Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 09-19-2013, 13:02   #166
Aether
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost35m View Post
I just bought some rocky c4t's. I've only had them for 24 hours now, but I love them. They're a little tight on the bridge of my foot compared to my Blackhawks, but I can tell its goin away little by little a they break in. Looking to take my c4's out and about this weekend
The C4T is a very comfortable boot, it has a roomy toe box and it breaths well. Downsides? It has terrible traction, in both wet and dry conditions. It does, however, dry rather quickly in humidity (60-80%).

Last edited by Aether; 09-19-2013 at 13:05.
Aether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 19:36   #167
Sapper124
SF Candidate

Boots of choice

The Rocky C4t's are great for training and rucking on semi-improved roads but as stated before, the traction is not there for cross country. I had a pair last me through SUT but I was definitely slipping when it became wet out or on loose ground.

I learned that ROCKY would be releasing a S2V Jungle Boot when one of their reps showed up at a training event. I bought a pair as soon as I saw them online as I am a big fan of the S2V. It is very similar to the Altama Desert Jungle boots in material, but the sole is the S2V style which can handle a lot of abuse and does not melt away while fast roping like the C4T. Unfortunately the stitching fell apart as soon as I got in country and waiting for Rocky to send me a replacement pair before I get to try them out in the mountains. It is starting to cool down so these might not see a lot of use until the Spring.

In the mean time I will be sporting my ASOLO Fugitive GTX which have handled plenty of abuse and elements over the years and hold up great. Downside is they are a heavy boot.

I am a huge fan of INOV8 running shoes and when they came out with a 400gram Goretex boot I figured it was worth a shot. Big payoff, They are incredibly light, stay dry, and kept my feet warm in the NC winter. My first thought was that they would not hold up under weight because of their lightweight and the soft sole, however that was disproved while under ruck in the Uwharrie.
Sapper124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 22:23   #168
Spiffav8
Asset

I have a closet full of various types from a few companies. After getting some input from a few friends I went with the ASOLO Fugitive GTX. They have been perfect for me. Not incredibly warm during the winter months, but they aren't as bulky as others and that's a must for me.
Old 11-04-2013, 16:06   #169
TRU
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffav8 View Post
I have a closet full of various types from a few companies. After getting some input from a few friends I went with the ASOLO Fugitive GTX. They have been perfect for me. Not incredibly warm during the winter months, but they aren't as bulky as others and that's a must for me.
Let us know how you like them. I was looking at those and the LOWA Renegade GTX's. The ASOLO's on REI's website had a bunch of reviews saying the goretex was leaking on the left boot (weird...). I wear a 13W, so I'm kinda limited in my choices
TRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 16:22   #170
Spiffav8
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRU View Post
Let us know how you like them. I was looking at those and the LOWA Renegade GTX's. The ASOLO's on REI's website had a bunch of reviews saying the goretex was leaking on the left boot (weird...). I wear a 13W, so I'm kinda limited in my choices
I've had mine for the last two years and love them. No issues what so ever. Nice thing about REI is you can always take them back, no matter how beat or busted up they are. I've heard good things about the ASOLO Flame, but have yet to try a pair. I looked up the LOWA Renegade GTX and it looks like it might be a bit warmer than the ASOLO Fugitive GTX. Not a bad thing if you spend the bulk of our time on the ground. Me being in and out of a cockpit, I prefer something not so bulky or warm. "The Kids" in the back are always complaining it's to hot, so that means the cockpit is cooking and I always end up stripping off layers....thinking winter flying here. Summer is just the opposite. LoL
Old 11-27-2013, 12:18   #171
pyreaux
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRU View Post
I have 2 pairs of the Lowa renegades leather lined, one regular one wide. I find the wide to be almost if not comepletely identical in width to the regular. I definitely recommend trying to them out in person vs online ordering. I performance has been fine, but I have not attempted to push them to their limits yet. Lowa touts the molded in trim, it seems to hold pretty well but iI snagged something rather firmly and managed to separate it from the leather.

I chose leather lined after speaking to the Lowa rep. She recommended leather due to the humid area I live in saying that often gtx doesn't work well in very humid environments due to the lack of driving force across the membrane (humid inside and out). Also, a warning about the leather lining, I find that if tied loosely the boots will make some lovely squeaking noises.
pyreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:35   #172
triax
Asset

My choice Asolo GTX95 for wet weather.
For dry and hot Merell MOAB Ventilator and UA Alegent - great choice. Lightweight, well ventilated.
Tried a lot of shoes.
Belleville KIOWA - sand in the desert woke up inside the shoe through eyelets.

Last edited by triax; 12-31-2013 at 02:03.
triax is offline   Reply With Quote