Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Ammo Talk

Old 02-21-2009, 20:41   #1
Ken Brock
Redneck Knifemaker

Federal HST +P, 230 grain .45acp

back in November I went deer hunting with my dad

he put me in a ground blind that he had built and I really didn't expect to even see anything since I hadn't scouted the area and I don't really like sitting on the ground

so I propped my rifle up and kicked back to enjoy the outdoors

In about 45 minutes the first deer showed up.....................about 20 yards away

then another..................at 10 yards

both were does but a small buck showed up and walked out to 50 yards and then back in close to me

the deer were so close that I was hunched over in the blind with just one eye peering out of the slit of the blind

I couldn't pick up my rifle without being seen so as soon as the does dropped their heads, I drew my Glock 30sf and shot the buck

The distance was about 15 yards and upon impact the buck dropped to the ground. He then jumped up and ran about 75 yards before dropping for good

The deer was slightly below me which probably accounts for the path of the round.

the round hit slightly higher on the shoulder than I meant to and barely clipped the spine before passing through the chest cavity and exiting. The bullet re-entered the off side upper leg and passed through it before coming to rest just under the skin on the far side. Tissue damage was pretty extensive

the buck weighed approximately 150 lbs

not trying to be a proponent or opponent, just throwing the info out there

here are a few pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pics 005.jpg (142.5 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg pics 006.jpg (131.7 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg pics 007.jpg (136.5 KB, 113 views)
Ken Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 20:56   #2
HOLLiS
Area Commander

One of the reasons I like carrying a side arm with me. Good shooting. Between shot placement and bullet design it added up to meat on the table. Thanks.

H.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 21:00   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Nice shot Ken,,

15 yds with .45 +p ,, Not something you don't all the time,, but nice to know you have a back-up...

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:31   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

You have a scope on that glock?
Old 02-22-2009, 08:56   #5
Ken Brock
Redneck Knifemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
You have a scope on that glock?

no sir and to be honest, if I had planned on hunting with a pistol I would have taken this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bladeshowknives 009.jpg (148.8 KB, 108 views)
Old 02-22-2009, 10:11   #6
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Nice Bisley that you have there. It is hard to argue with what works.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 14:46   #7
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Firing + P's in a Glock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Brock View Post
back in November I went deer hunting with my dad

he put me in a ground blind that he had built and I really didn't expect to even see anything since I hadn't scouted the area and I don't really like sitting on the ground

so I propped my rifle up and kicked back to enjoy the outdoors

In about 45 minutes the first deer showed up.....................about 20 yards away

then another..................at 10 yards

both were does but a small buck showed up and walked out to 50 yards and then back in close to me

the deer were so close that I was hunched over in the blind with just one eye peering out of the slit of the blind

I couldn't pick up my rifle without being seen so as soon as the does dropped their heads, I drew my Glock 30sf and shot the buck

The distance was about 15 yards and upon impact the buck dropped to the ground. He then jumped up and ran about 75 yards before dropping for good

The deer was slightly below me which probably accounts for the path of the round.

the round hit slightly higher on the shoulder than I meant to and barely clipped the spine before passing through the chest cavity and exiting. The bullet re-entered the off side upper leg and passed through it before coming to rest just under the skin on the far side. Tissue damage was pretty extensive

the buck weighed approximately 150 lbs

not trying to be a proponent or opponent, just throwing the info out there

here are a few pictures
Nice Shot, but do you have any problems with chamber pressure using Federal HST + P's ? The Federal Tactical 230 grain HST generates a muzzle velocity of 890 fps. What is the muzzle velocity of the 230 grain + P? Does Glock approve of using + P ammo in that particular pistol? Just Curious and wondering if you will develop cracks in the slide using this ammo? Regard's tom kelly
tom kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 14:56   #8
Ken Brock
Redneck Knifemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom kelly View Post
Nice Shot, but do you have any problems with chamber pressure using Federal HST + P's ? The Federal Tactical 230 grain HST generates a muzzle velocity of 890 fps. What is the muzzle velocity of the 230 grain + P? Does Glock approve of using + P ammo in that particular pistol? Just Curious and wondering if you will develop cracks in the slide using this ammo? Regard's tom kelly

no problems that I'm aware of

I've always shot +P carry ammo

the ammo I carry in my Glock 19 is Speer gold dot 124 grain +P

I'm not sure of the FPS of the +P HST as I've never chrono'ed it
Old 03-02-2009, 15:27   #9
Defender968
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom kelly View Post
Tom my department carried the Glock 21 (45 apc) and we carried Speer 200 grn +P and also qualified with the same ammo (don't get me started on the waste) the muzzle velocity of which is 1080 fps and we didn't have any issues with slide cracks to my knowledge. I can ask one of our firearms instructors as well if you'd like to make sure.
Defender968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 21:53   #10
dmgedgoods
Guerrilla

From my understanding, Glocks can handle +P no problem. +P+ is another story, considering no pistol that I know of is actually rated at a +P+ capacity. Excellent work Mr. Brock.

Shawn
Old 05-25-2010, 19:43   #11
Ken Brock
Redneck Knifemaker

The winchester guy came out and did a gelatin shoot last week

he also allowed us to fire our carry ammo to get a comparison. I took a round out of my carry gun and it was fired into the gelatin

I've attached a picture of both the original bullet I shot the deer with and the one recovered from the gelatin

obviously gelatin doesn't tell the whole story. there was also more penetration with the bullet fired into real tissue compared to the gel

well, for some reason the software doesn't allow me to put up the original picture for a side by side comparison so you'll just have to refer back to the original post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ken 005.jpg (142.2 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Ken Brock; 05-25-2010 at 19:45.
Old 05-25-2010, 21:52   #12
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:

he also allowed us to fire our carry ammo to get a comparison. I took a round out of my carry gun and it was fired into the gelatin

I've attached a picture of both the original bullet I shot the deer with and the one recovered from the gelatin

obviously gelatin doesn't tell the whole story. there was also more penetration with the bullet fired into real tissue compared to the gel
well, for some reason the software doesn't allow me to put up the original picture for a side by side comparison so you'll just have to refer back to the original post
Yeah and probably why trauma surgeons don't write/publish papers based on "gelatin" testing.... From what I've read only dentists and FBI ballistics "experts" do that.
Old 05-25-2010, 22:02   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Ken:

You can't post the same photo with the same name twice.

Try renaming the file and posting it again.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:31   #14
mark46th
Quiet Professional

150 pounds isn't bad for a white tail buck. Were you hunting in the Southeast?
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:29   #15
Ken Brock
Redneck Knifemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
150 pounds isn't bad for a white tail buck. Were you hunting in the Southeast?

South Carolina

I don't think it gets any more "southeast" than that