Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 06-03-2004, 21:06   #16
Razor
Quiet Professional

Don't know much about the performance of these, but they come in decent, muted colors and won't empty your savings account:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/...qx/product.htm

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...8001&langId=-1
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 21:09   #17
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Razor
Don't know much about the performance of these, but they come in decent, muted colors and won't empty your savings account:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/...qx/product.htm
Wouldn't count on you, me, or him fitting into the only size (Small) that remains available at STP.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 21:23   #18
Adam White
Auxiliary

FWIW, the conventional Army also has the Gen II Gore-Tex in the inventory, though both are still issued. Some non-divisional posts no doubt still have neither or only the 1st generation available at their CIF.

I managed to leave Korea with the new pants, but was unable to swap out my old coat (I have little love for that damn bucket they call a hood).

Aafes Military Clothing Sales stores still only sell the 1st generation stuff - I don't know about NEX.

2d Generation parkas are available commercially at U.S Cavalry - though you will pay out of your ass for it (though comparable to or even cheaper than high end civilian models of similar construction). I am pretty sure they have black, but not sure about OD green.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:06   #19
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

I've had my ECWCS Gen2 parka for a while now, and have worn it with a decent columbia fleece in very, very cold conditions doing 'active' work. It's still in great condition and kept me warm and dry. Loud as hell to move in, but that goes away as the parka gets broken in.

Solid
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 04:14   #20
skibum
Asset

NDD,
Check out the "Red Ledge" series of rainshells sold by Campmor (www.campmor.com I think). They have a $50 non Gore-Tex, non-laminate, waterproof, breathable jacket, w/ hood, in OD (or sage, or loden, or whatever). A few years ago it was Backpacker Magazine editors' choice. It's very light; that, combined w/ a thin base layer will be excellent for moderate to heavy activity in 40 degree weather. A heavier insulating layer (SPEAR fleece, Patagonia R-3/R-4 fleece, etc) can be worn when you slow down (to eat, prepare camp/hide site, hunting blind, etc).

Patagonia makes excellent gear, and lots of it, enough that the choices can get confusing. The PCU mentioned above was $5 cheaper than the comparable Patagonia item would have been with the pro deal. Arcteryx also makes fantastic stuff, although very pricey (even with a ski patroller's pro deal).

Razor,
How's that for my first post? And something I'm actually qualified to talk about, too!

Last edited by skibum; 06-04-2004 at 04:27.
skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 06:53   #21
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Razor
Naw, you're far too literate (just kidding, Marines).

NDD, got a question for you. Does the shell need to be breathable? I ask, as I feel that Gore-Tex and similar membranes don't work very well unless there's a significant difference between the ambient temp/relative humidity and the temp/RH inside the jacket. In your locale with its rather mild temps and high RH, would a warm fleece jacket or soft shell, with a lightweight, waterproof, non-breathable shell to put on when it starts to really rain be a better solution? Never spent any time down south, so this is more a question than suggestion.
I don't know. That SAS parka was just right. If they made it in another color and didn't charge an extra $50 for having "SAS" in front of the name, I would get another one. Its about like Houston in the winter here.

AM, thanks for the offer, but I'm looking for a little more military and a little higher end.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 08:46   #22
Razor
Quiet Professional

Skibum, glad to see figured out the secret to the keyboard.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 17:21   #23
Adam White
Auxiliary

Gen II Military Gore-Tex Jackets at US Cavalry.

They have black, woodland, and desert. Depending on your size, they may be out of stock at the moment.

290 bucks! I'm sure you have spent that much on Oakleys, though .
Old 06-04-2004, 17:22   #24
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Or $100 or so at the surplus store or on Ebay.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 19:46   #25
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam White

290 bucks! I'm sure you have spent that much on Oakleys, though .
Don't go there! i'm going to the new oakley store here manana.

Thanks for the link.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 06-05-2004, 06:52   #26
lrd
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
Wouldn't count on you, me, or him fitting into the only size (Small) that remains available at STP.

TR
If you can't find your size, you can call Sierra and see if they are expecting more in. I've done this before, since I'm usually looking for SM when the web-site shows only LG XLG.

I got my Mountain Hardware Gore-Tex XCR FTX parka through them at half price.
lrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 10:26   #27
eggroll
Guerrilla

went to the STP storefront in Cheyenne..... not too shabby, but what a BORING town!
Old 06-05-2004, 10:42   #28
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

NDD,

Stay away from camo as its against the law, yes most folks in the business can get away with it, but all you have to have is one dick head gringo hater and they can confiscate it for their own use.
Old 06-05-2004, 20:03   #29
Polar Bear
Auxiliary

NDD, Are you looking for a jacket or an anoraks?
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 20:07   #30
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I don't care, just something to keep me from getting cold and wet.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?