Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 05-03-2018, 19:20   #16
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

The Scouts have fallen for the fallacy that is sweeping the country, essentially, that boys and girls are exactly the same.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 21:10   #17
Box
Quiet Professional

...but I have seen it in the movies

girls can do anything boys can do
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 22:57   #18
Requiem
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post

In the movies, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards and in high heels.

In real life, it's not that way, but there are those who want to think so.

It's a shame that boys don't have a place to be boys anymore, whether that's in the Boy Scouts, the army, boys' schools, sports teams, or wherever.

S.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:25   #19
Dean Jarvis
Quiet Professional

I'll never forget the first day of class in phase II. Our instructor walked up to the chalkboard and wrote his name: Tramell. Then he said that stood for Toughest, Roughest And Meanest Motherfucker that Ever Lived and Loved.

Then he asked our 12B class of about 15, how many are Eagle Scouts, and over half raised their hands, me included. He said he was a scoutmaster and observed that there was a quality about kids that achieved the rank of Eagle Scouts that attracted them to want to achieve the status of a GB.

The Scouting program today is so convoluted I'm thinking about returning my Eagle award in protest.

Last edited by Dean Jarvis; 05-04-2018 at 06:51.
Dean Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:04   #20
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Jarvis View Post
The Scouting program today is so convoluted I'm thinking about returning my Eagle award in protest.
Horsehockey; you earned it during the era you earned it.

Stroll down memory lane.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:21   #21
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
I dunno - perhaps coed overnight excursions could be an opportunity for some new merit badges...
The "Joy Scouts" ?

Last edited by mojaveman; 12-14-2018 at 21:00.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 21:00   #22
exsquid
Quiet Professional

I remember hearing about this being discussed a while back. As I remember it, the BSA was basically saying they had to consider expanding their base because the ranks were depleting (let's face it, young kids want to sit in front of a TV and not a camp fire) and that the money was running thin. Basically they said, the Girl Scouts made so much money off of cookies that they never needed to worry about overall numbers because the money would always keep coming in. I also remember hearing the Girls Scouts grumbling that the BSA was trying to lure away their constituency. I am not sure I think this part of a grand scheme to effeminize boys despite the fact that our culture is trying to do so.

x/S
Old 05-05-2018, 15:15   #23
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
My $00.0002

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANT ON
Lots of shit going around about the BSA opening up to females. 95% of you are betting the by the end of summer there will be a couple hundred thousand preggy scouts after summer camp..

My girls could have whipped ass in field skills, hunting, shooting, land nav if they had a chance 30yrs ago. Because I provided the opportunity to learn the needed skills.

If you look at the Scout badges, I think there are 130+..
There is not one badge that is sex specific.
There is no biggest dick badge
There is no biggest tits badge

AND every badge has just about the same requirements.

Now if BSA sets limits, like 100 push-up in 2 minutes, but that's not what the BSA does.

Quote:
The Foundation of Scouting

Scout Oath: On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and MORALLY STRAIGHT.

Scout Law: A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

Scout Mission: The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to PREPARE YOUNG PEOPLE TO MAKE ETHICAL AND MORAL CHOICES over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Scout Law.
We are talking about kids,, being good Scouts, supervised by good parents.

NOT the thining out the weak and unprepared in the Q course..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merit-Badges8.jpg (131.9 KB, 50 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 15:59   #24
Joker
Quiet Professional

That is a big change of the Merit Badges of the '70s.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 14:56   #25
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

Males still join the Boy Scouts these days? Speaking as an Eagle Scout, last I looked, the BSA was a pussified, politically correct program. They no longer get my money.
TrapperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 16:04   #26
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Egg-zactly......

There's not a movie or television show made in the last couple of years that does not depict women/females/weaker gender as "warriors"........ equal to men in every "physical" respect.

Joseph Goebbels, would be proud of our "media" industry. The scouts, not so much. I quit buying girl scout cookies long ago.
Old 05-06-2018, 16:21   #27
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Send a bunch of young women and young men on overnight trips together who have merit badges in tying knots.
What could go wrong?
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:29   #28
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:

I blame Irvin Berlin and Annie Get Your Gun...

"Anything you can do I can do better..."

Insert "Squid that quotes musicals" jokes here....

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:06   #29
PSM
Area Commander

“Unlock a New World”

Boy Scouts to provide condoms at upcoming World Jamboree

Quote:
By Bradford Richardson - The Washington Times - Tuesday, May 22, 2018

The Boy Scouts will reportedly provide condoms at the upcoming World Scout Jamboree.

The World Organization of Scouting Movement handbook requires the host organization to “ensure that condoms are readily and easily accessible for all participants and [International Service Team staff] at a number of locations on the site.”

The 2019 World Scout Jamboree will be held in West Virginia from July 21 to Aug. 1. The theme is “Unlock a New World.”

The World Jamboree is an official World Organization of the Scout Movement event. The Boy Scouts are co-hosting this year’s program with two other scouting organizations, Scouts Canada and the Scouts Association of Mexico.

Andy Chapman, vice chairperson of the World Scout Committee, said the co-hosts are working to implement requirements previously laid out by the World Organization of the Scout Movement.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...orld-jamboree/
When does the backlash start?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BS Memorial.jpg (220.1 KB, 34 views)

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 14:24   #30
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Boy Scouts to provide condoms at upcoming World Jamboree

When does the backlash start?
Well, that’s leaning forward in the foxhole!

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote