Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 10-23-2014, 20:20   #31
Lighthouse
Auxiliary

I can see your point with people liberals remaining consistent with liberals and republicans going back and forth on libertarian and republican.

Palliative eh? Well played sir.
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 20:38   #32
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
I can see your point with people liberals remaining consistent with liberals and republicans going back and forth on libertarian and republican.

Palliative eh? Well played sir.
Personally I don't think even 1 or 2 full cycles of voting is going to get close to changing anything substantial because of this marvelous transformation we've been on for awhile now. I'd vote libertarian in a viable situation in a NY minute. But I've personally seen the affect those candidacies often have; sad but true. We got 4 more years of a "I Loves My Taxes" dem governor before the current one (thank the stars for term limits) because a Libertarian split off just enough of the vote; individual known personally to me, owned a supper club right here in town. Told me afterward that it was the stupidest thing he'd ever done.

As a side note, I happened to catch CSPAN's replay of the CPUSA national meeting back in June, hosted at the University of Illinois (try to get over your shock). Sam Webb, their National Chair at the time, specifically stated that they gain no ground running candidates under their banner for the time being. He makes no bones about the fact that they are using the Democratic party to advance their agendas [now who's the "tool"?] until "we can take them further to some higher ground" and have wrapped themselves up in environmental causes. This is a great way to hamstring the evil capitalist monsters (and daily news accounts of the Enviro-cops bears this out).

One other tidbit useful if you ever get to a boring cocktail party or some outdoor bazaar with these CPUSA yay-hoos and want some entertainment - just mention the Koch Bros. or the Keystone Pipeline project and they will spin-up higher than an F1 engine. Man that guy was almost foaming at the mouth...

So if the Communists have learned not to squander votes in order to avoid drawing away from their current useful idiots...

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 22:08   #33
Lighthouse
Auxiliary

Personally I just struggle with doing the same thing again. Also that the supreme court ruled money is free speech and there are no limits on donations. How a currency is equal to something free is beyond me. I'm willing to bet both sides of the fence have the same backers.

I won't ever vote for a democrat though. The entire ideology is based on segregation and managing the poor and uneducated. Hopefully the republicans take the senate over the dems though. Just the fact they think anything Barry O does is good is enough justification to get rid of someone.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:53   #34
Pete
Quiet Professional

2008 NC Election results

Quote:
You guys really feel libertarian votes are wasted votes?
2008 NC Election results

Obama 2,142,651

McCain 2,128,474

Difference 14,177

The press loved to say NC had turned Blue. But Barr ran as a Libertarian.

His total 25,722

It's fixin' to happen again this year between Hagan, Tillis and Haugh. Haugh? Who's Haugh? Haugh is the Libertarian who's pulling 2% to 7% of the vote depending on the source you read.

The Libertarians (I have two in the extended family) don't really give a shit about who wins - they just want 2% of the vote in NC so they have an easier time getting on the ballot.

Romney 2,270,395

Obama 2,178,391

Gray (L) 44,515 (0.99%)

Write in 12,071 (0.27%)
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:10   #35
Marlboro
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
2008 NC Election results

Obama 2,142,651

McCain 2,128,474

Difference 14,177

The press loved to say NC had turned Blue. But Barr ran as a Libertarian.

His total 25,722

It's fixin' to happen again this year between Hagan, Tillis and Haugh. Haugh? Who's Haugh? Haugh is the Libertarian who's pulling 2% to 7% of the vote depending on the source you read.

The Libertarians (I have two in the extended family) don't really give a shit about who wins - they just want 2% of the vote in NC so they have an easier time getting on the ballot.

Romney 2,270,395

Obama 2,178,391

Gray (L) 44,515 (0.99%)

Write in 12,071 (0.27%)
libertarians tend to take almost as many votes away from the left, as right. Currently in South Carolina, there is a 'Independent Republican' Ervin. Ervin roughly is taking 1 out of every 6 votes from the Democratic candidate for Governor. The left blames Ralph Nader for Gore losing in 2000. Pete is on point as always.. Tillis very can lose a race he should by just a few votes going to the Libertarian candidate.
Marlboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:48   #36
Pete
Quiet Professional

Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlboro View Post
libertarians tend to take almost as many votes away from the left, as right. Currently in South Carolina, there is a 'Independent Republican' Ervin. Ervin roughly is taking 1 out of every 6 votes from the Democratic candidate for Governor. The left blames Ralph Nader for Gore losing in 2000. Pete is on point as always.. Tillis very can lose a race he should by just a few votes going to the Libertarian candidate.
Yeah, I keep hearing that all over the place but haven't seen any statistics to back it up.

