Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 5th Special Forces Group

Old 02-09-2005, 12:12   #16
TerribleTobyt
Quiet Professional

I had no such auspicious beginnings as other of my SF Brothers. 9 months as a Leg Spoon, followed by another year waiting for Jump School.

Whats that old saying, it takes a man to admit mistakes, it takes a Real Man to admit to mistakes before Millions!!!!!

Joe Walker, 1-0, RT California
TerribleTobyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 20:57   #17
lurch
Quiet Professional

In 1969 there was an SF recruiter waiting at Fort Ord ( and other basic training post I presume) for those who had scored well on the basic entry tests. He (an SFC in Khakis with a chest full of decorations and wearing a Green Beret) came in front of the formation called out a few names of individuals to take a battery of tests to determine if they would be suited for SF Training. Therefore, my career path was Basic, AIT 12B, Parachute training and then to Phase 1 of the Q course. Completed Phase 3 in May of 70 and in August I was at CCN in Recon Co.

Of course I see now that things have changed and I admire those that are now becoming qualified as they really are "the best of the best of the best"
lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 22:03   #18
SFRADIOMAN
Quiet Professional

My brother was SF in 64 - 66 and as I enlisted in Jan 66, I enlisted strictly for SF. I had to do basic, AIT and then jump school all of which took 6 months and I reported to Bragg on my 20th birthday. Spent the next 2 1/2 years in SF.

Joe L.
SFRADIOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 13:18   #19
TheCommoDude
Asset

I think this would be the appropriate place for me to post, I'm already introduced. There have been several factors that ultimately led me to the conclusion that I want to be a special forces soldier. For one, judging from the quality of new soldiers arriving at my unit as we're gearing up for deployment reinforces my thoughts that I want to be with the best people I can be when the shit hits the fan or period. Secondly, being of middle eastern decent, and having a basic grasp of Arabic (which I'm improving daily with Rosetta Stone) I think that I could be a valuable asset to whatever team I'm assigned to, not to mention that I have a burning desire to have an active part in rebuilding Iraq (i.e. helping to train their security forces.) I guess it's obvious that I want to go to 5th group...

Although it's a dream of mine (possibly a little bit of an obsession) to earn a green beret, I put the majority of my plans on hold to get ready for 15 months in Baghdad. For the time being I'm going to be lurking around the site, which I gotta say is awsome, and gleaning as much knowledge as I can.
TheCommoDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 16:32   #20
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

4 years Rgr Bn in a rifle platoon, 1 year 101st as a SL in the same.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 16:42   #21
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

ZERO "conventional time". SF ALL THE WAY for 15 years.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 16:52   #22
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

My first 14 months in the Army I didn't have a patch on my uniform. Basic, Jump School, Phase one and Two. Then a two point question I got wrong was mysteriously discovered. In a test I took months before. Finished Phase Two with 699 points. Was sent packing to the 82nd for two years. They didn't like privates back then
Returned to the Q-Course and passed. I wasn't the only one. All the privates that finished Phase Two with a little over the required 700 points. Had all their test reviewed. No test review for people a little under 700 points. About six of us were re-graded to put us under the 700 points. No recycles were given. Bad deal for a lot of guys back then
When I did go back one of the other privates in this group was in the same class as me, small world. We both passed the second time. We both returned for the same reason. To finish what we started years before.
Years later a medic with the same first and last name as him was in Somalia. Helped treat the crew members at the first crash sight. He fast roped in after the crash. Pretty sure it was the same guy. Not a common last name.
Old 05-22-2007, 17:19   #23
Hipshot
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch
In 1969 there was an SF recruiter waiting at Fort Ord ( and other basic training post I presume) for those who had scored well on the basic entry tests. He (an SFC in Khakis with a chest full of decorations and wearing a Green Beret) came in front of the formation called out a few names of individuals to take a battery of tests to determine if they would be suited for SF Training. Therefore, my career path was Basic, AIT 12B, Parachute training and then to Phase 1 of the Q course. Completed Phase 3 in May of 70 and in August I was at CCN in Recon Co.

