Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 09-04-2008, 12:44   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Jess Halls Seasoned Salt

I’d like to preface this post with a few facts; I am a carnivore, not to be confused with herbivore or omnivore. If it fly’s, walks, swims or slithers I've probably eaten it. Some individuals might think; "tonight I think I’ll just have a salad" or "I’ll just have some pasta and sauce", or a slice of pizza, not me, sometimes I just have a steak, no sides, just steak. Medium Rare, always medium rare, with just a bit of salt and fresh cracked pepper. That’s it.

If I do happen to have sides, I’ll eat the steak, pork chops, roast, rack of lamb, fish, chicken, quail, deer, buffalo etc etc etc first, then the sides.

I prefer my own cooking most of the time and I have the cookware, gadgets, grills, spices, oils, salts, wines, etc etc etc to do the job. I have dedicated an entire cabinet to spices, I have a dozens and dozens and dozens, maybe a hundred, different kinds of spices. I have about ten different kinds of oils, six-eight different types of vinegars and at any given moment there's 15-20 different types of cheeses in my fridge. I have a small garden, in it there’s thyme, basil, oregano, mint, parsley (curley), sage, tarragon etc etc etc.

All that said a couple of years ago Ambush Master sent me some seasoned salt, "Serendipity Seasoned Salt" that is. Now with all those spices I don’t have (or thought I needed) seasoned salt. Ambush Master said this stuff is different and I had to try it. So I did and I've been hooked ever since.

Today I just received in the mail a four pound tub of it, when I made the order I told the owners "I was tired of running out of their seasoned salt." I had always ordered before in smaller shaker sizes.

I don’t have any stake in the company and I’m not getting paid to say this, but this stuff is the best dammed seasoned salt I've ever tasted.

Go try it; if you like just the right amount of seasoning this will hit the spot.

http://www.jesshall.com/

"Serendipity Seasoned Salt" is the one I purchase most of and really enjoy on a steak.

If you order some tell the owners; "A Special Forces Master Sergeant recommended it"

Team Sergeant
Old 09-04-2008, 13:00   #2
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Will have to try some. They ship to APO's that is a big plus and they are from TX....

Thanks for the posting
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 13:00   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Will have to try some. They ship to APO's that is a big plus and they are from TX....

Thanks for the posting
Send me your address, I'll send you some.
Old 09-04-2008, 13:37   #4
Air.177
Quiet Professional

I've been eating this stuff literally my entire life. The Halls are Great folks and very good friends of our family. Mr. Hall Flew SAR birds up in the Aleutian Islands during WWII and went on to Run Weatherford Oil Tool afterwards. He invented serendipity during a family cookout when he ran out of the seasoned salt that he normally kept on hand. Anyone with a Chicken Express Restaurant nearby can get some Serendipity Seasoned salt in both regular and hot varieties in packets from them, but to my knowledge, they are the only chain that I know of who consistently keep the stuff on hand.

Good times,
Blake

PS:
TS, if you haven't checked out Pensey's Spice Company, I highly recommend them for quality and selection.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 13:58   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

AM got me hooked on it as well.

I use the seasoned pepper too, it is great on everything, especially baked potatoes.

You can make pretty much everything but broccoli edible with this, to include some stuff that may have been dead and laying in the sun too long, if you get my drift.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 14:13   #6
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Thanks!

TS,

I do all the cooking here. My spice rack/finishing salt rack loads first and second shelves of kitchen cabinets; I need to see them and grab them easily. I think the right amount of the right spices make the meal, IMHO. Having a lot of spices is not the whole story for me, the quest is for the "right" spice/seasoning is. I really like what finishing salts bring to the table.

Like you, meat is what I love the best, medium rare. I do like some surf with my turf. For dessert, a few slices of meat if you please. Salad and bread is always filler if there is not enough meat.

Jess Halls Seasoned Salt is next!

Thanks again!

RF 1
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 14:21   #7
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
PM Sent.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 15:47   #8
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Jess Hall's Seasoned Salt & Pepper:

TS: Thank's for the recommendation, I have been looking for a new spice to put on the prime porterhouse steak that I broil to medium rare. I tried that chemical substitute KCl (Potassium Chloride) and it was terrible, it ruined a good steak. Regard's, tom kelly
tom kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 16:58   #9
nmap
Area Commander

Thank you, Team Sergeant! I've just sent in my order...

Acronym Key:

MOO: My Opinion Only
YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary
ETF: Exchange Traded Fund

Oil Chart

30 year Treasury Bond
nmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 17:20   #10
JumpinJoe1010
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I would like to try some myself. I am a big fan of Tony Chachere's seasoning, but I am always looking to improve my ribs.

"Men who live by playing with knowledge may be called scholars, but they can never be men of wisdom." Hiratsuka Raicho
JumpinJoe1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 17:27   #11
PSM
Area Commander

Thanks for the recommendation, TS.

We're going to visit my mom in Weatherford over Christmas and will pick some up.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:22   #12
Penn
Area Commander

My order is going in today. I'll get back to you on the product.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:25   #13
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
My order is going in today. I'll get back to you on the product.
I'll bring you some next month.....
Old 09-05-2008, 12:30   #14
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Thanks for the tip TS ......I do the cooking at my house. I've been using Lawry's for quite a few years now,however I'm willing try something that maybe better. I ordered the 4lb tub with the free dispenser. I live in Ms. The chicken is what I'd also like to try but they don't have a place anywhere near here. I'll let you know the results.

GB TFS
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 17:18   #15
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

I called and talked to Mrs. Jess Hall today (I was making an order for a friend) and she said a bunch of you had sent in orders! She asked me if I knew Ambush Master, I said yes, and then she said you must be the Special Forces Master Sergeant

I think you all will be pleasantly surprised when you receive your orders.

Team Sergeant