Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 11-09-2015, 11:20   #1
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

University of Missouri President resigns

This reads like some crazy novel.

From the September election of Student Body President Payton Head, who posted a Facebook rant about every imaginable slight, to social media generated protests to the university president resigning in Nov.

They made short work of this effort...

This is the screed that started it all....

Quote:
WARNING: EXPLICIT LANGUAGE: I just want to say how extremely hurt and disappointed I am. Last night as I walking through campus, some guys riding on the back of a pickup truck decided that it would be okay to continuously scream N***r at me. I really just want to know why my simple existence is such a threat to society. For those of you who wonder why I’m always talking about the importance of inclusion and respect, it’s because I’ve experienced moments like this multiple times at THIS university, making me not feel included here. Many of you are so privileged that you’ll never know what it feels like to be a hijab-wearing Muslim woman and be called a terrorist or a towel head. You don’t have to think about being transgender and worrying about finding a restroom where you can go and not be targeted for violence because you don’t fit into the gender binary. You’ll never know what it feels like to see Memorial Union every day and enter the side like a second class citizen because after 90 years, there’s still no accessible way to enter the tower. You’ve never been spit on walking down 9th street or mis-gendered at Pizza Tree because they called out your birth name. You’ve never had to experience people throwing drinks on you and yelling FAGGOT at you from the patio at Big 12 as you walk past on the street holding hands with your partner. You might never had to think twice about what you’re wearing walking around campus at night so that someone won’t think it’s okay to take ownership of your body because your outfit was “asking for it.” If your simple existence is not a political statement I’m really going to need for you to check your privilege. These are some of my experiences and the experiences of the ones closest to me. This is what I’m fighting against every day in boardrooms, conferences, meetings, classrooms, the Capitol, and in my daily life. This is my reality. Is it weird that I think that I have the right to feel safe here too? If you see violence like this and don’t say anything, you, yes YOU, are a part of the problem. It’s the reason why It’s On Us, Black Lives Matter, Trans Rights are Human Rights, and love is ****ing love. If you want to fight for social change at Mizzou there are so many different outlets. Apply to be a Diversity Peer Educator, stop by any of our wonderful centers of social justice. Educate yourselves and others. Hold your family, friends, fraternity brothers and sorority sisters accountable. And if this post made you feel uncomfortable, GOOD! That means I’m doing my job. It’s time to wake up Mizzou.

Your N****r/Faggot Missouri Students Association President,

Payton Head
This seems almost too effective to not have outside coordination/guidance.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:40   #2
Guy
Quiet Professional

Unhappy LMMFAO!!!!!!!

Some of these folks better stay in the U.S.A.!

Travel over to Africa and the Middle East and experience some
"real" racist name calling.....

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:52   #3
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Only here can a gay black man be elected to student body president and homecoming king and still successfully claim a hostile enough environment to fabricate a protest.

The demands of the protest group:

I. We demand that the University of Missouri System President, Tim Wolfe, writes a handwritten apology to the Concerned Student 1-*9-*5-0 demonstrators and holds a press conference in the Mizzou Student Center reading the letter. In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white male privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exist, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1-9-5-*0 demands. We want Tim Wolfe to admit to his gross negligence, allowing his driver to hit one of the demonstrators, consenting to the physical violence of bystanders, and lastly refusing to intervene when Columbia Police Department used excessive force with demonstrators.

II. We demand the immediate removal of Tim Wolfe as UM system president. After his removal a new amendment to UM system policies must be established to have all future UM system president and Chancellor positions be selected by a collective of students, staff, and faculty of diverse backgrounds.

III. We demand that the University of Missouri meets the Legion of Black Collegians' demands that were presented in 1969 for the betterment of the black community.

IV. We demand that the University of Missouri creates and enforces comprehensive racial awareness and inclusion curriculum throughout all campus departments and units, mandatory for all students, faculty, staff, and administration. This curriculum must be vetted, maintained, and overseen by a board comprised of students, staff, and faculty of color.

V. We demand that by the academic year 2017-2018, the University of Missouri increases the percentage of black faculty and staff campus-wide to 10%.

VI. We demand that the University of Missouri composes a strategic 10 year plan by May 1, 2016 that will increase retention rates for marginalized students, sustain diversity curriculum and training, and promote a more safe and inclusive campus.

VII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding and resources for the University of Missouri Counseling Center for the purpose of hiring additional mental health professionals -- particularly those of color, boosting mental health outreach and programming across campus, increasing campus-*wide awareness and visibility of the counseling center, and reducing lengthy wait times for prospective clients.

VIII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding, resources, and personnel for the social justices centers on campus for the purpose of hiring additional professionals, particularly those of color, boosting outreach and programming across campus, and increasing campus-*wide awareness and visibility.