Heard plenty of Conservative say "I'm pissed off at Republicans, I'm voting third party". Haven't hear any Lib's say "I'm pissed off at Democrats, I'm voting Libertarian."
Old 10-24-2014, 08:40   #37
Lighthouse
Auxiliary

Quote:
Yeah, I keep hearing that all over the place but haven't seen any statistics to back it up.

Heard plenty of Conservative say "I'm pissed off at Republicans, I'm voting third party". Haven't hear any Lib's say "I'm pissed off at Democrats, I'm voting Libertarian."
I agree. Democrats are very much a cult.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:57   #38
Marlboro
Asset

Quote:

It isn't they are pissed off, it's they are simply arguing against what they consider "corporatists, and warhawks." The fringe right, and left, overlap on the political spectrum at a certain point.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:42   #39
Pete
Quiet Professional

Do you....

Quote:
It isn't they are pissed off, it's they are simply arguing against what they consider "corporatists, and warhawks." The fringe right, and left, overlap on the political spectrum at a certain point.
Do you have any type of survey to back that up?

I'll post this pre election Poll

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/doc...age_102314.pdf

The Governor poll seems to back your view - but the Senator poll backs mine. Nothing counts but on election day.

Is interesting that a Carter is running.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:27   #40
Marlboro
Asset

Quote:
Do you have any type of survey to back that up?

I'll post this pre election Poll

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/doc...age_102314.pdf

The Governor poll seems to back your view - but the Senator poll backs mine. Nothing counts but on election day.

Is interesting that a Carter is running.
Check this out --
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...-secret-emails

It shows the disconnect between the 'base' of the left, and the progressive fringe.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:38   #41
Pete
Quiet Professional

I didn't see

Quote:
Check this out --

It shows the disconnect between the 'base' of the left, and the progressive fringe.
I didn't see "Libertarian" or "Republican" in that story.

I did see voting for maybe Warren over Clinton in the primary and going Green or sitting it out in the general.

Keep looking.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:26   #42
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Check this out --

Thanks for that link to remind me of another name dropped in that speech I referenced by the CPUSA Chair that he liked: Elizabeth Warren.

Pretty wild Google group that one; I'll bet they're celebrating those emails going public so the NSA aren't the only ones to have them. Wonder how the Billary Empire's daughter runs with this now that she's been made a full-partner & "in charge."

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:22   #43
Guy
Quiet Professional

Question Who are you?

Quote:
You guys are crazy. You don't even seem to understand that every individual that has the title -- "Quiet Professional" on here is a political goldmine. This is what I dislike about a lot of folks, they don't see the best way to change the system, is be the system.

Don't like the education system? Run for school board.

Don't like allocation of resources in your town? Run for mayor/city council/alderman.

Come on guys, you've spent your entire career watching you & your buddies 6, and thinking on the fly. What you take for granted, MOST of the folks running pay a team for.

I'm so tired of having half the armed services committee having never served, and a congress that doesn't want to give pay raises to the troops.

I'm just saying...

You make a statement of what, QPs should do politically however, have you ever walked in our shoes?

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:18   #44
Marlboro
Asset

Quote:
I didn't see "Libertarian" or "Republican" in that story.

I did see voting for maybe Warren over Clinton in the primary and going Green or sitting it out in the general.

Keep looking.

Pete, here is you a study:http://publicreligion.org/research/2...values-survey/

Read this for further information on the connectivity:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HTQ31TA?btkr=1

Feel free to message me, I'd be more than happy to discuss this topic at length. Unfortunately, I don't check the message board regularly.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:47   #45
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
You guys really feel libertarian votes are wasted votes?
Votes are never wasted. They either help someone get elected or prevent someone from being elected.

If in an area, the Libertarian party is a major party and viable, then they have a chance of direct influence.

If they are a minor party and organized they can parley influence with a major party. If unorganized, they tend to just be spoilers.

e.g. The Green party is organized and directly influences the DEM party during the Primary. They cannot vote during the Primary, but they effectively influence the DEM party in their party's pick for the General.

IMO, Libertarians need to put down the Cheetos and get organized.

Personally, I feel that Libertarians belong in the GOP tent.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote