Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Arena

Old 10-03-2018, 13:50   #61
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
I think its going to be an interesting post season contest this year.

Surprising to see the Cubs eliminated.
Agree on the first thing, which I'll only be hearing about because of my whereabouts.

Someone who really followed the Cubs saw this coming for quite awhile this year. Starting pitching, even when able to cruise through 6-7 innings, can't take back the 3 runs they gave up in the first 2 innings - happened alot. And the bullpen was so "which version of him are we going to see today?" they were never going to really hold against someone who was continuing to move forward. They stayed where they were on the track, with no progress really since mid-late summer and the Brewers kept going. When you stand still then, as Mr. Miyagi say, "Squoosh! Just like grape." Wish the Brewers the best, they earned it the old fashioned way, now let's see if they can make it stick.

We'll see who's around next Spring in Mesa...

That little bit of extra time for other stuff now, like I wish my buddy's lessee would get his crops out soon so I can place some targets wayyyyyy out there.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 17:20   #62
Airbornelawyer

The Cubs had 39 games where they scored one or fewer runs (plus 16 where they scored two runs). The Cubs at least managed to win four of those games by a score of 1-0, but that shows that it wasn't just pitching woes, but an offense that also too often failed to deliver (they won 7 of the 16 2 run games, either 2-1 or 2-0). The hapless Orioles, by the way, had 40 such one or zero run games, winning two by a 1-0 score.

The Nationals had a similar problem with the offense often going quiet, suffering 15 shutouts, 13 1-run performances and 22 2-run performances. In the Cy Young debate, for all the people saying ignore the wins and don't punish DeGrom for a lack of run support, I would note that Max Scherzer had four losses where he gave up two runs or fewer, but the Nats were shut out. And then there's Scherzer's August 12 no-decision, where he shut out the Cubs for 7 innings and Madson gave up a walk-off grand slam in the ninth to lose 4-3.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 20:45   #63
Badger52
Area Commander

No dispute on the bats either. Much of the season several others were carrying the "names" and, along with that, much of the NL has figured out how to get specific guys out - no secrets in baseball for long. It's an amalgam of things that have to come together, and even veterans aren't immune to trying too hard & expanding the zone, rewarding the opposing pitcher's approach. Like an old MAD magazine Spy vs. Spy episode. (Exacerbated when it's the bottom of the 2nd & your starter has already given up 3 runs.)

I actually remember feeling bad for Scherzer; delighted with the outcome but felt bad for him.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Old 10-04-2018, 07:51   #64
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Cubs going down was one dagger for MLB as they see Milwaukee advance (not exactly a huge following for TV ratings).

Yankees made quick work of the A's... I'm annoyed to say that they seem to be hitting stride with healthy bats and arms returning just in time for the post season. Boston is going to need to come at them HARD to take away the momentum.

Sale has the ball for the series opener. He's been suspect of late although the club says he's "fine". Guess we'll find out.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:19   #65
Badger52
Area Commander

Brewers made some quick work as well of the Rockies and now get to await Dodgers or Braves. They will be tough for either one getting more rest. Not having that 3rd game covered on a Sunday other than by MLB channel proves that the high church of Football outrank$$$ the branch cartel of baseball, at least as far as Brewers/Rockies are concerned.

(IMO, football before the World Series is a felony and World Series played into freakin' November gets you a cell with Bubba also, but the kid calls me a curmudgeon, so...)

Old 10-08-2018, 06:56   #66
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
Brewers made some quick work as well of the Rockies and now get to await Dodgers or Braves. They will be tough for either one getting more rest. Not having that 3rd game covered on a Sunday other than by MLB channel proves that the high church of Football outrank$$$ the branch cartel of baseball, at least as far as Brewers/Rockies are concerned.

(IMO, football before the World Series is a felony and World Series played into freakin' November gets you a cell with Bubba also, but the kid calls me a curmudgeon, so...)
What is this football thing? Oh yeah, that waste of time that I don't miss.

I wish MLB hadn't taken so many games "off air" onto pay networks. I guess that's what helps keep the players' contracts outrageous and the owners' pockets stuffed with cash.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote