Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 05-29-2008, 11:00   #1
Intel_Airman
Guerrilla

Question 5.11 CAMS or Blackhawk A.L.E.R.T.?

I searched, but did not find any reviews. Any of you guys using either of these? The 5.11 is slightly larger (9600cu); I'm trying to cut down on the number of bags I have. Any other recommendations for deployment bags/luggage?

Thanks,

Piece
Old 05-29-2008, 11:08   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I will not use BHI gear.

IMHO, the stuff is knocked off of other people's designs without any compensationand is made in overseas sweatshops of low cost/quality materials.

The only piece of gear that I own of theirs is the Yarborough knife sheath, and I do not use the sheath, I just keep it because it came with the knife.

I believe the 5.11 gear is made in multiple overseas countries as well, but in my experience, it seems to be of better quality.

Personally, most of my tac nylon is made in the USA by craftsmen, of the best materials money can buy. I like the Eagle bags.

Caveat emptor.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 14:49   #3
Intel_Airman
Guerrilla

I ended up ordering the 5.11 CAMS online. I actually got it for 215.00 on clearance. I'll post up a review once it comes in and I pack it up.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:04   #4
Intel_Airman
Guerrilla

Thumbs up 5.11 CAMS *****

The 5.11 CAMS is a BIG bag, and so far it's just what I was looking for. The bag is constructed with a high grade nylon. It's very stiff to the touch and doesn't look like I will have any problems with it fraying or coming apart, only time will tell with that though.

The bag itself has 10 different compartments to store your gear. One main compartment takes up 3/4 of the space while the rest is distributed amongst 6 out pockets (3 on each side). Underneath the main compartment is a shallow storage area that can easily fit an M-4, sidearm of your choice, and whatever other goodies you like to keep with them. On top of the bag are two small clear compartments that you can fit folders into or any type of paperwork you need to get to quickly.

Inside the main compartment there are two dividers that you can velcro in wherever you would like to create dividers for your clothing. I set mine up for socks/underwear/tshirts, ACU's and ACS', and civies/jackets/fleece. I basically was able to take a full duffle and an A-Bag and condense it into this thing.

All zippers on the CAMS bag are lock compatible; to make sure you keep airport thieves out of your gear. There are also three straps that use a plastic buckle to secure your belongings in case the bag isn't locked and happens to come open. To aid you in moving this beheamoth, wheels are located on one end and on the other, a handle to pull it. Other carry options include duffle style handles that velcro together and the famous single strap shoulder option.

I purchased my bag for 215.00 on clearance, which is a good bit cheaper than you will find it for on the internet. However, I would still be satisfied if I paid full price. I definitely recommend this bag if you are trying to cut down on luggage; it took a big bite out of mine.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:09   #5
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Our Admin Section just received a bunch of new gear for the office. Well they bought the 5.11 as asked and the bag is nice and i think will work well. Very good construction.

As TR said earlier BHI is on my black list for the same reasons. The Admin bought some vest and other items from them and they are having to be sent back since many seams were not properly sewn and almost all vest are coming apart at different seams. The company did not want to swap the out when the secretary called so yesterday I had a long and hard talk with the VP and he agreed to take them back and replace them with another model from another company. The only bag I have from BHI is a little black one that I carry tools in and it is years old.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote