Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Vital Signs

Old 10-02-2018, 12:47   #1
Bechorg
Quiet Professional

Stem cell treatment TRICARE

I heard a story about two team guys who got stem cell injection treatment in Panama for injuries., and TRICARE covered it. It runs about 25K for this multi-week treatment.

I recently had S1/L5 discectomy on 26JULY, and after 10 weeks of recovery, my sciatica is continuing, at times worse than pre-surgery. I am at the end of my rope with recovery, all I want to do is be able to wear kit, run, deadlift, and squat in order to stay on an ODA. I am at 13 years, with eight deployments and this has put a halt to my career, and I am afraid that if this continues for another few months I will be medically boarded. Any info is appreciated!
Bechorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 13:24   #2
Odd Job
Guerrilla

You have my sympathy with the sciatica. I have also had it and I know it is no fun. Mine was caused by a piriformis entrapment of the sciatic nerve high up at the buttock. Luckily it was released by physiotherapy.

1) What was the diagnosed cause of your sciatica prior to surgery?
2) What was the primary expected benefit of having the surgery?

What I am getting at is this: if the sciatica was deemed treatable by surgery and you had such surgery and it is not cured, then what went wrong?
It could be that the original diagnosis was incorrect, or it could be that the surgery was unsuccessful on a technical level.

In both cases you need another ortho review. They have to explain to you why you still have this pain and what they can do to alleviate it.
Possibly a new MRI scan will help find out what is going on.
A second opinion on your existing imaging would not go astray either!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 16:03   #3
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bechorg View Post
I heard a story about two team guys who got stem cell injection treatment in Panama for injuries., and TRICARE covered it. It runs about 25K for this multi-week treatment.

I recently had S1/L5 discectomy on 26JULY, and after 10 weeks of recovery, my sciatica is continuing, at times worse than pre-surgery. I am at the end of my rope with recovery, all I want to do is be able to wear kit, run, deadlift, and squat in order to stay on an ODA. I am at 13 years, with eight deployments and this has put a halt to my career, and I am afraid that if this continues for another few months I will be medically boarded. Any info is appreciated!

Not sure how far they are going with stem cells but I just had my feet taken care of from damaged arches and heel injuries with stem cells so I know they are doing it here in the states also another friend was offered stem cell treatment for his damaged arm nerves from gunshots several years ago......worth a shot
Old 10-12-2018, 19:37   #4
2018commo
Quiet Professional

Not TriCare eligible...yet, but just had Lipogems treatment on my knee. Was not ready for a replacement, thus this was a preferred option. BCBS did not cover, thus the $$ up front was large. Still in PT, but joint feels strong. There is a stem cell component to the Lipogems treatment. Had both knees scoped 10 years ago, current knee was first. Might want to look into it.
AO sends

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 19:59   #5
Cenetix
Asset

I see this post is a little old, but I’m going to add my relevant experience. I’m also active duty at Fort Bragg and over the summer I had bone marrow aspirated stem cells and amniotic membrane injected into both my knees at Womack on Fort Bragg. These treatments are being done; no need to travel to Panama. However, your mileage may vary depending on what you are trying to accomplish. Don’t expect miracles. These procedures would have cost $40k per knee private sector, but they didn’t do anything for me. Ergo, I’m glad I didn’t waste $80k of my own money chasing the dragon.
Cenetix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:15   #6
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenetix View Post
I see this post is a little old, but I’m going to add my relevant experience. I’m also active duty at Fort Bragg and over the summer I had bone marrow aspirated stem cells and amniotic membrane injected into both my knees at Womack on Fort Bragg. These treatments are being done; no need to travel to Panama. However, your mileage may vary depending on what you are trying to accomplish. Don’t expect miracles. These procedures would have cost $40k per knee private sector, but they didn’t do anything for me. Ergo, I’m glad I didn’t waste $80k of my own money chasing the dragon.
Thank you for sharing the experience. I’ve been following this therapy option for years as I plan to get it myself. The concern is the one done in US cannot be stem cell rich source due to FDA limitation of fetus-derived product. Also afaik there’s no way to control the cells to generate into cartilage only n not into bones, which worsens the condition. Thus the only thing left is the anti inflammatory (pain reduction) benefits. You did not experience that either?

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 14:57   #7
MiTTMedic
Guerrilla

The wife had several injections in several places using Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP). No TRICARE coverage. $1k per shot. They worked. Then, he advised switching to an amniotic injection. TRICARE covered it.
She received the injections from an outside pain doctor here in San Antonio. I think the amniotic injections were cheaper than the PRP.