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 11-09-2015 at 12:54.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:59   #4
Guy
Quiet Professional

LBGTQ on a roll....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Only here can a gay black man be elected to student body president and homecoming king and still successfully claim a hostile enough environment to fabricate a protest.
You beat me to it!

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Old 11-09-2015, 12:31   #5
cbtengr
Area Commander

I guess the inmates are in charge of the asylum at Mizzou. I can see the same thing happening at the University of Iowa, the new president at Iowa is not a scholar he comes from the business world and he has been under attack from all sides since he was named. This sets quite a precedent with this resignation. It is not a perfect world for any of us regardless of our backgrounds.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:46   #6
ddoering
Quiet Professional

He should have done a hand-written note telling them all to fuck off and that they are expelled.
ddoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 13:04   #7
blacksmoke
Like My Mankini?

OK? Why is this wrong? I can't possibly see walking around being called the N word and being screamed at threatening...Or that there is real racism in Missouri...
blacksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 13:17   #8
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmoke View Post
OK? Why is this wrong? I can't possibly see walking around being called the N word and being screamed at threatening...Or that there is real racism in Missouri...
I think the issue is with the demands that the president resign over the behavior of the students, along with the demands that the president acknowledge his white privilege and personally take responsibility for perceived institutional discrimination.

There is also concern about the precedent that a vocal minority can oust the administration of a state university and whether this is the best course of action to improve things.

What happens if another heterosexual cis-gendered white male is selected to replace the resigning president?
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 13:33   #9
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Delete.

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 11-09-2015 at 13:43.
Old 11-09-2015, 13:59   #10
blacksmoke
Like My Mankini?

This list of demands is like Trump's campaign promises. I think what all these people involved really want is to not be treated like crap. Yeah, acknowledge your white privilege because I was treated bad. To ask for the resignation of the head of an entity where bad things occur, and seem to keep occurring, I don't see it as a mutiny by a small minority.
Old 11-09-2015, 14:09   #11
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Where does one begin..?

I guess I'm stereotypically privileged because I had no desire to be a foaming at the mouth, flaming, cross-dressing, bi-sexual, gender-confused, race and culturally challenged, anti-establishment person growing up in America, or anywhere else.

Confused? I'm not the one who's confused. They 'had' a name for this in the DSM before they changed it, and dating back to at least Sigmond Freud, and Carl Jung. They'd have enrolled this person where he, no; she, no; it belongs. An institution for special snowflakes.

What's this poor poor person to do when "it" finishes school and assimilates into the real world? (Oh, I know "Reality TV")

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 14:14   #12
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
To ask for the resignation of the head of an entity where bad things occur, and seem to keep occurring, I don't see it as a mutiny by a small minority.
Could you provide examples of those bad things that keep happening at Mizzou?

I see the Mizzou population diversity and have to wonder? How much racism in present in a university with 8% blacks yet a gay black man gets elected to student body president a homecoming king.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mizzou.jpg (103.4 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 11-09-2015 at 14:18.
Old 11-09-2015, 14:17   #13
Guy
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmoke View Post
This list of demands is like Trump's campaign promises. I think what all these people involved really want is to not be treated like crap. Yeah, acknowledge your white privilege because I was treated bad. To ask for the resignation of the head of an entity where bad things occur, and seem to keep occurring, I don't see it as a mutiny by a small minority.
If you think blacks are treated like crap here in the United States?

GO OVER TO THE MIDDLE EAST and AFRICA....

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Old 11-09-2015, 14:37   #14
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
If you think blacks are treated like crap here in the United States?

GO OVER TO THE MIDDLE EAST and AFRICA....
Sorry Guy - that doesn't count because in Africa they're doing it to themselves and in the ME, it's only been since the 60's that they quit (officially) selling them. Let's not forget the pervasive thuggery blacks here in the US inflict on their own communities. It's only oppression when whitey does it.

Some fascinating reading: http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/2195...iel-greenfield
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 15:12   #15
blacksmoke
Like My Mankini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Could you provide examples of those bad things that keep happening at Mizzou?

I see the Mizzou population diversity and have to wonder? How much racism in present in a university with 8% blacks yet a gay black man gets elected to student body president a homecoming king.....
Well there's these anecdotes:" In October, a person used feces to draw a swastika on a wall in one of the residence halls, and in the spring, there was a "similar use of anti-Semitic language and symbolism" at another residence hall, according to Residence Halls Association president Billy Donley, who said in a letter he was upset that most students were unaware of the incident.

In another recent incident, a group of African-American students complained that a school safety officer didn't aggressively pursue an apparently drunken white student who disrupted their gathering using a racial slur."

And I imagine if the most popular guys on any campus are willing to not play a game, risk their scholarships etc, and their coach is in on it there is likely a large problem. I doubt the football team is siding with the Chelsea Manning of Mizzou...