteries and has a battery life of 20 minutes with the bright bulb. This thing is brutally bright and really useless to your average gringo, think Pickup truck cigarrette lighter plug in spotlight performance that you can put in your back pocket. (-) Why, Just Why?

Maglights: (+) These lights are so obsolete performance wise, they are great to loan to buddies with a bad history of returning things. The larger ones are still quite effective as clubs, an ability that appeals to my inner caveman. They usually work pretty well as flashlights, but a SF is more powerful and easier to carry. They use mainstream, widely available batteries, and the bulbs are available at every Wal-Mart and Hardware store there is. (-) These were great lights for there time, but there are now better options available.

Photon Microlights: (+) Small size, good light output for their size, wide array of colors available, Flashing strobe, SOS, and variable light output available in some models. UV and IR lights are available, as well as versions that direct the light only where it is wanted, rather than the 180 degree light output of a standard LED. (-)While there light output is good for there size, they are still rather weak in the big scheme of things, but they are better than nothing.

Thats what I have and use, YMMV
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 10:01   #3
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Good post Air.177.
All I can do is second the comments.
If there is a light better than SureFire for compact/high output, I haven't heard of it. I have at least three small ones around here and always keep one in my pocket for going out to the shop in the dark and often returning to the house in the same light conditions. This is country, no city lights at night.

Besides, if you keep it dark, the critters come in closer.

Photon Microlight is headquartered about 45 minutes up the road from here. I know that all of these are assembled here in Oregon.
I have several of those at all times including the one on the keychain.

I give Mag Lights to the kids.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 13:58   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Hey, BMT, where is the link?

Air:

Close, but not exactly.

The light to power formula is a scientific constant. There is no getting around it. At $1.25 each from SureFire, the 123As are about the same cost as AA Duracells.

If you go through a fresh 123A in a L1 every month, you must be using the heck out of it. The L1 runs over 50 hours continuously on the low power setting.

There are more differences between the G2 and Z2 than you observe.

The M6 is sweet, and fills a purpose. If you need one of the most powerful self-contained hand-held flashlights readily available for something, that is it. Otherwise, it is expensive and with the high-intensity MN-21 bulb, goes through batteries like a fat chick through a box of chocolates. The 10X is actually more powerful, and is a rechargeable. Makes one heck of a patrol or vehicle installed light. Dual bulbs, 60 and 500 lumens.

All are different, and serve different purposes. I carry a Photon or three for that very reason.

Anyone who runs into me and wants a Surefire catalog, just ask for it. Or check out the surefire.com website, or call the Customer Service Department there.

Lights are like guns and parachutes. If it is critical, two is one, and one is none.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 14:07   #5
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Hey, BMT, where is the link?

Air:

Close, but not exactly.

The light to power formula is a scientific. There is no getting around it. At $1.25 each from SureFire, the 123As are about the same cost as AA Duracells.

If you go through a fresh 123A in a L1 every month, you must be using the heck out of it. The L1 runs over 50 hours continuously on the low power setting.

There are more differences between the G2 and Z2 than you observe.

The M6 is sweet, and fills a purpose. If you need one of the most powerful self-contained hand-held flashlights readily available for something, that is it. Otherwise, it is expensive and with the high-intensity MN-21 bulb, goes through batteries like a fat chick through a box of chocolates. The 10X is actually more powerful, and is a rechargeable. Makes one heck of a patrol or vehicle installed light. Dual bulbs, 60 and 500 lumens.

All are different, and serve different purposes. I carry a Photon or three for that very reason.

Anyone who runs into me and wants a Surefire catalog, just ask for it. Or check out the surefire.com website, or call the Customer Service Department there.

Lights are like guns and parachutes. If it is critical, two is one, and one is none.

TR
I definitely want one of these lights, I am sold!

Now I need to find some money.

Terry
Old 02-26-2005, 14:17   #6
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Lights

www.michaelyon.blogspot.com

Guys this is the link with the stories about diffirent lights.

BMT
Old 02-26-2005, 14:53   #7
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I've got 4-5 G2/Z2, the new plastic ones. I like them alot.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 15:10   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
I've got 4-5 G2/Z2, the new plastic ones. I like them alot.
Plastic is the G2 or the G2Z. The Z2 has an aluminum body.

The difference is that the G2 has a constant diameter body and the G2Z has the metal lanyard ring and a reduced mid-section with the rubber ring for the Rogers' tactical hold.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 02-26-2005, 16:48   #9
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Currently I have 3 Surefires:

E1, M2, and 6Z.

I hope to add the following to my collection in the next few months:

X200, E2e or the new Tacitcal LED (CRS the name) puts out like 50 or 60 lumens.

IMHO there isn't a better light out then a Surefire!
"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck, "The Law"
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 17:09   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Joe
Currently I have 3 Surefires:

E1, M2, and 6Z.

I hope to add the following to my collection in the next few months:

X200, E2e or the new Tacitcal LED (CRS the name) puts out like 50 or 60 lumens.

IMHO there isn't a better light out then a Surefire!
I would look at the SureFire LED lights.

I like the L1, as discussed, the L2 (a two cell, two stage light, 15/100 lumens, 18 hours/1 hour), the L4 (basically an E2 with the KL4 LED head, 65 lumens for 2.5 hours), the 10X as a patrol light, the X200 handgun light (once the pressure pad switches are out), and the M600A Scout Light for a long gun (4.5 oz., 65 lumens, 3 hours, built-in Picatinny mount).

Just some things to think about.

TR

Old 02-26-2005, 17:20   #11
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

TR:

If I wanted to carry a light with me at all times, in my pocket, which one would you recommend? E2E?

RL
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 18:00   #12
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
TR:

If I wanted to carry a light with me at all times, in my pocket, which one would you recommend? E2E?

RL
Like other recommendations, the answer is it depends on what you want to do with it, how critical is it that it absolutely work everytime, and how much you want to spend. I suspect that you want to use the light for the usual civilian purposes, like looking for something you dropped, reading or writing in the dark, or finding the light switch, or navigating. If you have serious social purposes in mind, like stunning someone ot lighting them up at 25 meters to engage with a firearm, that would require more lumens.

Eventually, any light with an incandescent bulb bulb will fail. The LED will not, and the batteries will last significantly longer with the LED. On the downside, the LED lights cost significantly more.

You should consider the E1 Executive ($78 MSRP, incandescent, but the smallest, 15 lumens, 1.5 hours, 2.2 oz., 3.3" long, a nice gentlemen's pocket light), L1 Lumamax ($125 MSRP, slightly larger, once cell, two stage, Red, Green, Blue, or White LEDs, .7/15 lumens, 50 hours/2 hours, 2.9 oz., 4.6", my favorite up close), the L4 ($160 MSRP, two cell, one-stage, 65 lumens, 2.5 hours, 3.4 oz., 5.05", very flexible, the counterpart to the 6v. incandescent SureFire lights), or if you have the space to carry it and want to do all of the above, the L2 ($165 MSRP, two-cell, two-stage, 15/100 lumens, 18 hours/1 hour, 4.2 oz., 6.06" my favorite "do it all" light).

Hope that helps, do you need pictures?

TR

Old 02-26-2005, 18:15   #13
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Always!!
Old 02-26-2005, 18:18   #14
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET
Now I need to find some money.
Terry
You're killing me Terry. Just sell ONE of the ten houses you and Nancy own or maybe ONE of the dozen high end sports cars. Damn rich MD, PHD, XYZLMNOP,etc famous scientific scholars.... LOL

sorry, couldn't resist CPT

Edit to add: This thread makes me think we need a ....
[coughing disguise]
GROUPBUY [/cough]

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 02-26-2005 at 18:25.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 18:53   #15
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Thanks, but the Surefire web site has plenty.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote