Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 05-13-2008, 18:33   #1
Air.177
Quiet Professional

More Gear Ramblings of an uneducated Civilian

As a follow up to my previous Post in this section, I present : Air.177's completely subjective look at gear I like part II

Some of these things I have touched on in the past , some may be new here, at any rate, Here's what I've got.

Asolo Boots

Powermatic 200 Gore Tex Hikers

I snagged these and another model of Asolos at a Cabela's "Garage Sale" back in Late February/ early March. I have worn these nearly every day since then, and they have replaced my Re-soled Desert Acadias as my daily footwear of choice. When teamed with Superfeet insoles and Smartwool socks of various flavors; I find these to be absolutely outstanding in terms of comfort, support, environmental protection, and overall toughness. The Other Asolos I snagged are good as well, but the sizing is a bit off and thus, these bad boys see their share of use +.

Surefire

E1B Back Up

I saw this light Debuted at the '08 SHOT show and knew I had to have one. Powered by a single standard Surefire 123 3 Volt Lithium Battery, this light features two levels of brightness, alternating intensity every other click of the tailcap. I like the compact size of this light, and the dual position pocket clip that allows for head down carry unlike previous models. I like the dual levels of intensity offered in this model, but I am not crazy about the switching system and would prefer the "dual stage" tailcap previously used in the L1/L2/Aviator models to the current alternating configuration. All in all, a good light but I feel it will likely be replaced in the surefire line up relatively quickly only time will tell.

X300
This model has replaced both models of the X200 in Surefire's weaponlight line up. I have mine mounted on a LaRue Tactical LT619 QD mount and mounted onto the forend of my house gun. This light is no larger than the X200 it replaced but provides much more impressive performance, and while I have not personally shot anyone in the face while using it, I am very pleased with it's light output from such a compact light source. Mine is fitted with a dual purpose tailcap (standard rocker switch/Tape switch socket) with Master disable Toggle that I understand has been discontinued by Surefire. Despite the fact that it has been disco'd, I find it to be excellent and have heard rumblings that it is being improved.

Surefire MB556AR Muzzle Brake/Suppressor Adaptor

I'm a simple caveman gun monkey, but I like this product. I find this to be an incredibly effective muzzle brake that also allows attachment of one of Surefire's superlative sound suppressors. This brake is the most effective *real world* muzzle device that I have personally used. (Remember, I'm not a high speed low drag, door kicking, dirty-bearded-man face shooting bubba, but I have seen/shot more than my fair share of muzzle devices aimed at the "tactical"/competition market) This brake allows follow up shots like you wouldn't believe. Now, all this being said, I could see some negatives: it is LOUD, like "Holy Mary Mother of God, what did that asshole in the next bay just torch off" loud, but it isn't as bad for the shooter, just bystanders I would not in all of my life want to touch off a rifle equipped with one of these in an enclosed area. Also, in certain alternate prone positions, this brake can create a dust signature that would have to be seen to be believed. All in all, I have my pick of the muzzle devices on the market and I now have these on all of the rifles that I own that they may be mounted on.

ESS

CDI Sunglasses
I bought a pair of these about 2 years ago and have liked the hell out of them. after about a year and a half, I had one of the nose pieces come off and never made time to glue it back on, pretty much sidelined the glasses at that point. Fastforward to SHOT '08, I happen to walk by the ESS booth and remember to stop and say hey; I give em the rundown on my problem, and they hand me a new pair of glasses and tell me to enjoy and thanks for the business. I find this to be above and beyond customer service and I am back to wearing their product pretty much daily.

V12 Advancer Goggles
I was issued a pair of these by my VFD Chief a while back for use on Wildland stuff. It took me a bit to get them to fit my funky shaped head to my liking, but now that I cracked the code, they are absolutely the heat. I've used them from the fireline to the back of the brush truck at 80 mph to a dirt bike out in the sticks and I have liked the hell out of these so far.

That's all i've got at the moment, but I'll be adding to this post as more comes to mind.

Hit me up if you have any questions.

HTH
YMMV

Good times,
Blake
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote