Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Arena

Old 03-23-2019, 19:09   #1
cbtengr
Area Commander

Penn State Wrestling

PSU is the King of the of the hill in the world of college wrestling again. 8 championships in 9 years. You can't take anything away from their kids. They are a dedicated bunch. For years Iowa was where they are and folks hated Iowa. I asked the wife if she thought that folks would eventually hate PSU, she didn't think so. She may be right.
Old 03-23-2019, 19:38   #2
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
PSU is the King of the of the hill in the world of college wrestling again. 8 championships in 9 years. You can't take anything away from their kids. They are a dedicated bunch. For years Iowa was where they are and folks hated Iowa. I asked the wife if she thought that folks would eventually hate PSU, she didn't think so. She may be right.

Another one of the great dynasties of College wrestling Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma, but Penn St may be the best of them all any real wrestling fans will appreciate their system....I always felt that dynasties fail because the best wrestlers in the country eventually want to separate their achievements from the program....if Penn State does it right they will be on top for quite a few more years

As long as the wrestling team climate does not put winning championships over protecting children from predators they will be loved and feared.....Paterno was loved until Sandusky destroyed everything he built winning became more important to the staff and community than its community....and even after the team has been missed

Last edited by WarriorDiplomat; 03-23-2019 at 19:44.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 15:46   #3
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDiplomat View Post
Another one of the great dynasties of College wrestling Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma, but Penn St may be the best of them all any real wrestling fans will appreciate their system....I always felt that dynasties fail because the best wrestlers in the country eventually want to separate their achievements from the program....if Penn State does it right they will be on top for quite a few more years

As long as the wrestling team climate does not put winning championships over protecting children from predators they will be loved and feared.....Paterno was loved until Sandusky destroyed everything he built winning became more important to the staff and community than its community....and even after the team has been missed
My son wrestles at Okie State and we know other kids that wrestle at tOSU and other D1 programs around the country. I agree that PSU's program is a juggernaut that is not getting sunk any time soon. Okie State has fallen behind PSU, tOSU and maybe even Iowa a bit (still consistenly better than Nebraska/... and Okie States win vs. Iowa was epic to watch in person!) .. I think this will start to get corrected once Okie State makes a capital investment in wrestling facilities. John Smith, the ledgendary head coach, is so old school that he has not been participating in the facilities arms race... but I believe that the Admin is going to force it on him.
Old 06-06-2019, 17:56   #4
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

Dad, Bucknell '57, called Penn State "Linebacker U". Now it's "Wrestle U".

"The wicked flee even when none pursueth". Proverbs 28:1
twistedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote