Old 02-22-2013, 13:18   #916
Camoginger
Asset

building a team for the future.

good after noon admin and users. I am looking for some basic tips for building a local team of individual. A group that can work together as well as solo, i want them to blend onto there AO, taking in all they can from the people and events around them. They should be "teachers and students" able to lead a group through a task if needed or sit watch a listen.
This group would be called upon in time of disaster and unrest in the places we live. This group has already taken shape in a raw form. The core group of individuals is comprised of soldiers and retires soldiers from the national guard. We all have a higher level of tactical understanding and training, always learning and adapting new methods. An area i think we could use direction would be the psychological aspect of gaining civilians trust and getting them to want to protect them selves, So when if the social structure collapses around us and we need to rebuild, or remove the problems.

Do you have and input on what areas should be focused on or new things to consider? and where the info could be found.

SIM Team leader.
Camoginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 16:01   #917
OEG
Quiet Professional.

Introduction

I am a retired 18A, and heard about Quiet Professionals from a friend. It seems to be a good way to stay connected to the Special Forces community. Feel free to contact me.
De Oppresso Liber
OEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 18:08   #918
jzachariahg
Asset

Intro.

Hello, my name is Zach, and I am a 16 sophomore at Camden County High School in Southeast Georgia. I run cross-country and track and I am also on the swim team. I am considering going into the Army Special Forces, as well as considering the Rangers, and look forward to learning what I can here.
Old 02-22-2013, 20:32   #919
uspsmark
BANNED USER

Hello from Southwest Virginia...

Thank you for allowing me access to your site. I've spent a few hours over the past 72 reading through several postings and getting to know the rules for posting and the role of a visitor like myself.

I am 50 years old and served in the U.S. Army from 1983-1994. I actually started my military service after high school when I went to Georgia Military College and was a cadet in the two year commissioning program. I graduated with an AS Degree in Engineering (mostly math and science courses) and was commissioned a 2LT. I then went to Florida State University for a year until my funds ran out. While in school that year, I served as an Infantry Platoon Leader in the Florida Army National Guard in Tallahassee, FL. A close friend of mine's Father was an Army recruiter and I discussed my options of entering on active duty, We discussed several options and I elected to sign a contract which would put me through 91B school, then Airborne school and enrollment in the SFQC for 18D. I graduated from 300-F1 in January of 85 and went to Fort Bragg to start MedLab and continue with the Q course. In between the end of studies at Fort Sam and arrival back at Bragg, I got married to an active duty 91B that was stationed at Fort Hood, TX. Got to Bragg, waited several months for an available MedLab slot with the rest of my group of trainees. We spent the "down time" doing PT, taking EMT and Trauma and Triage classes, doing Land Nav out near Texas Pond (and the porta potty dump site!), etc. I finally got to Med Lab and enjoyed every minute of it. Doing a necropsy on a goat, killing and eating our own chicken for lunch in the compound, and the various other fun times was fantastic. But...I made a decision that would haunt me for the rest of my time in service. After discussions with my new wife on many occasions, I decided to voluntarily withdraw from the Q course just prior to finishing Med Lab. I took a joint domicile assignment at Fort Hood, TX and was put into a Mechanized Infantry unit. This was the time frame when they had split 91B into 91A and 91B. I was an E4 at the time of arrival and was kept a 91B since I had taken the Special Operation Medical NCO Course. I got promoted to E5 in the secondary zone and was the only E4 91B on the list. I re-enlisted for duty stabilization at my home base and a very good bonus. That lasted a year before I got orders to go to the Sinai with the Multinational Force and Observers Logistical Support Unit as a Flight Medic. Served as the NCOIC for the flight medical detachment for a 12 month tour. I requested to be returned to Bragg and got orders to a FAST Team (which was a fairly new concept at the time). My orders got rescinded and I got extended an additional two months and got new orders to report to the Army School of Aviation Medicine at Fort Rucker, AL as an instructor. I had been before the promotion board while in the Sinai and got promoted to E6 (once again in the secondary zone and there were only 3 on the list that time) shortly after arriving in Alabama. I worked as an instructor in Aviation Medicine, went to the Air Force School for Hypo/Hyperbaric technicians as well. I took the FAST screening test and got a slot in Flight School and graduated in 1990 as a UH-1 pilot. I went directly to a UH-60 transition and was supposed to be assigned to a unit that was in Kuwait. Orders got changed and I was sent to Germany to a unit supporting the U.S. Embassy in Beirut. Flew a bunch of missions from Cyprus to Beirut for two years then came back to Fort Hood, TX and worked in airfield operations until time for me to leave the service. I got out in 1994, worked in the computer field for a year then took a job with the U.S Postal Service where I could add my military time to my new Federal job benefits. I'm currently a Postmaster in a small rural community.

My medical training in Fort Sam and Fort Bragg made me a much better medic than many of my contemporaries. To this day, I still remember quite a bit of it. My doctor asked me if I was a veterinarian or a nurse the first time he met me since I was so well versed in Anatomy & Physiology and diagnostic skills.

Although I never made it into the ranks of our outstanding "Quiet Professionals", I still to this day feel a bond with all of you. I applaud your service and dedication to our country. It's an honor to come back and read up on all the new things that have happened in the past 25+ years and bear witness to the best soldiers in the world doing what they do. Congratulations on an outstanding site!
uspsmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 18:33   #920
Rarely Smiles
Asset

Intro

Hello there,

I have been in the Army for nearly two years and I think it finally time to try for what I have always wanted deep down. When I originally joined the Army, the MOS choices that I wanted were not open, so I took something local in the Reserves until I could get my G.E.D. upgraded to a full diploma, as well as adding some college credits onto that. No more "profile" units where a good amount of lazy soldiers make it by on their profiles that they do not need. No more lax rules, no more non enforced discipline for my unit SOP. No more taking it easy....I want more.

I want to try something that I have always felt a calling for deep down. Not simply something that I wanted to do. This is something that I know I have to try out for. I've looked at many options in the Army before deciding to enlist as 18X, and I also have talked to many people as well. I have been to these forums quite often, and have read them many times even before creating my account here.

I have had several Special Operations men, and a former SF guy teach me some PT tricks...but I know that the ultimate success or failure lies within how much I am willing to push. So I have come forward to try this since this seems to be a calling for me. I was never satisfied elsewhere, but I feel satisfied now as an 18X. I'm mostly here to read, maybe ask a few questions, and then I only plan to come back and give advice IF I earn the right to do so.
Rarely Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 18:12   #921
eneq
Asset

Hey guys; My name is Daniel, and I am currently a senior in high school. I am seriously considering Special Forces as a career after college. I have always greatly admired the military and I hope to learn a lot here
eneq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:55   #922
philosophizer
Asset

Salutations from Wisconsin

Hi everybody. MJ from Wisconsin, extending my greetings to you all.

I'm a 25 year-old theology graduate student at a Catholic university here in Milwaukee. I studied philosophy and religion in my undergrad at a University of Wisconsin school. So this means, at the very least, I am book-smart . I have an 18x contract already. My step-grandfather served in the Vietnam War as an Army Special Forces soldier; he was in MACV-SOG. So in some sense, I would like to carry the torch.

Physically, I'm a gym-rat who used to run cross-country and track in HS (and a year in college). Since running didn't really pan out I hit the weights. Despite that (I now weigh 190 lbs at 6' from 160 lbs), running was and always will be my strong suit. To give you all an idea, I was still able to break a 5-minute mile during the Army PT. I'm hoping this translates well into a good ruck! Still, I'm somewhat afraid that lifting too much weights will put me at a disadvantage at SFAS, though. I have something of an addiction to lifting weights for size. Then again, it's not all just for decoration; I've maxed the Army PT scores.

What else? Initially, I wanted to join Air Force pararescue, but I did not meet the vision requirements. My eyes are something like 20/200 and 20/100. I was surprised (pleasantly, so) to see that I could meet the Army Special Forces vision requirements. I never really thought of SF until recently; perhaps my aversion was due to the mystique and aura surrounding my grandfather that led me to unconsciously believe that SF was somehow "beyond me" or "superhuman." I put plenty of thought and prayer into it, and swore in with the 18x contract.

In the meanwhile I will be lurking and reading.
philosophizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:01   #923
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophizer View Post
I'm a 25 year-old theology graduate student at a Catholic university here in Milwaukee. I studied philosophy and religion in my undergrad at a University of Wisconsin school. So this means, at the very least, I am book-smart .
Actually, it doesn't. It just means you're a grad student.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:40   #924
philosophizer
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
Actually, it doesn't. It just means you're a grad student.
Touché.
philosophizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:32   #925
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophizer View Post
Hi everybody. MJ from Wisconsin, extending my greetings to you all.

I'm a 25 year-old theology graduate student at a Catholic university here in Milwaukee.
Bless me Father . . .
You can say Marquette. Don't be ashamed. Not everyone can go to Gonzaga. say three Hail Marys and the Act of Contrition. You'll be okay.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:41   #926
Richard
Quiet Professional

REMINDER - this is the Intro thread and not the 3.2 beer garden behind the OSUT PX Annex - PM is how we roll if ya wanna shoot the breeze with each other around here.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 21:53   #927
Archangel3285
Asset

Intro

I am a 11B3P with almost 10 years of time in service. Im seriously looking at attending SFAS within the next year. My primary purpose here is professional development. I have 4 deployments and I am currently deployed to Afghanistan.
Archangel3285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 16:40   #928
smiff339
SF Candidate

Introduction

Thank you QP's for all your service and this site. These forums are a goldmine for aspiring SF guys.

I'm 27 non-prior service and work in NYC working in sales for a technology start-up firm. I'm relentlessly pursuing a rep63 contract in a nearby state. I feel that serving your country, people and helping others to the highest capacity is my calling. I want to learn from and work with some of the best and brightest and SF is exactly this.
smiff339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:10   #929
Riddance
Asset

Gentlemen,

I am an 18 year old college student and ROTC cadet. I have read many times on these forums that "SF is a calling." I hear that calling and look forward to answering it.

Thank you in advance for all the knowledge bestowed; past, present, and future.

Very respectfully,

Riddance
Riddance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 15:06   #930
full cooler
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Bless me Father . . .
You can say Marquette. Don't be ashamed. Not everyone can go to Gonzaga. say three Hail Marys and the Act of Contrition. You'll be okay.
Go ZAGs. Ranked #2 on both polls...
full cooler is offline   Reply With Quote