Of course I see now that things have changed and I admire those that are now becoming qualified as they really are "the best of the best of the best"

Sounds like the same guy that recruited me in April, 1970. First day in the reception center at Ft Ord was spent taking tests. That night, the CQ runner came to four of us and were told to report to the SF recruiter the following morning. The line he used on us was that since SF had been withdrawn from VN (after a double agent was executed or so the story went), we would not be going to VN like the rest of our BCT class. Seems the needs of the service overrode enlistment contracts and everyone was going 11B (I was going to be a 95C). We were tested again, I volunteered, stayed at Ord for 11B AIT, and watched my AIT company head to Oakland for VN while I headed to Benning. Made it to VN in Dec 71 with the FANK program.
11F4S - S/Sgt, B/2/12th SFG(A)
a.k.a. Sheep Dog Daddy

God whispers in your soul and speaks to your mind.
Sometimes when you don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick at you.
It's your choice: Listen to the whisper, or wait for the brick.

Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 18:19   #24
incommin
Quiet Professional

Enlisted for airborne medic. Was going to go submarines in the Navy but my uncle was a SGM in the 101st and after he called and asked if I really wanted to spend 6 months at a time under water with a bunch of men, I went Army!

Finished basic at Ft Polk, got to AIT at Ft Sam and was called to talk to an SF recruiter the first week I was there. Left Ft Sam for Ft Bragg where I met some guys who taught me more than I realized for a long time!

Jim

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

Jim
incommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:38   #25
FILO
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz
My first 14 months in the Army I didn't have a patch on my uniform. Basic, Jump School, Phase one and Two. Then a two point question I got wrong was mysteriously discovered. In a test I took months before. Finished Phase Two with 699 points. Was sent packing
to Europe on levy ended with a Pathfinder unit, served there 3 years. ETSd to B/1/11, served on a team as a NQP but had to decide between returning to the Q or finish up my undergraduate degree and get married. I chose the latter, which to this day is about the only thing in life I regret.
FILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 14:07   #26
Abu Jack
Quiet Professional

7 years. 2nd ID Korea, 9th ID, 25th ID. When I ran out of challenges in the conventional army, I went looking for them in SF.
Quote:
Is there any upside to having your squad taken over by somebody else in that last year?

Since I do not have the experience, this obviously is probably not how it works, but the thought I had was that the presence of the previous leader who shows respect and helps integrate into the group the new squad leader, could thus get the team homestead with the new leader faster and, perhaps, further motivate (by the presence of another one pushing ahead).

I understand that there can be other nasty happenings during the wait or application, but another thread was pretty thorough on that. Please disregard this if it is a dumb question.
It is a dumb question but I'll answer it because you might learn something that will help you out in the future.

There is this principle in the military called "unity of command" It means one person in charge. The last thing a new leader wants is the last guy hanging around giving "advice". The new leader needs to get in, evaluate and take charge. Once you get replaced, butt the f*&k out and move on.

Abu Jack Out
Abu Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:48   #27
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

6 1/2 years in the Signal Corp (Hey, I'm a Commo guy)...Korea, Ft Bragg, Berlin, Germany...
I was a section chief when I talked to the recruiter and started training for selection. My command thought is was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I was allowed maximum opportunities for PT (AM, Afternoon and evening sessions) as long as I checked on my troops and kept the weekly reports, etc on time and correct. Getting trained up on Berlin was a challenge but you do what you have to do in order to get the job done.

Heard stories, mostly from the combat-arms guys, about the dreaded "blacklist" once deciding to go to selection....

My .02, if your replacement shows up, he is just that. Show him where the bodies are buried and move out...

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:16   #28
bost1751
Quiet Professional

A SF baby. No conventional time.
bost1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:33   #29
x SF med
Quiet Professional

4 yrs ROTC/SMP got released, Then enlisted with an SF Option. SMP was not considered Reserve time in the late 70's early 80's until you got your early commission or reserve commission. Glad I went the way I went, no matter if I dropped rank, I gained a lot more than rank in SF.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 17:38   #30
lksteve
Quiet Professional

not unlike NDD and others, i went to the 82nd, got out (spent time in the COARNG in an SF unit) and reentered the Army to serve in SF....after OCS, i spent 1 year in the 509th and transferred to 1/10 in Bad Toelz...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote