Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 12-17-2015, 20:16   #1
sapinid
Asset

most used size rucksack

My son just passed selection, and I promised him a rucksack if he did. I have looked at the different sites talking about the best brand name kinds, but what I would like to know is how many rucksacks do you own that you have used on the job, and how many liters or cubic inches does each one hold?
I realize it would depend on the job, but I am guessing that there is one backpack that you used the most. Which size one did you use the most? My son starts 18D training in March. Thanks for any information you can send my way.
sapinid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:13   #2
Joker
Quiet Professional

Ask him or take him shopping for one.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:03   #3
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Ask him or take him shopping for one.
Probably a little tough to accomplish, looking at the author's present location.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 17:12   #4
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
Probably a little tough to accomplish, looking at the author's present location.
Never can tell with bunches of folks traveling for Christmas...
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:06   #5
sapinid
Asset

getting the right bag

I do realize that the ruck needs to be his choice, but what advice we are looking for, is what size ruck seems to be the one that any of you used or currently use the most? Doesn't make sense to buy a super nice ruck that he might only use once a year, and he gets a cheaper/lousy one that he uses all the time. Of course there is no rush on this, because I don't think he will need it for at least 36 weeks after he does the first bit of his medical training, but I want to get the best advice on this that I can before he gets his bag. Of course he will choose what size, but then I can say, this is what you guys said.
The other question, out of curiosity, was how many rucksacks by size do you guys own that you use?
Thanks for any advice on this.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:53   #6
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapinid View Post
My son just passed selection, and I promised him a rucksack if he did. I have looked at the different sites talking about the best brand name kinds, but what I would like to know is how many rucksacks do you own that you have used on the job, and how many liters or cubic inches does each one hold?
I realize it would depend on the job, but I am guessing that there is one backpack that you used the most. Which size one did you use the most? My son starts 18D training in March. Thanks for any information you can send my way.
two suggestions/thoughts

1)what he uses in the course will probably not be what he selects when he gets to a team.

2)18D have multiple requirements for deployment med gear. He may end up with several based on mission.

As suggested, his input is paramount, but at this point may not be viable.

I would suggest he continue to use what he used for selection, until he feels he needs have altered.. Also during the course he will get real input from classmates and instructors.

Good Luck..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:36   #7
murphyd1
Asset

The most common ruck sack used in the Q course is the issued MOLLE pack. He will be fine using that... Some guys use an ALICE pack (large) and that can be purchased online or at most army surplus stores. If you are trying to go high end some guys like tactical tailor MALICE packs. http://www.tacticaltailor.com/malicepack.aspx

Most guys at group have multiple rucks depending on the mission/training event. (MOLLE, ALICE, Mystery Ranch, etc) But they will issue those to him, no need to buy anything.

I agree with the above comments... ask him what he wants. Keep in mind he might need some more time rucking before he knows what is comfortable for him.

Last edited by murphyd1; 12-19-2015 at 10:40.
murphyd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 14:16   #8
CDRODA396
Quiet Professional

I am not trying to be flippant, or smart-assed, really, but trying to buy someone a rucksack long distance is a very challenging proposition.

If it was me, I'd by him a Glock 19 that he can carry and train with off duty, and let the rucksack thing work itself out in the team room where those who have been around will make sure he gets what he needs. Just my $.02
Old 12-19-2015, 16:00   #9
sapinid
Asset

like that idea about the glock. I will be in the USA and will see him, so won't be buying from a distance.
Old 12-19-2015, 17:31   #10
Sdiver
Area Commander

Just a thought, here's a web site that deals with Military luggage/packs/backpacks and any other type bag you can think of.

http://www.militaryluggage.com/

I've ordered several bags from them and really like their products. They have great customer service and are very PRO-MILITARY.

Once your son gets settled in on what he needs, then the two of you can check out what's on the site that he might find useful. They can ship it directly to him, so you don't have to do the "double ship" (they to you / you to him).

Hope this helps.

Although, I do like the Glock idea too.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 22:51   #11
Razor
Quiet Professional

I have to agree with JJ--he's too early in training to even know himself what he will actually need when he gets to a team. Perhaps you might consider putting this purchase off until he gets to a unit and learns their mission and operational environment.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 17:34   #12
sapinid
Asset

thanks for the advice, I agree that it would be wisest to wait until after his training, if Lord willing he makes it through.
Old 12-25-2015, 21:08   #13
chester
SF Candidate

If you get him a ruck they will probably not let him use it during the course, and he will be issued plenty of gear at group if he succeeds in getting there. I'm a somewhat recent graduate of the medic pipeline and I like the glock idea, although I found little time to practice with mine during the course. Some other ideas would be anatomy and physiology materials, especially something that is cadaver based, or a good book for his language. Probably something medical though as that is his first and one of his more challenging obstacles he will face.
chester is offline   Reply With Quote