Old 08-04-2011, 12:06   #1
bw1776
Asset

Another xray question

Hey guys. I swear I searched for x-ray, B-team, x-ray B-team, etc. I found out what a B-team is, but that's not what I was looking for. If you would answer this I'd really appreciate it, if not don't worry about. If you are an xray and get selected, complete all the training, etc. are you put on a B-team then work your way up to an A-team? I'm not saying a B-team is any less then an A-team, I'm just not sure how it works. From what I've researched and found they're kind of different jobs really, as far as one being the support unit to the other.

Thanks guy,
Wil
bw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:56   #2
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Slots on the ODA/ODB are filled based on priority and sometimes guys go from the schoolhouse to the ODB.

18X's are no different in this aspect.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:59   #3
wet dog

ODA, (A Team), 12 guys, they are commanded by a CPT. The XO is an officer also, sometimes a 1LT*, most likely a WO. 10 remaining soldiers are enlisted. 8 of them hold MOSs 18B, 18C, 18D, 18E. 2 soldiers hold an MOS of 18F, one is the INTEL SGT, the other, the Team Sergeant.

ODB, (B Team). It is commanded by the company commander, who also oversees the (6) ODAs under his charge. He is a Major, and experienced ODA leader. His XO is a Capt, sometimes a WO. His Team Sergeant is the company Sergeant Major. The ODB has well experienced 18 series enlisted soldiers, but also employees supply sergeants, NBC NCO, Admins to interface with BN S1, specialty teams, etc.

* The SF officer role on ODA has changed many times over the years. In sort, an ODA will employee 2 officers, one each to command the team in a split team design. That is why there are two for each SF MOS.

Hope that answered your question, remain safe, focus on the 25M target.

Last edited by wet dog; 08-04-2011 at 19:22.
Old 08-04-2011, 17:53   #4
Priest
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw1776 View Post
I found out what a B-team is, but that's not what I was looking for.
Nobody ever does...
Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:34   #5
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest View Post
Nobody ever does...
Now that was funny.

But I'll play Santa on this one...
Ideally....The ODB or B Tm handles the support and administrative duties for the company. There's generally 15 people on the B Tm, that's made up of a couple of officers, a warrent, and about a dozen enlisted guys (by TO&E anyways). Their job is to help the ODA's prep for deployments, work as SOCCEs, operate the AOB, etc.

From the Team Room's perspective...it takes 6 A teams to support a B Team; 18 A Teams, and three B Teams to support a C team; etc..
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 16:11   #6
bw1776
Asset

Thanks guys, appreciate the answers. Stay safe.
bw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 16:26   #7
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Shouldn't be on a B Team until you have done your time on an A Team. How else would you know how to support your Teams (the true function of a B Team)?

Of course, if you are a a supreme douchebag, you might end up on one quicker.
Old 08-07-2011, 17:53   #8
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
Shouldn't be on a B Team until you have done your time on an A Team. How else would you know how to support your Teams (the true function of a B Team)?

Of course, if you are a a supreme douchebag, you might end up on one quicker.
I'll disagree with that.

18E's and D's will often find themselves working on a B-Team first. I fell in this example as a new 18E. It actually worked to my benefit, as I was mentored by a senior E prior to moving down the hallway to an ODA. This also allowed the ODA's to get to know my personality, strengths and weaknesses. At the end of my first deployment I had a job with an ODA who wanted me on their team. Good place to learn the ropes before standing on the five yard line IMO.

Bottom Line Last, don't be affeared of the ODB, unless you begin to homestead there,,,

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 18:04   #9
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue02hd View Post
I'll disagree with that.
You can disagree, but it doesn't make you any less wrong.
Old 08-07-2011, 21:30   #10
head
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue02hd View Post
I'll disagree with that.

18E's and D's will often find themselves working on a B-Team first. I fell in this example as a new 18E. It actually worked to my benefit, as I was mentored by a senior E prior to moving down the hallway to an ODA. This also allowed the ODA's to get to know my personality, strengths and weaknesses. At the end of my first deployment I had a job with an ODA who wanted me on their team. Good place to learn the ropes before standing on the five yard line IMO.

Bottom Line Last, don't be affeared of the ODB, unless you begin to homestead there,,,
Agreed. Similar experience as you.

The other good thing that being on the ODB is that it's a position where you will interact more with the battalion and Group support elements, quickly learning exactly who does what, where to go to get things done, and who's a turd - a good thing to know on a team.

Last edited by head; 08-07-2011 at 21:39.
head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 21:34   #11
head
Quiet Professional

To add...

Quote:
Shouldn't be on a B Team until you have done your time on an A Team.
If the manning can support it, the B-team can always use a few guys to support the experienced ones... They help out with running around and all the stuff that seems to cause the B-team to not have enough time in the day to accomplish that goal of actually supporting the teams.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:27   #12
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Quote:
You can disagree, but it doesn't make you any less wrong.
Typical 1/75 guy response,,,,

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:52   #13
Richard
Quiet Professional

If I was really interested in getting an 18x contract, I'd be focusing all my energies on (1) getting an 18x contract, (2) prepping for SFAS, (3) and getting through the SFQC.

Just sayin'...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:18   #14
Pete
Quiet Professional

Most 18E slots

Most of the junior 18 series slots in a Battalion are on the A Teams. So it is "Normal" for "most" 18 guys fresh out of the course to go to A Teams when they show up.

But pulling an established guy off an A Team and replacing him with a guy fresh out of the Q right before they deploy is sometimes not the best course of action.

In a case like that SGM's have been known to retain the new guy on the B Team and swap them out after the deployment.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:38   #15
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Most of the junior 18 series slots in a Battalion are on the A Teams. So it is "Normal" for "most" 18 guys fresh out of the course to go to A Teams when they show up.

But pulling an established guy off an A Team and replacing him with a guy fresh out of the Q right before they deploy is sometimes not the best course of action.

In a case like that SGM's have been known to retain the new guy on the B Team and swap them out after the deployment.
Very true. Of course back in our day, the new 18Es spent time in the SigDet before they arrived in the company.

I think everyone should go to an ODA first. Sadly though with the optempo and manning it's not always possible.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote