Old 04-15-2012, 18:18   #1
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

harden deployment weapon boxes

Looking to get some new weapon deployment boxes. Here are a few, looking for reviews. You have them; good, bad & ugly.

M4

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail_...=472-M4-M16-12

M240/249

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail_...Case=472-M240B

M2 HBMG

http://pelican.com/cases_detail_mobi...se=472-M2-RCVR

Thanks

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 18:38   #2
Snaquebite
Area Commander

In my day...the engineer built them....

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 18:39   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I like the Hardigg Storm, but I think they were bought out by Pelican recently.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 19:51   #4
Tyrant
Quiet Professional

Are you looking for reviews or are you recommending these?
Old 04-15-2012, 20:35   #5
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant View Post
Are you looking for reviews or are you recommending these?
Looking for both. Realy any & everything on what has worked for you. We currently have some pelican boxes. Both I think the Tm gotten them back in 2004. Our last trip they took a beating. So looking for what guys see using now. What they bought that suckef and wasn't worth their worth in money.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
Old 04-15-2012, 20:51   #6
Tyrant
Quiet Professional

Gotcha. For most deployments, we roll with a rolling weapons bin that we put in the ISU first then load it up with all the big weapons and any other small stuff thats leftover. Assigned weapons go into individual pelican cases which get stacked on the bin. Excess sights and optics go in a pelican case and they get bubble wrapped. Same thing for a deployment when we dont take an ISU, we just take all the individual pelican cases but leave the rolling bin because we dont usually take the big guns on those trips.
One of those M4/M16 pelican cases you had in the first post, showed up in the team room before the last deployment and DID NOT like them. Guys had to move their sights around to make them fit, weapons bumped up against each other in transit, undergun lights fell off the weapons in transit and it took up WAY too much room in the ISU and we couldnt even use it when we got there. The weapons bin at least served as a storage bin when we unloaded it.
Im not saying it sucks but we gave it back to supply when we got back.
Old 04-15-2012, 20:54   #7
Papa Zero Three
Quiet Professional

Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but Job Site storage boxes can be picked up for a decent price, they are durable, can be locked and offer a small degree of security that plastic Pelican and similar cases cannot offer. Some of them you can add wheels to so you can roll the box when needed. Downside is that they are larger, and a bit heavier but IMO, its worth it, plus it doesn't scream weapons case. Cut yourself some wood if you want a rack/cradle for each weapon or a few 2x4 brackets to hold up a piece of plywood so you can create multiple levels inside the box for different items. Best part is you can use the box for other things once you pull the weapons out of it until you need it to store/ship weapons again.
Papa Zero Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 20:55   #8
Tyrant
Quiet Professional

Those are exactly what we have. Love em. Have one in the team room without rollers and one roller for deployments.
Old 04-15-2012, 21:00   #9
Froggy
Quiet Professional

Our team uses the 1700 long cases (I'm pretty sure that is the model number but I'd have to check) for everything but the HMG's and they work out really well.

http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1700

Each team member has a box and when we deploy, go TDY, run SFAUC, etc we put all our sensitive items in our individual box: M-4, M-9, PRC-148, NVG's, GPS, suppressor, short barrel, IZLID, etc. Accountability is easy because we keep 2062's taped to the inside of the lid. Every once in awhile a case will crack or something, but it is few and far between and IMHO it's worth it to enable each guy to have his own box and be responsible for his own stuff.

The sniper weapon systems, SAWs and 240's have their own cases also. Can't keep the tripods in there but still, its nice. We like these because they have wheels and are thin, so they are easy to stack / move.
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 21:04   #10
Tyrant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
Our team uses the 1700 long cases (I'm pretty sure that is the model number but I'd have to check) for everything but the HMG's and they work out really well.

http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1700

Each team member has a box and when we deploy, go TDY, run SFAUC, etc we put all our sensitive items in our individual box: M-4, M-9, PRC-148, NVG's, GPS, suppressor, short barrel, IZLID, etc. Accountability is easy because we keep 2062's taped to the inside of the lid. Every once in awhile a case will crack or something, but it is few and far between and IMHO it's worth it to enable each guy to have his own box and be responsible for his own stuff.

The sniper weapon systems, SAWs and 240's have their own cases also. Can't keep the tripods in there but still, its nice. We like these because they have wheels and are thin, so they are easy to stack / move.
Same here. Looks like great minds think alike.
Old 04-15-2012, 21:28   #11
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant View Post
Gotcha. For most deployments, we roll with a rolling weapons bin that we put in the ISU first then load it up with all the big weapons and any other small stuff thats leftover. Assigned weapons go into individual pelican cases which get stacked on the bin. Excess sights and optics go in a pelican case and they get bubble wrapped. Same thing for a deployment when we dont take an ISU, we just take all the individual pelican cases but leave the rolling bin because we dont usually take the big guns on those trips.
One of those M4/M16 pelican cases you had in the first post, showed up in the team room before the last deployment and DID NOT like them. Guys had to move their sights around to make them fit, weapons bumped up against each other in transit, undergun lights fell off the weapons in transit and it took up WAY too much room in the ISU and we couldnt even use it when we got there. The weapons bin at least served as a storage bin when we unloaded it.
Im not saying it sucks but we gave it back to supply when we got back.
Thanks for for post on the Pelican M4 box, 472-M4-M16-12 Rifle Case, the first one I post. Looks good, but like you said. If user had to remove all your bells & whistles, the sucks.

The JobBox is one we are looking at. I got those for the Charlie Committee when I was there. Durable, rolling, strong, heavy is the only bad thing.

I like the 1700 boxes, but current Bravos don't like having do many boxes. I think if is paperwork driven. " I go from 4 boxes to 17 or 20."

We have these Kobalt Tool Chest each section minus the Intel. These are sweet and worked great for or last trip.

http://m.lowes.com/mt/www.lowes.com/...AID=1023896036

No I don't want to use Tuff Boxes for weapons.

For our Big Weapons we have made done our of wood. But with our M4s it's all the attachments; bells & whistles with no "protection".

TR.. Yeah Pelican bought out Hardigg-Storm. You know, you get rid of your competitors.

Thanks... Keep the commits coming.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 04-18-2012, 20:59   #12
Froggy
Quiet Professional

I get the paperwork thing WRT to having 17 boxes vice 3-4, but it works for us and honestly, it can be mitigated pretty easily. Contributing to that is the fact that we only have one Bravo on our team and he's a buck sergeant so there is a little bit of "this is what my TL / TS want me to do so I'm going to do it" dynamic going on.

I've sub-signed our entire property book to the senior 18B/C/D/F/E, who it turn sub-signs it the ODA members, as appropriate. The weapons are a little tricker with the whole arms room situation when we are back at FCCO. I still think it's better than the ball'o'rifles-in-the-Toughbox solution that we had when I showed up.

If we could get our hands on some of the bigger Pelican cases we would make use of them, but it's hard to get money to buy pencils right now so I don't see it happening for us. Thank God JCETs are still around or we would have run out of batteries and SSSC long ago.
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:09   #13
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Thanks for the post & commits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
to get money to buy pencils right now so I don't see it happening for us. Thank God JCETs are still around or we would have run out of batteries and SSSC long ago.
Speak the truth froggy. Only time ODAs get supplies is when you deploy OCONUS.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS