Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 04-10-2016, 16:16   #16
RedLegGI
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Not Chocolate Chips

Those are the post DS/DS Desert Camouflage pattern. And I'd say post, post because of the sleeve pockets. Regular issue in 1993 didn't have sleeve pockets.

My hat says

HAT, CAMOUFLAGE
PATTERN: DESERT
DLA 100-90-D-0586
84(?)5-01-327-4834

Your tags should read similar.
Totally slipped my mind to check the tags on it for this posting. From the contract number it dates to '97.
RedLegGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 17:50   #17
k-rub
Quiet Professional

Probably modified DCUs. We did same thing with BDUs prior to going to SW Asia. Take the lower pockets and have them sewn on the shoulder. Add velcro wherever you want.
k-rub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 21:04   #18
RedLegGI
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-rub View Post
Probably modified DCUs. We did same thing with BDUs prior to going to SW Asia. Take the lower pockets and have them sewn on the shoulder. Add velcro wherever you want.
Quick question. I've read that some units did it by unit and others individually. What was your experience with that?
Old 04-11-2016, 00:29   #19
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLegGI View Post
I've read that some units did it by unit and others individually. What was your experience with that?
Accidently comes to mind.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 15:01   #20
FlagDayNCO
Guerrilla

DCUs

In our deployment, the DCUs were done collectively. One guy purchased a portable sewing machine and went into business. The tailor shops would charge an arm and a leg, if they would even do it.

Our lower shirt pockets went up to the chest area, sewn back on. The original chest pockets went to the sleeves, as they were slightly smaller than the lower pockets.

I recall getting a WTF message from our leadership, as guys started wearing them on post, which really burned the garrison circus. So, we had to put our BDUs back on until we flew out. Not only were there military men wearing uniforms with no unit patches (we wore rank, ARMY and name tapes), but they were not in compliance with AR 670-1. Oh the anarchy....

The Cold War didn't end, communism still lives and has come to America.

The Insurgency is going well, especially with the enemy at the table of every branch of our Federal, State, and Local Government.
FlagDayNCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 19:31   #21
RedLegGI
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagDayNCO View Post
In our deployment, the DCUs were done collectively. One guy purchased a portable sewing machine and went into business. The tailor shops would charge an arm and a leg, if they would even do it.

Our lower shirt pockets went up to the chest area, sewn back on. The original chest pockets went to the sleeves, as they were slightly smaller than the lower pockets.

I recall getting a WTF message from our leadership, as guys started wearing them on post, which really burned the garrison circus. So, we had to put our BDUs back on until we flew out. Not only were there military men wearing uniforms with no unit patches (we wore rank, ARMY and name tapes), but they were not in compliance with AR 670-1. Oh the anarchy....
I've seen a few of the uniforms without the unit patches before and made the assumption they were probably QP related.

Did your unit happen to do any velcro name tapes/army tapes etc? I've seen a few of these and sometimes its a mixture of all those mentioned and it can be just the soldiers name that is removable.
Old 04-16-2016, 17:17   #22
FlagDayNCO
Guerrilla

Every man had to have one complete uniform with name, rank, ARMY tape, and unit patches. So it was told.

Name and ARMY tape were easy to see Velcro onto. Unit patches were harder to come by as the clothing sales system was playing catchup with deployed personnel.

Rank was mostly pin on, as again, DCU compatible sew on rank was in short supply. We tried to stay within AR 670-1, as even in country, the jack assery of any headquarters area reared it's head. We dreaded trips to Kandahar and I can't imagine what Kandahar/ Kabul was like.

What are your trying to do, put a uniform together? There are plenty of pictures on line and in books.

The Cold War didn't end, communism still lives and has come to America.

The Insurgency is going well, especially with the enemy at the table of every branch of our Federal, State, and Local Government.
FlagDayNCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 20:40   #23
LimaPanther
Asset

Many of us did it in Nam in the 60s, as LRRPs, when we couldn't get a set of Tigers. We used black boot dye on our jungles to make them resemble Tigers.
LimaPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 20:43   #24
RedLegGI
Auxiliary

Quote:
What are your trying to do, put a uniform together? There are plenty of pictures on line and in books.
It's actually for personal knowledge as I run across these uniforms at surplus shops and ebay (read as minefield). I find personal accounts of use from a legit source very valuable but I do absolutely rely on pictures as well. When I'm not sure on something or have questions I try to ask here as you guys are the best source available.

I used to collect WWII US uniforms, helmets, gear etc. When I got back from Iraq I changed focus to items used down range in OEF and OIF. I used to collect just regular Army stuff but kept bumping in to special forces uniforms, helmets and a smattering of other things. I was just regular army so a lot of this was completely new and unknown to me.

I like to try and find out some history of items I pick up so it can stay with them. Sometimes I get a complete background others its just assumptions. That being said I honestly do appreciate you guys taking the time to comment and give some insight.
Old 04-24-2016, 15:31   #25
ODA 226
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Every man had to have one complete uniform with name, rank, ARMY tape, and unit patches. So it was told.
10th Group in the 1970's wore sterile uniforms with nothing on them. No rank either. We also painted OD green field uniforms with a mottled black pattern and painted green splotches on our over-whites.
Old 05-14-2016, 19:34   #26
HardRoad
Quiet Professional

Location: Georgia, Florida and North Carolina (its complicated)
SOFMOD uniforms and Bagram

Quote:
We dreaded trips to Kandahar and I can't imagine what Kandahar/ Kabul was like.
The teams that were working with the AMF and ANA were wearing beards by the time I got there the first time. The funny thing was that the only people who ever seemed to get worked up into a frothing rage about the beards was our own rear echelon - the rest of the army on Bagram seemed to just put it down to those SF guys doing SF things.

The good news was that if you were off of Vance and had a beard, no-one outside the CJSOTF seemed to care what kind of uniform you were in. We all took a regulation uniform when we went to Bagram, but we were usually in sterile SOFMODs when we went to the PX or for dinner at the UAE SOF compound.

(Of course, I have no idea what the CSM to CSM conversations behind the scenes were like - maybe there were Chinese self-criticism meetings going on at the CJTF SGM club, and that's what led to all the facial hair shenanigans from the CJSOTF leadership.)
HardRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:33   #27
Five-O
Guerrilla Chief

To subdue the current ACU one only need throw them out and put on woodland or multicam. Easier than painting.
Five-O is offline   Reply With Quote