Old 08-03-2015, 05:04   #16
fred111
Quiet Professional

I use a macbook air and have windows 7 loaded using Parallels. It works great.

On Saturday I uploaded Windows 10. Took about a half hour. It was completely unstable. I used the revert to Windows 7 option and am now using Windows 7 again.

I agree. I'll keep away from Windows 10 until they completely debug it.
fred111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:18   #17
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpoole View Post
if you have a license key you should be able to download win 7 and install it.
We do and it only worked in about half of the test computers. It was the beta test version that they sent the .gov so I hope they fixed it. I was not empressed.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:10   #18
Sdiver
Area Commander

FVCK IT !!!!
I had enough and went back to Win7.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:41   #19
(1VB)compforce
Guerrilla Chief

Here's an app that makes controlling *most* of the privacy problems easier.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/08/...?intcmp=hphz08

There are still a few things that have to be done outside of the OS like delisting yourself from ad tracking, but this gets most of them.
(1VB)compforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:53   #20
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Thanks for starting this thread SDiver.

I have been experiencing difficulty installing. After reading all the comments here, I am going to wait. Need a new computer anyway and then I will have the IT provider check out the settings. I am definitely concerned about the security and information collection some of you have mentioned.

SF_BHT, Please send me a PM and let me know when your Agency makes a determination about W10 in the future. I think I will follow your lead on this one.
Old 08-06-2015, 16:43   #21
Javadrinker
Guerrilla

So .. you do not remember win95, win98, win2k ... lol

I have a qualified domain and I will not upgrade until closer to the end of the free upgrade.
I will upgrade one laptop that is outside of the domain, just to see....hell I prefer netware to ms anyday ..
Javadrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:27   #22
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dame View Post
Here here. It's now popping up in my toolbar at the bottom of the screen. They don't have a "go suck a rock" reply on it though.
Couple ways to get rid of that.

You can "uninstall KB3035583" (search term for you), which is the malware from MS that placed that inserted that insidious thing on your system and runs a program called GWX.exe -

or you can get a utility from someplace like here that is already po'd enough to have automated that process. (it works)

Note that if you uninstall their KB in the first option you should go into system & security, search AGAIN for the same patch, and configure it to hide notifications.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 19:44   #23
Stobey
Guerrilla Chief

Anyone using, or going back to Windows 7 or 8 should realize that Microsoft is slipping some of their malware onto your computer via their "automatic updates".

I also saw the "Install Windows 10" suddenly present on my taskbar one morning.

To prevent Microsoft from further buggering your computer, go to:
* Control Panel
* System and Security
* Windows Update
* Turn Automatic Updating On or Off

Under "Important Updates" there is a drop-down menu that allows you to select anything from "Allow automatic updates" to "Never check for updates"

I chose the "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"

* Save your changes

(Note: Microsoft is offering Windows 10 as a free upgrade to Windows 7 and Windows 8 users. "All the better to track you with my dear.")

To remove the ominous-looking "Windows 10" download icon from your taskbar:

* Go to Control Panel
* Select "Appearance and Personalization"
* Select "Taskbar and Start Menu"
* Select "Customize"

Look at the options. There you will find "GWX".
On the right side is a drop down menu.

* Select "Hide Icon and Notification"
* Save your changes

That will remove that obnoxious "Windows 10" download icon from your taskbar.

My computer had had the "Windows Update" option set to perform automatic updates - the default. Then, a few months ago, I saw various "TEMP" sub-folders under the Windows sub-folder on the main drive. I looked into it and found numerous *.tmp files, all with a "padlock" icon on them. I imagine if I looked hard enough, I might also find such anomalies outside of the Windows sub-folder.

Normally, sub-folders labeled "TEMP", and particularly files with a *.tmp extension were never "locked" or inaccessible to the user - or at least to the administrator. They are now. I didn't like the looks of it; but in order to change this, I would need to re-install Windows 7 from scratch and disable Windows updates.

No, I do not like the idea that Microsoft thinks that just because you are running their operating system software, they have the "right" to go into your computer, snoop around, and send the results of what are found back to Microsoft. As far as I am concerned, anyone who downloads Windows 10 onto their computer is opting for an awful lot of "spyware" for a few added features, and is definitely not worth the security loss.
Old 08-27-2015, 22:17   #24
Dame
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
Couple ways to get rid of that.

You can "uninstall KB3035583" (search term for you), which is the malware from MS that placed that inserted that insidious thing on your system and runs a program called GWX.exe -

or you can get a utility from someplace like here that is already po'd enough to have automated that process. (it works)

Note that if you uninstall their KB in the first option you should go into system & security, search AGAIN for the same patch, and configure it to hide notifications.
Kick ass. Thanks for that.