Old 11-09-2019, 17:17   #1
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

Keltec KS7

It's short and light. The pump is smooth and easy to operate. It loads easily. I set up a B27E at 20 meters indoor. I shot 9 rounds of 2 3/4" Fiocchi 1 ounce slugs, 1560 fps and scored well. The sight works very effectively. I like the carry handle. It has some Magpul slots but I don't think I would hang a thing on it. The recoil has a bite. I would use more pectoral and less shoulder next time.

It's affordable and practical. I have it setup with 7 + 1, 2 3/4" S&B Double Buck.

This is my first Bullpup. It's simple and I like it so far. Just my 2cts.

"The wicked flee even when none pursueth". Proverbs 28:1
twistedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 21:33   #2
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedsquid View Post
It's short and light. The pump is smooth and easy to operate. It loads easily. I set up a B27E at 20 meters indoor. I shot 9 rounds of 2 3/4" Fiocchi 1 ounce slugs, 1560 fps and scored well. The sight works very effectively. I like the carry handle. It has some Magpul slots but I don't think I would hang a thing on it. The recoil has a bite. I would use more pectoral and less shoulder next time.

It's affordable and practical. I have it setup with 7 + 1, 2 3/4" S&B Double Buck.

This is my first Bullpup. It's simple and I like it so far. Just my 2cts.
Hey, wow thx for the review. I was just checking this out and sending links to friends. Am really checking this sg out. No worries about mag capacity if it cycles mini shells....would love to see one purpose built for .20ga
Old 11-30-2019, 09:57   #3
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123 View Post
Hey, wow thx for the review. I was just checking this out and sending links to friends. Am really checking this sg out. No worries about mag capacity if it cycles mini shells....would love to see one purpose built for .20ga
Keltec owners group suggests it will cycle mini shells reliably with no modifications. It looks like it will take 10 or 11, +1. I am going to test Aguila Minishells, 5/8 ounce, #4/#1 combo loads.

Last edited by twistedsquid; 11-30-2019 at 16:57.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:55   #4
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Keltec owners group suggests it will cycle mini shells reliably with no modifications. It looks like it will take 10 or 11, +1. I am going to test Aguila Minishells, 5/8 ounce, #4/#1 combo loads.
Let us know how that works out. I saw one at the PX on the rack and that thing is TINY.

I bet mini-shells will take a bunch off of that recoil... as would regular length "reduced recoil" loads.
Old 12-04-2019, 19:37   #5
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

Quote:
Let us know how that works out. I saw one at the PX on the rack and that thing is TINY.

I bet mini-shells will take a bunch off of that recoil... as would regular length "reduced recoil" loads.
It is small, at 26" overall length. I really like the compactness and light weight. It is very easy to handle and maneuver. I ordered the minishells specifically to reduce the recoil with the added benefit of increased capacity. I'll update this thread after testing. BTW, at the $475 I paid I think it's a screaming deal and a great home defense option.

Old 12-04-2019, 21:23   #6
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
It is small, at 26" overall length. I really like the compactness and light weight. It is very easy to handle and maneuver. I ordered the minishells specifically to reduce the recoil with the added benefit of increased capacity. I'll update this thread after testing. BTW, at the $475 I paid I think it's a screaming deal and a great home defense option.
You could load 1-2ea 2 3/4" shells then follow with minis if you wanted more payload right out of the gate... Me? Mag capacity is key. You know the whole, better to not need.. thing.

Reduced recoil .12ga would, IMHO, make a big difference in recoil w/o loss of effectiveness at normal home distances.

I agree that it is a screaming deal. Caught my eye right away. I am however, taking a tactical pause with buying guns. HH6 recently okay ed my purchase of a Beretta A400 Xplor .12ga. Used a bunch of credit card points, but unfortunately, she became aware of the real MSRP of that gun.... Changing subjects... love that gun.. soft shooting, light weight. Beautiful.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:32   #7
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

I find this shotgun very interesting. Kel Tec has had QC issues in the past so I am hoping they are better now. Have they gotten better?

How does this eject the shells? Is there a tube that dumps the shell forward like on their other bullpup designs?

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:38   #8
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
I find this shotgun very interesting. Kel Tec has had QC issues in the past so I am hoping they are better now. Have they gotten better?

How does this eject the shells? Is there a tube that dumps the shell forward like on their other bullpup designs?
The shells are loaded and ejected in the same location, from the bottom, behind the pistol grip. The shells eject straight downward.

This is my second Keltec firearm. I own their SU16B 5.56. I have heard of quality issues years ago, primarily with some pistols. I have had no issues with either firearm, as of yet.

Old 12-05-2019, 13:31   #9
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

My only personal experience with a Kel Tec failure is a RFB locking up so bad the owner could not extract a live round. It took some serious coaxing over more than an hour to clear. Kel tec rquested a return for repair and the owner promptly sold it.

I did get to put a few successful mags through it and it was a fun gun to shoot. The muzzle break was very effective if you ask my sinus cavities.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 17:58   #10
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

Minishells update

The KS7 will take 12+1 minishells and feed/eject reliably without mods. . I used Aguila slugs and scored well at 15 meters. Recoil is dramatically reduced. I've got it setup with 12, 4/1 combo loads for home defense. A very handy critter.

Last edited by twistedsquid; 01-29-2020 at 18:19.
Old 04-27-2020, 13:01   #11
twistedsquid
Guerrilla

American Rifleman awards the KS7 "Shotgun of the Year". I picked one up last summer and was glad I did. It's a really handy piece of hardware. My 2cts.

Old 04-29-2020, 11:31   #12
Uman
Quiet Professional

I went this route

After a ton of research I went this route as a shotgun will never be my primary. so it will stay with a birds head grip. A breacher + weapon.

https://rifleshooter.com/?s=shockwave

https://demonstratedconcepts.com/recoil-strap/

******* Demonstrated Concepts shooting birds head grip shotguns

******* JM shooting a Shockwave and listen to what he says. He uses one for HD.

https://www.opsolmini-clip.com
Uman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:56   #13
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:

Compact n seems very manueverable.

I’m not willing to lose the ability of loading straight to port to switch from buck to slug n vice versa.

Reduced recoil federal flite-control or leo shells are the way to go imho.
Fist size spread at 40 yards I kid you not. At 1050-1100 FPS I can rack a few under 2 secs. During my LE shotgun instructor certification, I outshot the Fville seasoned SRT with those. I’ve since sold them to one QP here.

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote