Old 02-21-2009, 04:17   #1
Assyrian
Asset

Custom Long Range Rifle

Looking to get a custom .338 Lapua made. Any suggestions on rifles makers, specs, scopes, ect... I've never shot a .338, but the review i've read on it is excellent. I've mainly delt with military rifles (i.e M24, M107, M40) I do want to put a cap on the rifle and scope at $6,000. I really like the Van Dyke Tactical Eliminator, and i've also seen Jered joplin's work, very impressive.

Mack
Assyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:41   #2
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

.338 Lap

Longerange1947 will suggest a Sako TGR. he is the go to on that one as to scopes I have my preferences but very little here approve of my choice. Mine's the Leatherwood M-1200. I won't defend it here. Use your search button.

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:08   #3
koz
Quiet Professional

Get something built on a Surgeon action and a Krieger Barrel..
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:13   #4
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Your dollar cap is going to limit it somewhat. That will limit the Surgeon Action somewhat as the cost is equal to the quality of that action. Look at the pieces and see what you come up with for a cost.

I am sitting here trying like mad to remember the Canadian gun. Very good and was not that expensive. As mentioned by Blitzzz, the Sako TRG is very nice. The cost, however, has risen dramatically over the last year.

The cost of the ammo will set you back on your heels if you are not prepared.

Blitzzz, you don't need to defend your scope, it is the one you like and works for you. That is the main thing, and only thing, that counts in this business.

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:58   #5
koz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrange1947 View Post
Your dollar cap is going to limit it somewhat. That will limit the Surgeon Action somewhat as the cos tis equal to the quality of that action. Look at the pieces and see what y0ou come up with for a cost.

I am sitting here trying like mad to remember the Canadian gun. Very good and was not that expensive. As mentioned by Blitzzz, the Sako TRG is very nice. The cost, however, has risen dramatically over the last year.

The cost of the ammo will set you back on your heels if you are not prepared.

Blitzzz, you don't need to defend your scope, it is the one you like and works for you. That is the main thing, and only thing, that counts in this business.
Is the Canadian gun you're thinking of the PGW Defence Technology -Timberwolf?

One thing to note about the Surgeon XL action is it comes with a Metal bottom and AI mag - takes about $350-400 off the "cost" of the action...
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:01   #6
rubberneck
Area Commander

Longrange, do you have an opinion on the Nesika actions? A guy at my club has a Nesika rifle and it looks like a really top notch stick but I don't have enough experience to say one way or the other.

http://www.nesika.com/Merchant2/merc...Tactical-Rifle
rubberneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:49   #7
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Koz - Thank you! That is the weapon I was talking about.

Rubberneck - I have not messed with the Nesika rifle and can not give you an opinion. It does look good, but not having fired it, looking and doing are two very different things, as we have all found out.

Rick B.

Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Author unknown.
Old 02-21-2009, 13:47   #8
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

CZ 550

Any thing wrong with this one? That and a excellent Barrel (Kreiger,Shilen,Hart etc) and Stock of choice should out shoot most of us. Blitzzz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-22-2009, 12:32   #9
Justinmd
Quiet Professional

A TRG-42 is very hard to beat. I have a TRG-22 and it will shoot with my custom guns. Several buddies have TRG-42's in both 300wm and 338lapua. Just about everything on that gun is better than most of what's out there, my one dislike is the ejection port is too small to get my fingers in there. A custom gun is a very long wait, 6mo+. Either gun will be able to outshoot you more than likely.
Justinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 18:17   #10
longrange1947
Quiet Professional

Blitzzz - Have not seen that weapon so can not comment except for what I have read. It looks good to go and should be a good weapon as it comes from a good background. The price is right as well.

Rick B.

Author - Richard.

Author unknown.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:25   #11
Tuukka
Guerrilla

Another recommendation for the TRG-42.

We have thousands of rounds through our TRG-42 and TRG-22 and could not be more pleased. Excellent ergonomics combined with very good accuracy right out of the box.

If I am not mistaken, the TRG-42s are c. 2500-3500 $ there?, so even when adding a quality scope, you should be easily under 6000$.

The TRG-42 has also proven itself in military use in several countries on this side of the pond.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:35   #12
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Building a rifle.

Longrange1947... the CZ 550 is a new mauser reciever, as I remember about $500, then the barrel any brand about $500 or less. He can select any stock he likes from numerous companies. then a JP enterprise's recoil "eliminator" for about $150. and scope of choice ,even a Schmidt-Bender. and have i all assembled buy a Gunsmith of choice and all under $6000. Easy Blitzzz

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-23-2009, 07:51   #13
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

First question is what do you wish to do with a long range custom rifle. If you go down to the Fur section you can see some results of one of my rifles. It is for hunting. Killing elk out to 1000 yards is easy if you can find a cooperative elk. Is there some reason you need the 338 Lapua? It has a nonstandard case head that is the same size as the 378 Wby series.

A 308 is really simple and really accurate and will easily make it to a 1K target if you just wish to punch paper. No need to spend a fortune to kill a piece of paper.

The whole issue revolves around selecting the right tool to do the job but we do not know what the job is so you have to tell us.

In any event, AVOID NEW NESIKA ACTIONS LIKE THE PLAGUE they were bought a few years ago and the new management has run them into bankruptcy and the original owner has left to start Phoenix Machine so the current Nesika actions are sloppy with bad tolerances. Phoenix Machine was having some start up problems but may have solved them. If you can find a Nesika action that is at least four years old you will have a good one.

The other company that makes a first class action to fit a Lapua is Bat.

Barney Lawton died recently and his QC was down during his illness but it may be back up to snuff now. Nobody has measured the tolerances of a current action to my knowledge but Lawton might be back to high quality.

Now then, there are two many high quality barrel makers to list but Kreiger is good, Rock, Broughton, Lilja. The thing to do is to select a twist that will will handle the 300 SMKs. Berger is coming out with a new bullet soon that will provide an alternative to the SMK. They have the tooling and are beginning the run up to production I believe.

Scopes depend upon the use. Anything from a Luepold Mk 4, to a Nightforce to a S&B will provide the resolution for long range.

Triggers are usually Jewell @ $200 or you can go cheaper with Rifle Basix. Weight once again depends upon job to be done.

You should have at least a 20 MOA rail and once again depending on what it is you want to do you might go to 30 or 40 MOA.

As far as gunsmiths, I would suggest that you select a gunsmith who has an established reputation for building rifles to do what you want to do. If it is hunting then I know quite a few. If it is some type of competition then I don't know very much about them.
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 13:34   #14
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Buffalobob's good list

Sa I said BB's list is well thought out. As 308 out two 1200 meters wih the 175gr Seirra HPBT. 30-06 easily to 1400 meters with a 240 gr Seirra HPBT. and I have 200gr Seirra HPBT in 8mm Mauser to 1200 meters also.
If you want a 338 already set up nicely other than the SAKO there is the McMillan TAC 338A. Go to the site and look it over. Blitzzz

Thomas Jefferson