Who makes the best ankle holsters?

What makes a great ankle holster?

(Good questions for LEO's )

Advice requested.

TS
Old 06-11-2006, 22:01   #2
Goggles Pizano
Area Commander

Never been fond of them TS. Too difficult to draw regardless of weapon choice (in emergency situation either strong/weak side leg draw). Is this your primary or backup weapon system? If primary I say find a better choice (shoulder or waist). If it's secondary then stuff a reliable Smith J frame 5 shot in a padded nylon job (uncle mike's is not too bad). Just my opinion there. Best would depend upon comfort and ease of draw (possible only in a suit or bell bottoms! LOL!). Bianchi and Galco have some nice rigs.
Goggles Pizano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:50   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles Pizano
Never been fond of them TS. Too difficult to draw regardless of weapon choice (in emergency situation either strong/weak side leg draw). Is this your primary or backup weapon system? If primary I say find a better choice (shoulder or waist). If it's secondary then stuff a reliable Smith J frame 5 shot in a padded nylon job (uncle mike's is not too bad). Just my opinion there. Best would depend upon comfort and ease of draw (possible only in a suit or bell bottoms! LOL!). Bianchi and Galco have some nice rigs.

Here's the problem, its 111 degrees I'm either wearing jeans and a tee shirt or polo shirt and slacks. CCW is problematic at best. Winter is the only time one can get away with a "light" jacket here.

Let's play hide the weapon.....

I do not care about "speed" (and I hate little tiny weapons...) I usually carry a USP compact .45 or fullsize USP .45. I already have a "fagbag" and still use it.

I purchased an ankle holster, it works, but its not very comfortable. I was looking to try a few others.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:10   #4
x SF med
Quiet Professional

TS-
a full sized weapon in an ankle rig is not ever going to be comfortable - think about the old "Bowie in a Boot" that guys in the Q used to try (I think just to look cool) I went down in size for knives in/on the boot to a Fairbairn style. Have you thought about a .380/9mm with hand loaded rounds or Glassers? slightly smaller than the .45 possibly a little more comfortable....
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:14   #5
Five-O
Guerrilla Chief

TS...I have tried two different ankle holsters...DeSantes and Uncle Mikes both had pro and cons. Biggest con is comfort....you are always aware of the weapon and it bounces around a bit and as such not a huge fan. I have a buddy who wears an ankle holster on duty and he says its comfortable and he likes it...BUT the weapon he carries is a .25 so its not apples to apples. I have also seen boots that come with an integrated ankle rig...but can't remeber the manufacturer, but never new anyone to use it. In shorts and T shirt weather I use an (Uncle Mikes) inside the pants holster with my off duty Glock 27 or P7. I can wear a pair of gym shorts and a loose Tshirt and it is impossible to detect the weapon. I will be surprised if you find a way to comfortably carry a .45 on your ankle...just too much mass IMHO. The idea of an ankle weapon is to press the muzzle against the bad guys ribs, groin, upper lip, etc.. and squeeze 'til lock- back.. so the caliber is less important in that situation. Just my .02
Five-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:17   #6
rubberneck
Area Commander

Lou Alessi makes a great ankle holster. He doesn't have a website but lightning arms retails his rigs.

http://lightningarms.com/products.htm

Josh Bulman also makes a nice rig. Josh is a protgee of Lou's. I have only had the chance to eyeball a couple of Bulman's rigs but owned an Alessi a couple of years back. It was a top notch piece of gear. Sold it to a friend and have regretted it since then. Lou speaks very highly of Josh.

http://www.bulmangunleather.com/ankle.html
rubberneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:22   #7
Blue
Guerrilla

I have an ankle holster, but experience and horror stories have gotten me away from ever using it on duty. Also agree that it will never be comfortable with a large frame automatic. Mine is a Blackhawk, I chose it because it's a bottom draw--I figured the chances of me being able to pull my pants leg up high enough to draw my weapon weren't very good in an "oh shit" situation on the ground, when I wasn't going to be able to get an effective shot off. Yes, it was weird knowing that there was nothing more than a strap causing it to defy gravity, but that was the trade off. I've gone to a vest holster now, and second the off-duty recommendation of a pants or pocket holster.

Or you could just stick it in your purse like me . It has its own little compartment with dual access and everything.

Blackhawk holster

Last edited by Blue; 06-12-2006 at 12:08.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:26   #8
HOLLiS
Area Commander

Other choices beside holsters, are boot/shoes that you wear. Open top boots, like cowboy or engineer, allows a holster to be clipped to the boot top. Choice of pistol helps to, a such as the chief special (Smith model 36(?)).. The scandium frames are small and very very light. In the 357 Magnum, it is very recoil unfriendly. I would probably go with a old 38 Sp load in those 357 M. Scandiums wheel guns. Such as 148 Gr HBWC, loaded inverted and on the +p side. Edited to add" a longer trouser helps, especially when setting down.

Other Summer possibles is the fanny pack. I re-rig the zipper pulls to look more normal. Having the quick pull zipper set up in the corner or a heavy pistol is a sure give away it is a conceal carry fanny pack. Also, if speed is not so important, a standard not for carry fanny pack can be used.

Also small autos, that just fit inside of your trousers pocket.

Only comment about having a firearm in your pocket, is one that May West once said, "Is that a pistol in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?" Again size is important.

Last edited by HOLLiS; 06-12-2006 at 11:28.
HOLLiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:20   #9
Trip_Wire (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant
Here's the problem, its 111 degrees I'm either wearing jeans and a tee shirt or polo shirt and slacks. CCW is problematic at best. Winter is the only time one can get away with a "light" jacket here.

Let's play hide the weapon.....

I do not care about "speed" (and I hate little tiny weapons...) I usually carry a USP compact .45 or fullsize USP .45. I already have a "fagbag" and still use it.

I purchased an ankle holster, it works, but its not very comfortable. I was looking to try a few others.

I carried a Detonics Mark IV SS .45 in a locally made ankle holster, while in LE uniform for a long time. I got used to it; however, after awhile it did cause problems with my ankle. The fact that I was carrying it with the "bobed" hammer down on a round in the chamber and/or cocked and locked did give me some concerns as well. I could never decide which was best

I never thought it would be easy to draw the weapon from the ankle and of course, so many "Cop" movies & TV programs were showing Cops carrying backups on their ankles, most bad guys would expect you to have one on your ankle.

I share your feelings about carrying anything less then .40 caliber; however, now I find myself carrying a S&W Model 442 .38 Caliber (5 shot) revolver in a Kramer pocket holster, especially when I need to dresss in a suit, etc.

Otherwise, I use a regular black nylon fanny pack with a Glock Model 27 .40 caliber pistol with the extention on that mag for the magazine and the regular mag as the backup. I do have a De Santis pocket holster for the Glock; however, I haven't found any trousers with pockets big enough for it to work for me.

In the winter, most LE's in this area, carried a backup in the pocket of their jacket, which worked just fine as you could have your hand on the weapon in your pocket and not alarm people, etc. I often carried an H&K P7S (9MM) in my right jacket pocket.

Of course they do have those inside the crotch type holsters and Kramer has an undershirt type for small weapons. I just couldn't get myself to get interested in carrying a pistol in the crotch area. I guess that you can carry a full sized pistol there though!

http://www.smartcarry.com/

"To make war upon rebellion is messy and slow, like eating soup with a knife" -TE Lawrence.
Trip_Wire (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:41   #10
Mud Puppy
Asset

TS,

I used to carry a Colt Detectives Special .38 in a ankle rig. My agency changed uniforms a few years ago and we lost the flaired pants legs (yes, they were polyester). There is a slight gait issue when walking. Not a problem if you are going for the pimp look.

Off duty I carry my CDR .45 in a Blade-tech IWB w/ J hooks. Strong side, behind hip. In jeans and a t-shirt it isn't noticable.

Just my .02

Last edited by Mud Puppy; 06-12-2006 at 13:28.
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 16:47   #11
Cincinnatus
Guerrilla

Two folks I knew who wore ankle rigs and were pretty demanding of their gear arrived independently at the Renegade "Cozy Partner" design. I've never tried it, but if I were to go with an ankle rig, it's one I'd look at.

I wasn't certain it was still made, but google shows several dealers.
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 17:54   #12
STR8SHTR
Auxiliary

Quote:
What makes a great ankle holster?
A holster that is comfortable enough so that you will wear the holster on your ankle and after you get used to wearing it doesn't reimnd you that it's on your ankle. A holster that will stay in place while running and walking. One that doesn't chaf the ankle through the sock.

Quote:
Who makes the best ankle holsters?
I was assigned to a interstate criminal interdiction unit for 6 years. Which is a uniformed position. I carried a Beretta 96 as a primary. Prior to being assigned to the interdiction unit I had never considered wearing a BUG. My mindset changed after joining the unit. I purchased and wore the holster linked below which is a Galco Ankle Glove. I wore it and carried a fully loaded Glock 27 in it everyday to work regardless of my assignment for the day. I wore it on the inside of the weak side ankle. It took about a week to get used to it then after that I never gave it a second thought. I only carried it on the ankle while in uniform as a BUG so I have no experience wearing it out of uniform.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp...29&CatalogID=6

HTH's

Last edited by STR8SHTR; 06-12-2006 at 18:01.
STR8SHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 19:29   #13
Endorphin Rush
Guerrilla

Gotta agree with Rubberneck on this one. I've owned a Lou Alessi ankle holster for years and absolutely love it, even though I'm not an ankle holster fan. It's got some kind of padding on the ankle side surface, too. It's just comfortable. And Lou Alessi's leather work is just precise. Right up there with Kramer.

The Eagle Industries ankle holster isn't bad either. Of course, the weapon is carried muzzle up, but it hides larger weapons better. I think, anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alessiankle_autothumb.jpg (8.0 KB, 104 views)
"Think thou that these magnificent, victorious Legionnaires became what they are through some arbitrary stroke of fortune? Nay! They do not sit around congratulating themselves in the wake of each victory. They spend every moment refining and improving their craft. Without apology, they pursue excellence. Each one knows and understands that he alone stands between the empire and oblivion. Watch them! Indeed, they appear to have been born with weapons in their hands!"
Endorphin Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:26   #14
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have to make a purchase or two..... I'll post what I decide on when it arrives.

Again thanks.

TS
(ankle holster challenged)
Old 06-13-2006, 16:20   #15
El Cid
Auxiliary

My disclaimer is that I have not yet used an ankle holster. But... I have been doing much research as the only back-up sized weapon I am permitted is a baby Glock (26/27 only). The one I keep coming back to is expensive, but losing a $400 gun is expensive, dangerous and could be most embarrassing.

It's the Kramer.

K.
El Cid is offline   Reply With Quote