Quiet Professional

"VIETNAMESE Parachute Badge"

I received this documented information from
Department of the Army
Army Review Boards Agency
Board for the correction of Military Records
1901 South Bell Street 2nd Floor
Arlington, VA. 22202-4508

On November 26, 2007 The Army Board for Correction of Military Records rendered a decision on your application to correct your military records: Page 6, Discussion and Conclusions: item no.3 Evidence of record showes that the applicant completed the Republic of Vietnam Special Forces Parachute training on 24 May 1964. HOWEVER, Army Regulation 635-5 states that training courses for combat skills will not be listed in item 29 of the DD Form 214.
Paragraph no.4. The "Vietnamese Parachute Badge" is not listed in Army Regulation 600-8-22 as an authorized award and therefore it is not authorized foe entry on the DD Form 214. More importantly, there is no evidence to show that the Republic of Vietnam awarded to him or, if it was awarded to him, that the proper authorities authorized him to accept and wear it.
The U S Army Special Forces Vietnam Provisional later to become the th Special Forces Group taught The Airborne Parachute Course including making parachute jumps with the South Vietnamese Special Forces (LLDB). NO AMERICAN CIVILAN or MILITARY personal were in these classes.
Since The Vietnamese Parachute Badge is not listed on my DD 214 I DO NOT and Never have worn it....Documentation avaiable upon request.
May Be the Marines have different critera....Regard's, Tom Kelly
P S: while on this subject; another point of history is often misrepesented. The only combat jump made during the Vietnam War was Operation Junction City. It took place mid-morning hrs. Feb.22,1967 west of Kotum in the Tay Ninh area. The Jump Manifest lists 845 names ,ranks, and Army serial numbers. The Drop Zone was SECURE there were other american paratroopers,Pathfinders on the ground before the green light went on at 0900 hrs.The names on the jump manifest are on-line Jump Manifest of Junction City and the site is up-dated constantly by The 173 Airborne Birgade Association. Over the years I have met people who claimed to have made that combat jump; BUT, their names are NOT listed on the manifest.I personally know one of the people on the manifese Pfc. Joseph P. Bayne
tom kelly is offline   Reply With Quote