Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 03-24-2020, 11:08   #46
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Thanks

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:49   #47
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
My advisor contacts at JP Morgan
This free fall market has turned me into a trader!
Lost 1/3 too. So I now nibble and let go with the swing.
JP Morgan was really awful when I was still paying my house mortgage. So I'm glad I made money trading in and out of JPM!

Did the same with UAL, DIS, and DAL

REIT has fallen 80%+, so if you see people flocking movie theatre, parks, and malls again in 6+ months, then that's the place to park your money!

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 14:00   #48
mugwump
Area Commander

I’m up, big time. Sold all equities, except Abbott/Abbvie for sentimental reasons, days before the peak, shorted the S&P, now I’m 70% out again. I expect at least one more big leg down, where I’ll cover the balance. Then I’ll go 50% back in on a list I’ve got. That's when I’ll lose my gains.

There’ll be multiple peaks for this disease with geographic locales out of synchrony. The true peak in each area will be hard to determine with several 'false dawns.' See, for example, Italy, with two days of flattening giving hope for a peak and then yesterday the deaths roar back. Wham.

The influenza 'peak week' gets bet on by ICU staff and epidemiologist just like March Madness used to be. Even with all our experience with the flu, it's always a backwards looking determination.

New York is on track for a higher and earlier peak than initially forecast. Bad juju, even with Cuomo's brilliant reaction. Because people who live near oceans are the only ones who really matter to the press, the volume of screeching from cable news will be deafening when we near peak deaths. That’s when I’ll probably cover my last position. If the markets are open.

There should be national triage guidelines. I’m not saying to stop efforts to increase beds and vents, just recognize in many places the HC system will be badly overwhelmed. Italy (>65 years) and now Spain (>60 years) are taking older patients off of vents and replacing them with younger patients. France is next.

Face facts and establish a national policy.

And if we can’t get PPE to HCWers, shut it down. No more covid admits. Stay home and die in place, even if you’re a Kardashian or play basketball. They’ll scuttle around with their money and their privilege looking for a bed, but that’s unavoidable. Hopefully they’ll be turned away.

What's the point in gutting the HC system and losing costly medical assets?

I’m not naive, I expect none of this to come about.

“Klaatu barada nikto”
mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 14:16   #49
Pete
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump View Post
.... No more covid admits. Stay home and die in place, even if you’re a Kardashian or play basketball. They’ll scuttle around with their money and their privilege looking for a bed, but that’s unavoidable. Hopefully they’ll be turned away. ...
I'm sure all the "right" people already have their prescription for and have picked up their malaria drug of choice.

Was walking through the living room a couple of nights ago and the wife had ET on. Some actor was saying he was almost dead and started taking the drug and it was great - he was cured. I was counting back on my fingers and he must have been taking it about 4 days before Trump talked about it.

So it's been used a lot more than it's been talked about.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 14:18   #50
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Mugwump, great to see you posting...you must have found some time. Hope you are well and hanging in there.

I disagree that there should be a ‘National triage,’ guidance maybe from one of the letter agencies CDC/NAIH/HHS but, I think triage should be at the lowest local level that fits within what the local level can sustain. Each place will have different needs and those needs will change over time.

The National level should be fully involved in supporting the state and local governments. When peaks and waves blow through one area the national level should be there to reposition, clean, and reissue resources that are needed elsewhere.

No one I ever knew wants the government to come in and tell you what to do. It causes chaos and duplication.

ETA: It’s going to be important to get ahead of the next local outbreak. If that’s random testing or early recognition and testing the government should remain laser focused to support the local medical community to keep it contained and not travel again. Especially as mass transit gets up and running again.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)

Last edited by Old Dog New Trick; 03-24-2020 at 14:26.
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 15:31   #51
mugwump
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post

No one I ever knew wants the government to come in and tell you what to do. It causes chaos and duplication.
I’m sure you’re right. I have zero experience or practical knowledge. But watching the Chinese/Italian/Spanish docs on video...they’re crushed flat and need some emotional backstopping or there are going to be a lot of drink/drug/suicides after this is all over. They shouldn’t have to pick winners and losers.

Yeah I’m pretty much done with my little role in all of this, at least for now. You know those girls wearing hoodies on the sidelines at college football games? The ones who squirt Gatorade in the mouths of the players who don’t have time to remove their helmets? I’m that girl lol. Minor role in the grand scheme of things.

Best of luck to you and yours, Dog.

“Klaatu barada nikto”
mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 15:49   #52
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I disagree that there should be a ‘National triage,’ guidance maybe from one of the letter agencies CDC/NAIH/HHS but, I think triage should be at the lowest local level that fits within what the local level can sustain. Each place will have different needs and those needs will change over time.

The National level should be fully involved in supporting the state and local governments. When peaks and waves blow through one area the national level should be there to reposition, clean, and reissue resources that are needed elsewhere.

There have been requests by states for just such direction and risk-transfer. I believe that the Feds are resisting for very much the same reason. There are going to be a myriad of Congressional Investigations after all this is said and done where the 'do-nothings" will call into question the actions of those that took charge and met the threat.

Brace for impact.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 15:53   #53
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
There have been requests by states for just such direction and risk-transfer. I believe that the Feds are resisting for very much the same reason. There are going to be a myriad of Congressional Investigations after all this is said and done where the 'do-nothings" will call into question the actions of those that took charge and met the threat.

Brace for impact.
Yep!

It’s always the fifth wave now. Isn’t it? (The blame someone else wave not find lessons learned and adopt new SOPs) I don’t know how many times I’ve heard the words “911 Commission like level investigation” and we haven’t even gotten through the first month.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)

Last edited by Old Dog New Trick; 03-24-2020 at 15:56.
Old 03-24-2020, 17:48   #54
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Does anyone who’s watched Gov Cuomo, give his press briefing update today find it strange that he’s complaining about not having enough (anything) while sitting in front of stacks and stacks of medical supplies?

It would be better if in the time he started the press briefing and when he finished the press briefing all those items were wheeled or carried off to delivery vehicles going out to the facilities that need them.

I don’t know, seemed like a bad backdrop for saying you don’t have these things.

Old 03-24-2020, 18:04   #55
5thgrp"C"
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Does anyone who’s watched Gov Cuomo, give his press briefing update today find it strange that he’s complaining about not having enough (anything) while sitting in front of stacks and stacks of medical supplies?

It would be better if in the time he started the press briefing and when he finished the press briefing all those items were wheeled or carried off to delivery vehicles going out to the facilities that need them.

I don’t know, seemed like a bad backdrop for saying you don’t have these things.
I think he let the media's coverage of him to get to his head. He's had a couple briefings where he blames his inability on the feds.
Old 03-24-2020, 22:22   #56
cat in the hat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgrp"C" View Post
I think he let the media's coverage of him to get to his head. He's had a couple briefings where he blames his inability on the feds.
I find it telling that he claims to need 30k respirators like nobody else does or will.
He is the government equivalent of a guy with a shopping cart full of toilet paper claiming that he's the only one about to have diarrhea.

American on the inside, useful on the outside

Last edited by cat in the hat; 03-24-2020 at 22:24.
cat in the hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:20   #57
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:

Considering that Gov Cuomo was on Hannity Radio last Thursday or Friday praising President Trump, Yes I am surprised. But since he is a politician I am not really surprised.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:41   #58
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:

States (and levels below) are fighting each other for limited supplies.

NYC is a shitshow folks... They've got issues.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:16   #59
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat in the hat View Post
I find it telling that he claims to need 30k respirators like nobody else does or will.
He is the government equivalent of a guy with a shopping cart full of toilet paper claiming that he's the only one about to have diarrhea.
You hit the nail on the head! Nobody needs 30k respirators! Not even remotely possible. Hyperbole reigns!
Old 03-25-2020, 11:46   #60
Hand
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:

Remember that Puerto Rico mayor complaining about not getting any help from the gov after Hurricane Maria?

I wonder what message Cuomo and whoever that lady was were trying to project?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SanJuanMayor.jpg (59.3 KB, 22 views)

"Fuck that - man up - kick over the podium, piss on the teleprompter, wave your dick at the TV cameras and drop the mic' as you walk off the stage. " - the QP formerly known as BillyLBach

Last edited by Hand; 03-25-2020 at 11:51.
Hand is offline   Reply With Quote