Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 07-03-2018, 20:26   #16
Bleed Green
Guerrilla

My deepest sympathies to you TS, all your friend's family, brothers, and the people he touched through his travels. You all will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 07-03-2018, 21:14   #17
ProudGSMom
Asset

Service connection

TS- I am very sorry for your loss, one we all share when we lose a warrior. We are poorer as a nation each time.

I’m searching for an article I read a few months ago about CJD, and if I can find it I’ll post it here. I came across it and read it while researching other rare brain diseases and possible service connections, but because it wasn’t directly related to the research project I was working on, didn’t save or cite it. I’ve also reached out to someone who is very good and experienced in finding service connection to rare diseases.

I have a VSO who may be able to help, if you’d like to PM me, I’d be happy to connect you.
~
"Islam" means "Submission" we are Americans, we do not submit.
~
PS, Sgt. x, you met him before we deployed. He is asking for Double Stuffed Oreos.
~
~~~excerpts from letters home, PFC Andrew Meari, KIA 11/1/10
ProudGSMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 21:17   #18
PSM
Area Commander

May your friend Rest in Peace, Jeff. Condolences to the family and friends.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:20   #19
Scimitar
Area Commander

I seem to recall a GB passing from CJD from eating tainted meat in A-stan, perhaps 3 or 4 years ago. I might be mistaken.

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:49   #20
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

After much reading on CJD it looks like it would be a long shot to attribute his death as "service related". Thanks for the input, he just left way too soon. He was only 54.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:42   #21
ProudGSMom
Asset

Agreed

TS - there is a lot of emerging research on CJD and other brain disorders and the dots are there...but...because CJD can be a spontaneous mutation in an individual with no possible exposure, the causal link is difficult to prove. What's more is a directive I found by the VA stating there is no causal link, in response to an American Red Cross release of info regarding possible CJD exposures to our military.

What I've found fascinating is other, promising, emerging research hypothesizing a causal link between TBI and a host of brain and CNS issues i.e., dementia, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, as well as CJD and other spongiform encephalitis-type diseases. Given the past decade and a half of war, given this enemy's preference for IED's, I fear an epidemic of these and other diseases in the futures of our combat veterans.

...and all of this matters not at all when the loss is so personal and the pain is fresh and raw. I am sorry for the loss of your brother, you have my deepest condolences. He, and you, as always have my grateful thanks for your service to us all.
~
"Islam" means "Submission" we are Americans, we do not submit.
~
PS, Sgt. x, you met him before we deployed. He is asking for Double Stuffed Oreos.
~
~~~excerpts from letters home, PFC Andrew Meari, KIA 11/1/10
ProudGSMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 21:47   #22
exsquid
Quiet Professional

I am not in the medical field but my understanding of this disease is that if he was exposed during his service it would have killed him years ago. Google SSG James Alford from 5th Group for a really messy story regarding one of our own and what happened with him and his wife's struggle to correct the record. IIRC, he was exposed to tainted meat while doing a MTT in Yemen.

x/S
Old 07-05-2018, 23:40   #23
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsquid View Post
I am not in the medical field but my understanding of this disease is that if he was exposed during his service it would have killed him years ago. Google SSG James Alford from 5th Group for a really messy story regarding one of our own and what happened with him and his wife's struggle to correct the record. IIRC, he was exposed to tainted meat while doing a MTT in Yemen.

x/S
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ghlight=Alford

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:14   #24
PRB
Quiet Professional

RIP, sorry Jeff.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote